Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley's weekly interview with Gerard Whateley in 2018

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Invigoration 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Skids wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Really... every week?! Nothing good can come from this.

Not in your world of doom & gloom duck, no.

What does make you happy duck? <snip, the rest wasn't really called for, but the question in question can stand - the mods>

Skids let me put this into perspective for you.

He's already under the pump - regardless of what he says about external noise - this is just going to make it worse because every week he's going to have to front up and make more excuses for his and the clubs short comings. Now sure you can say 'but what if we're winning all the time, etc etc' well sure, that's great but if that is the case, he won't need an extra weekly interview to express that - the football will do the talking - so only bad can come from this weekly meeting.

No use shying away from it. Gerard Whateley's a very discerning journalist/media personality that has a lot of respect for Buckley, he typically always paints Buckley in a favourable light. He always ensures the conversation is productive and relevant too, it won't matter much whether we are winning or losing, he gives Buckley a good platform to speak about where we are at.

That's how I've always felt when the two talk anyway, I think it'll be good, much better than being on Fox Footy and better than a generic 'Coach's Address' on the Collingwood website.

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:48 pm

The key take-outs IMO occur towards the end (at the 21:25 mark)

Whately: "Broadly speaking, what do you think footy will look like in 2018?"

Buckley: "I think that the balance of offence and defence is always the fascinating thing for me and I think we’ve gone through periods where the defence or press has really challenged the offence, and then at times when the offensive structures have changed the ground looks a little bit bigger and harder to defend. I think the balance is probably as knife-edged as its ever been. I still believe that the best defences will be the best teams, but you need to be pretty good on the offensive side of the ball as well.
But I think we are in for really see-sawing battles. I think there will be a great deal of transition I would have thought - the ball’s moving quickly across the field. Having said that there’s some teams that like congestion - you know Sydney have never been one to want an open game. We don’t want an open game of footy, we want to see it lower transition and higher stoppage. It’s our willingness to impose ourselves and each team to impose their game style on the opposition and that’s where you’ll see the nuances of each team. And I think that’s what makes it so brilliant to watch because that’ll unfold before us over the first month and we’ll think that we’ve got an idea and then it’ll change again."

Buckley is not going to make many friends at the AFL (and with their employees, the umpires), nor with Chan7 and Foxtel by pursuing a congested game style of rolling stoppages.

Any doubt about how determined the AFL is in forcing teams to play a more 'televisual', free-flowing, fast transition and higher scoring game was extinguished after Rnd 1 of the AFLX. The AFL wrote to the AFLX coaches and advised (instructed?) them to loosen up their game styles. Outrageous interference.

Expect umpires to punish Collingwood's high stoppage brand of footy this year (but what else is new), and TV commentators to bemoan the ugly rolling maul . But who at Collingwood cares what they say if the game style works? Its about winning, not ratings, and I'd rather see an ugly win than a fancy loss.

Remember, the TV commentators and AFL execs are hangers-on who work for the entertainment industry, not for the sport of Aussie Rules .

Last edited by Woods on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:52 pm

Invigoration wrote:

No use shying away from it. Gerard Whateley's a very discerning journalist/media personality that has a lot of respect for Buckley, he typically always paints Buckley in a favourable light. He always ensures the conversation is productive and relevant too, it won't matter much whether we are winning or losing, he gives Buckley a good platform to speak about where we are at.

That's how I've always felt when the two talk anyway, I think it'll be good, much better than being on Fox Footy and better than a generic 'Coach's Address' on the Collingwood website.

Absolutely agree. As supporters, I think we'll get a far more accurate insight into what's happening at the club with Whateley's interview. Bucks trusts him as a journalist to be accurate and non-sensational. Great example of this was in the first episode with Bucks disclosing about contacting Stevie J re JDG. I doubt whether many other journalists could have got this directly from Bucks.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:39 am

Good interview.

Always liked the way Whateley conducts himself in the media and he's one of the very few journalists I respect, so I can see why Bucks opens up more to him than with other journalists who are only interested in clickbait and sensationalist journalism.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:37 pm

Another "great" interview coming up this week. Bucks will again sound intelligent and he'll say all the right things and Collingwood fans will cream their pants.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:50 pm

Buckley's interview that went to air this morning. 26 mins in length.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=182516

Includes a review of the match against the Hawks and interesting comments on Maynard's 'staging' penalty, selection potential for Mayne and Scharenberg towards the end. Some pointed questions from talkback callers too.

(Note: there are probably half a dozen stories that the media will spin off from this interview. Best to get the info from the source interview here, both for accuracy and context)
Bunton Barfly 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:34 am

Thanks for the 'heads up' on the Whateley interview(s). I, also, respect Gerard's skills to ask the right questions and draw extended responses. Gerard also seems to have refreshing insight on the game of AFL ... and if he is ever critical, beware, because he is probably correct in his assessment.

Floreat Pica
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Here's the third installment for the year. Went to air this morning:

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=183445
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:35 pm

Thanks Woods. I always forget it’s on so your link is greatly appreciated.

It’s good to have a coach who makes himself available to the media and Whateley does a good interview. Nothing to cream my pants over though.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:58 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Another "great" interview coming up this week. Bucks will again sound intelligent and he'll say all the right things and Collingwood fans will cream their pants.

I cannot even listen to him anymore, I often try but its _always the same excuses_ and he refuses to take any responsibility ever.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Daffy change the record. If you don’t wanna listen, don’t. I like hearing our coach on the radio talking about the washup. We got done by the flag faves and he explained why and covered many other topics. It’s becoming boring champ.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:17 pm

Damien wrote:
Daffy change the record. If you don’t wanna listen, don’t. I like hearing our coach on the radio talking about the washup. We got done by the flag faves and he explained why and covered many other topics. It’s becoming boring champ.

I listened to the 1st week but I can't so wont from now on unless someone 'heads' up he's saying something different- as I said, its always the same, and same as the pressers - but either way - side issue GWS cannot be flag favorites, What they've won like two of their last 14 games on the MCG? Something like that anyway. That's hardly inspiring. They cannot be favorites with that kind of record there.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:17 pm

Damien wrote:

+1
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:24 pm

Interview No. 4 went to air this morning.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=186124

Topics covered include Buckley’s view of the club’s introduction of a post-game “savouring the win” session (an idea from Maxwell’s time at Melbourne Storm); the mid-field group and Pendlebury’s buy-in to his taking on a “legacy moment” run-with role against Carlton; Sidebottom’s sling tackle and Buckley’s acceptance of the incongruity within the rules of the game; similarly, Selwood and the ‘ducking for frees’ issue; delays caused by the score review system; Sam Murray’s Rising Star nomination, character and prospects; “who’s in the queue” for senior selection after a massive VFL win; the Pies' changeable forward line structure; the “strong brand of footy” the Pies will be taking to Adelaide this week.

EDIT: corrected GWS to Melbourne Storm

Last edited by Woods on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hm Leo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Thanks for the link. Interesting of the VFL team Buckley mentions Mayne first and said he was excellent. 34 possessions is excellent. The question I have. Is his performance because it was a one sided game, on the back of everyone else, or was his performance one of the reasons? Whatever it is pleasing to see that even though he has spent most of his time in the VFL still picking up his pay cheque, he is really putting that effort to be back in the seniors, hard to have that needed confidence with all the criticism the past 12 months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10   

Jump to: