Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Backline improvement our key to success

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:35 pm
Post subject: Backline improvement our key to successReply with quote

There's been a lot of concern about our setup forward of the middle. Where are our crumbers? Will Mason make it? Do we apply enough forward pressure? When will Darcy have an impact? Can Elliott and Fas co-exist and can they stay on the park?

These are fair questions and that line is far from settled. But for me, the key to our improvement will be renovation of the backline. The lack of movement from defence and then connection with the midfield and forwards has been our major weakness for a while. Win the ball in the middle and we look good, even if our forward line isn't star studded, but allow the opposition to take the ball forward and we get stuck in quick sand, finding it very difficult to counter attack. The reason for this is a combination of two main things: lack of run and quality penetrating kicks.

Are there any positive signs coming through?
Well, yes. Last year was a significant improvement over 2016. Dunne made a difference with his kicking. Maynard's improved play saw his run and kicking come to the fore as well. Then there was the successful move of Crisp to defence, also adding to our run. The play of Howe, Scharenberg and Langdon also helped to improve our general tidiness from defence. Further up the field the run of WHE made a big difference to our ball movement, as did that of Phillips - finally Sidey had some help as a transition runner.

So is the problem fixed or do we have more to do?
In terms of types, our defensive line still needs some work. We need one or two players with genuine pace and the ability to take the game on. We need a tall who can defend but more importantly jump at the ball. We've missed this type of player since Reid's dropoff and move to attack. And we need a long term replacement for Dunne.

What off-season moves have we made to address the problem?
Moore moving to defence was our only chance at a Reid type defender once we missed on Lever. I think this will prove an excellent move. For mine, setup and rebound from defence has become more important than dominant one on one players up forward. Transition goals rarely require big blokes taking contested marks and Moore has the ability to be one of the best intercept and rebound defenders. He also could be a top forward, so it will be interesting to see how committed we are to the move.

Murray, as a type, was a perfect pickup for our defence. It remains to be seen how good he will be as an AFL player, but his recruitment made a lot of sense, particularly with the sad loss of Sinclair and to a lesser extent Ramsay. We also recruited a couple of other likely looking back half players: Murphy and Appleby, but I think it's too early to talk about them.

I guess the one move that confuses me is the move of McLarty forward, if that's a permanent thing. He looked good as our replacement for Dunne. Though, we do of course need a replacement for Reid, so it works either end with the need to recruit one more tall next year. His move forward does put doubt into the hope that we have a KPF already ear-marked though.

We've put quite a bit of work into improving this area of our game (moving on Brown and Frost was the start), and we definitely saw some gains last year, especially as the season went on. Get this right and the game becomes easier for everyone: more open players, meaning better ball use, more easy goals meaning better conversion. Make further gains this season and it will go a long way to us pushing into the eight.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent post and an expansion on my own thoughts recently posted.

I don't think there is any doubt forward transition has been a major problem within our side for a number of seasons now and to often we have seen our midfielders dominate possession only to see the benefit not fully translated on the scoreboard.

This speaks of a disconnect between the defensive and forward areas of the ground to me and a lot of this can be attributed to not only general skill errors but a lack of quality transitional defenders who can be the architect of many successful forward entries.

Basically get a very good one or two and they are the AFL equivalent of an NFL star quarterback.

The move of Moore will be an interesting one to see evolve over the season.

Entering his 4th year it's when you expect to see more consistency on display in a kpp so I expected improvement regardless of his position but with Lynch a possibility for next season and Reid if fit surely able to match Moore's goal kicking contribution the time is probably right to experiment and see if he has the potential in time to be a star key defender in the mould of a Rance.

One thing it will teach him hopefully is the importance to remain focused and in the game throughout an entire match as last year I thought he lost interest and became a little to lazy with his defensive efforts up forward at times when he lost the initial contest or the ball was directed towards a teammate and a spillage ensued.

Do that as a defender and you'll be quickly exposed.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:16 am

In a Sam Murray post it was about a back man (Murray) with ball in hand coming out of defence and his vision saw Cox across the other flank
With a perfect kick on the run big Mason (without close opponents) did not have to move as ball right at arms length for the big fella to pluck

Not seen such precise ball movement from our defence a lot —add this man to what the future holds for us with Darcy and of course Jumping Jeremy our
defence IMHO is going to be huge for us

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:31 am

Yep some very good signs from the lads down back. Moore will give us good coverage against the athletic giants in Buddy and that stupid looking Joe Daniher.

www.facebook/the hybernators
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:38 am

3RD degree now there is a good point on Darcy in the fact of his athleticism which has been short as hens teeth in recent times

Reid although quiet good an Howe too I reckon Darcy if he make,s CHB his own will put the athleticism back in back six

Mind you the new boy Murray ain’t no slouch

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:42 pm

Great Post "Ink"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: