Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down Dogs - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

DE numbers interesting.

Howe 93%, Pendles 92%, Maynard 87%, Langdon 84%, Dunn 83%, Reid, Sidey 82%

Treloar got plenty of the ball but an under 60% DE still leaves questions.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Only saw the second half, drove home from NSW, got back in time to put the TV on and watch the last half.

Without having seen the first quarter, I liked what i saw.

The Murray kid looked good, as did Smith.

Cox showed that if he's able to get a running jump at the ball, he can clunk contested marks and kick goals. I really like the idea of him and Grundy a a tandem act.

Moore with that blonde hair, geezus he looks like his dad and moves like him. First I saw of him was when he took that mark running backwards early in the 3rd and I did a double take because I was seeing peter again.

I'm not incredibly excited for the start of the season, I'm feeling quite blase about it actually, but I hope we do well and I start getting the feeling back.

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:34 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
But didn't we have the worst forward line ever selected?? Rolling Eyes

At 1 goal 10 there you would have had to have agreed at least a little Wink

Meh. Only caught the second half really and boy am I glad about that. Got to see Cox start to clunk them after missing a few and Grundy plucked one or two too. We can't understate how important it is that those guys hold their grabs. We are a totally different team when they sort all that out. Cox finished with 4? Yep... I think the commentators had a point about him only playing on the inexperienced Naughton but then its not like Cox is a veteran either. A good game to the guy.

Good to see Varcoe stretch out and not ping anything. Stevo didn't do a lot that I saw but I got a really good feeling about him. Murray looked great running off half back and his kicking was decent enough for mine. A good opening match for him.

I'm looking forward to 2018 now. Hopefully a little less of last week and a little more of the display after quarter time this week. Saw some good run and link up today
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:37 pm

^ Murray's DE almost as poor as Treloar's.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:40 pm

but 630 metres gained.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/collingwoods-sam-murray-provides-the-fascinating-solution-to-the-teams-defensive-woes/news-story/fc7139960817e96a31186718e7058675

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:46 pm

per Glenn McFarlane

Nathan Buckley has confirmed Jamie Elliott and Daniel Wells won't play Round 1 against Hawthorn, following the Magpies' morale-boosting win over the Bulldogs at Moe.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:48 pm

A good win resultant by working bloody hard and with the squad today experience in Fasolo ,Elliott ,Greenwood etc. are getting close to game
fit.
And add less McLarty ,Daicos,Wills and Sier we could have that good season that’s eluded us

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:49 pm

Much more positive than last game, but this stat shows why you never read anything into practise games: tackles 71-44 our way. I think it was fairly clear that we wanted this game more. In a practise game this is the number one factor in deciding a winner and it doesn't tell you much about which team is going better.

My only takeaway from the game is that I like the way Murray plays. We definitely need this type of player in our defence.

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Donny wrote:
^ Murray's DE almost as poor as Treloar's.

Treloar is held to higher standards. Treloar cost 2 #7 picks and over 3 quarters of a million dollars a year. Fast, footy smart, well prepared players that can kick, especially under pressure are hard to find outside of the top 10. We could have had 2. Instead we have Treloar. We need his disposal to be elite. He had 6 non-free-against clangers today

Murray cost us a second round pick and maybe a couple of hundred k in wages. 2 of his ineffective disposals in the second half were handpasses to players under pressure. These are counted ineffective and brought his DE down by almost 10% alone. He had 2 non-free-against clangers from 24 stats. So his disposal was decent enough - especially for his first go in new colours and in March.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:07 pm

... and don't get me wrong. Treloar had a great game. Hard to argue with his numbers and impact today. But if Simon Buckley got it almost as much and used it slightly better than Nathan Buckley one day, you'd be pretty happy with his efforts
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:13 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I'm not incredibly excited for the start of the season, I'm feeling quite blase about it actually, but I hope we do well and I start getting the feeling back.

Exactly. Today made amends somewhat for last weeks shitfesta.

Intelligent rotations and player management whilst playing in very trying conditions. Tick.

Yes, the disposal accuracy is still down, but it was blowy out there.
Let's save the real acid test for round 1 shall we?

With Degoey and Wells now ruled out of round 1, this may very well be the starting 22 to face the Whoreks, although I'd prefer Daicos in the mix.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:17 pm

For both Murray and Treloar, DE% isn't that important (as a general stat it's not very important for anyone - Jack Frost was a DE% gun). Treloar is an impact player, with many disposals either in close or on the burst. A decent comparison is Dangerfield who's DE% has been below the best as well (similar goes for Martin). Dangerfield has improved his kicking as his career went on, I'd expect similar from Treloar but it's not a condition on him becoming elite (if he's not already there).

Murray was breaking lines in today's game and taking risks. You need to be the absolute best to have great DE% under those conditions. He did very well and a stat more important than DE% for him is metres gained: 630 which was the most for the game.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Poor DE when you're disposing the ball under pressure is different to kicking to the opposition when you are under no pressure. Smith is an example of the latter. Treloar and Murray is an example of the former.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:43 pm

Bucks' Press Conference:

What did you make of that, and what were your thoughts when it was 1.10 at one stage in the game?
Quote:
"The scoreboard is the scoreboard. I thought we showed improvement from last week. We worked on a few things through the week, mainly defensive and we had seen that come through. It was really specific on what we needed to improve after quarter time and we were able to do that. I thought we were still pretty competitive in the first quarter even though the scoreboard didn't look that way, but we played the way we wanted to play for the most part and that's the encouraging thing".

Were you pleased with the forward set up and the way it worked toward the end? Are you working toward locking that in for the rest of the year?
Quote:
"We've got two or three guys that will be important parts of our forward structure when they're back up and going. Elliott, Fasolo, De Goey and maybe even Wells, but for the roles we've been executing and training, it seemed to fit okay. Bulldogs pressure was pretty good and they're a good defensive side and they value defence. It was good to be able to maintain some fluency in our movement and it wasn't all change angles or all down the line. There was a couple of dimensions to it. The big fellas impacted and the smalls impacted so that was encouraging".

How much confidence will Mason Cox get out of the match?
Quote:
"I think late last year he really took some steps, not just at AFL level but at VFL level. He really went from almost clunking them to taking them. That was one of the reasons why we were rapt that he decided to stay with us after being courted by a few other clubs. It's a reason why we've probably manipulated our structure around getting him and Grundy into the mix together. As I said before the game, the two forward structure with two talls in Reid and Cox or in Reid and Grundy is yet to be proven, but when you see a day like today where the big fellas are used and are necessary to go down the line at times but then surpassed at other times, I think there's a good balance in that. Cox will take some confidence from that and he looks dangerous when the ball is in this area".

There's a good balance behind the ball with Moore and Howe in those roles as well?
Quote:
"They played 70 to 75% each. That hit out will be important for both of those boys and then again next week to really sharpen up into round 1. You can see the aerial power that they have alongside say, Tom Langdon. I thought Sam Murray was good even in the air as well. We've got a few options there and it's amazing when you have a better performance how many more options it looks like you have to potentially last week when we played really poorly".

De Goey won't play in round 1, but of the three players you mentioned earlier (Elliott, Fasolo and Wells) what confidence levels have you got of them playing in round 1 and what's the week or so ahead for them now?
Quote:
"We're not projecting Elliott to be available. He'll probably be [available] in round 2 or 3. Wells will be the same. Fasolo has played a couple of games now and he's ready to go if his form warrants. That's probably where we're at with those boys".

De Goey is a little bit further down the track and Greenwood as well?
Quote:
"Depends on how he [De Goey] recovers. Greenwood is still taking a little bit more time and we don't expect to see him in the early stages of the season. The guys you saw out there today [will be available]. We actually had a really dour performance against Richmond in the VFL on Thursday night, but we've got some boys there who have had strong pre-seasons so we've got depth in regards to guys who are ready to come up if called upon to play a role. We played 24 today ultimately, so there's a few more there".

Josh Thomas - After all these challenges he played the last nine games last year and he's really stepping up isn't he?
Quote:
"Yeah it was always going to take a little bit of time to comeback after what he'd gone through with time out of the game and it shifts pretty quickly. He was our best performed midfielder and earned another opportunity today and he's come through and playing some really good footy. He's as clean as anyone around stoppage and he has great vision with his hands, and he's got some legitimate speed so we saw all those strengths come to the fore today".

Murray has to be [playing] in round 1 surely?
Quote:
"You won't be on match committee, but we will have that discussion. Just because it's in the question doesn't mean it has to be in the answer [laughter*]. It was a solid performance. We've been pretty hard on Murray, by deliberately not playing him last week because there were a couple of areas in his game where we really wanted to see him improve and didn't reward him for something he could do better. He will take some confidence out of that, he's put his hand up and he will be in the mix for round 1".[/i]

Hawthorn do have some small forwards, which means you probably need some [small defenders]?
Quote:
"We were clearly looking at that with Appleby getting a game last week. He had a really strong pre-season, and in the end it was Murray in for Appleby out this week. It gives us a few more options for those small defenders. It's funny how when you look after your front half and you structure the defensive unit up a little bit better from the front line how the backs are able to do their job a little bit better when you can slow down an opposition's ball movement".

How important is Tom Langdon to the system?
Quote:
"He's got some great strengths. Aerially, he's really strong and he will continue to fly for the ball. He makes really good decisions off ball. He gets good positioning against his man. He's a very confident player, so he plays with a lot of belief and we love that about him. He's missed a lot of footy so he's pretty hungry as well because when something is taken away from you for that long, you sort of what to make the most of it. He's had a really strong pre-season and he's in good shape".

You've had a few things going on during the off-season, how good is it to get one on the board?
Quote:
"I hadn't noticed that. We have probably gone under the radar a little more to be honest. There's still been things that take place and things that are reported on, but internally we're probably getting better at not letting that define what we're doing. We're keen for our football to do the talking and for us to be in control of our own story I suppose. I think we're doing that better and if we look after first things first which is improving our football, getting better as individuals and letting our strengths come to the fore, so the rest will blend into the background a bit more".

Travis Varcoe - Did you see that incident in the final quarter?
Quote:
No.

What about the Brodie Grundy incident?
Quote:
No. Seriously, I didn't see it [laughter*]

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-03-10/buckley-speaks-after-jlt-win

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:54 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Poor DE when you're disposing the ball under pressure is different to kicking to the opposition when you are under no pressure. Smith is an example of the latter. Treloar and Murray is an example of the former.

That’s a fair point. Obviously nobody is defending poor kicking but Treloar and Murray both usually carry the ball before they kick it.
They generally kick under pressure but their total distance covered is usually 70 odd + metres with the run and kick. That “ two possession distance “ required for the opposition to pump the ball back, at least gives us time for our defenders to set up in response.
You would rather turn over the ball in your own forward line than your own backline anytime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8   

Jump to: