Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley's weekly interview with Gerard Whateley in 2018

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
So, who will we deal De Goey to, I wonder?

Silly statement. What I took from it is that the club isn’t 100% committed to a new contract which is exactly where we should be. Just take a look back through the threads on this board. Before last weekend there were plenty saying get rid of him. He caused a lot of disruption and pain to his team mates and coaches. With a brilliant game last week we all saw what he is capable of on the field and naturally we all want him to stay. One performance on the field though doesn’t absolve everything but it’s a good start. If he continues to do everything right on and off field for the next 10 weeks it’ll be a nobrainer. We’ll offer him a new contract and pay him his market worth and he’ll want to stay anyway. Not rushing into a contract negotiation sends him a good message I reckon. Also what is said publicly does not necessarily reflect what is said privately. Bucks pretty much said that right at the end and was clearly keeping his powder dry.

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:02 pm

Topics covered in this morning’s interview included:

Worsfold taking media to task during a press conf. this morning; Effect of in-season departure of coaching staff (eg. Mark Neeld leaving Essendon); How teams find their identity (brand); Collingwood’s brand evolving “from the inside out”; New cricket coach Justin Langer and expectations weighing on him of “managing the nation”; Clarkson’s café meetings with Gillon McLachlan; Increase in free kicks paid in marking contests (up 28%); Blocking tactics being heavily coached across AFL; Change in umpires’ interpretations of rules; Umpire touching penalties - “scratching my head”; Leadership day yesterday at Collingwood with focus of “body-mind-spirit”; Buckley once contemplated self-harm during his playing days; Role of younger clubmen to “inform” their elders of importance of mental health issues; Darcy Moore being courted by other clubs vs Collingwood training him to be better.

Audio podcast available here: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=196615
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Topics covered in this morning’s interview included:

The business of football - contending depends on President, CEO, Football Manager, Senior Coach, and Captain “being on the same page” re. vision and public communication; Impressions of St Kilda - No.2 in the comp. for “defending their front half really well”; Goal-kicking accuracy - “can get better if you care less”, and the ‘Loosening the Grip’ talk given to club by John Bertram (Australia II skipper) during Malthouse’s coaching tenure; West Coast v Richmond game - impressed by WC’s belief and Richmond’s attempted comeback - analysis of WC’s successful attributes; Trivial banter about Josh Thomas’ views on Buckley’s “rugged” new beard; Achieving the “Stevie J. Effect” with Jordan De Goey - JDG’s recent best form - “external noise” - JDG may face Dale Morris and Easton Wood against Bulldogs this week - JDG self-identifying the improvements he needs to make - bad and good media attention re. JDG’s suspension and contract negotiations - expectations of young people having the skills to navigate AFL careers - extremes of “sack him now” vs “keep him because he’s an important player”; Gerrard Whateley’s view on JDG’s future at Collingwood - Buckley doesn’t disagree; Buckley’s view on Buddy Franklin’s elbow incident.

Audio podcast: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=198132
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:43 pm

Cheers again Woods. Quite simply the most insightful and entertaining 20 minutes of footy talk of the week.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:46 pm

Bit of a bonus offering - Buckley had a 20 min. interview with Whateley (+ Dermott Brereton and Bob Murphy) on SEN’s ‘Crunch Time’ show on Saturday morning.

Early part covered analysis of the win over the Dogs then continues on to discussion of match-day machinations in the coaches’ box; Grundy’s development and the idea of deploying him as a pure mid-fielder with Cox taking the ruck; the predicament of Darcy Moore’s placement when he comes back in the side - not really needed in defence now with Dunn and Scharenberg anchoring the back line; the “game within a game” - mid-season contract negotiations in professional sport; review of the Pies’ season so far and how they sit at 6-4; the loose pact behind the Pies’ coaches and players growing/shaving their beards; “vulnerability and honesty” - Buckley confessing his mistakes to the players.

Podcast here: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=199442

(Have to wait and see whether this interview will replace Buckley’s regular spot this week, usually Wednesday morning).
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:47 pm

Buckley interviewed by Whateley this morning, but fairly brief (given the interview last Saturday).

Topics covered included:

Last night’s inductees into the AFL Hall of Fame; How Sheedy once tried to poach Buckley to Essendon; Differences in personal “connectedness” to the club as a player and now as a coach; Personal and professional benefits of playing footy on Friday nights; Buckley coaching his kid's Under-12s team - good fun, creating self-esteem, ugly parent syndrome, kid’s footy game plan (“first gives”, “share the ball”, “play on and run on” at all cost, layers etc).

Audio podcast here: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=242754
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:07 pm

Here we are. Haven't heard it all myself yet so listen in to find out. No doubt that the expectations surrounding the Queen's Birthday game will get a mention somewhere).

(Excuse my ignorance, but what the blazes is this thing (a game?) called Fortnight? Apparently Jamie Elliot is a gun at it. I gotta get out more).

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=244374
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:49 pm

^

Fortnite is a video game, on playstation and Xbox. I'd heard about it, it's apparently the latest thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortnite

Not my cup of tea.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Fortnite massive in my house with two
Teenage boys. Bux is a brilliant orator.

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:21 am

I see. Thanks. But if Jamie Elliot wants to see zombies he only needs to watch Carlton play (boom tish).
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:37 am

I see too. Before those posts, I would have thought that Fortnight is a game in which every week the CFC tells us that Jamie is a fortnight away from resuming playing.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:56 pm

https://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/life-and-relationships/parents-are-losing-their-sons-to-fortnite-the-hottest-game-in-the-world-20180607-p4zjzm.html

Quote:
“I haven’t seen any game like this that has caused as many problems for parents,’’ he said.

His advice? Parents worried about their son’s obsession with it should ban it, forcing their sons to go "cold turkey" in a 90-day detox. That length of time was required to reset the brain.

Two parents I know have tried that. In both cases, their teenage sons broke down bawling, pleading for a second chance. In one case, the 14-year-old boy sat screaming in a corner.

“It’s really, really addictive; I’m seeing with my own eyes,’’ one mother said. “It’s become his whole world. He judges himself on how he does,’’ another said.

I was going to say that, although it seems Jamie is behaving like a teenage boy, it's better than drunkenly peeing in wheelie bins... but now I'm not so sure.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:04 pm

Whateley and Buckley on-air this morning speaking about:

AFL’s possible new rule changes and evolution of the game; Collingwood’s ball movement against Melbourne; Improvement of Collingwood’s skill level - “numbers are not everything” and “knowing when to go faster”; Racial vilification at games (re. Betts incident); Wells’ foot injury - “he pushed it” to come back on in 2nd half - his future opportunities at Collingwood; Stephenson playing “stand out” games - impacts more than just scoring; Bottom-8 teams - don’t underestimate them; Enjoying the Bye; The Big Freeze slide - Murray Swinton and family, and football is not everything.

Audio podcast available here: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=245817
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:42 pm

Jeez I love hearing Bucks talk. He's all class. I'm proud that he's the leader of our club.
Saffy 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:15 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Jeez I love hearing Bucks talk. He's all class. I'm proud that he's the leader of our club.
I agree - he speaks beautifully. We are very lucky to have him as our coach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10   

Jump to: