Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Zimbabwe 2.0 (South Africa)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
Firstly, as to the statistics, I think it is very probable that any reformist government committed to redressing the economic condition of black South Africans could have achieved better than that, especially as the period in question covers a commodity supercycle. I can’t prove it, but those seem to me fairly modest achievements in a rich country in 25 years.

As to black South Africans having the vote, well, voting everywhere comes within a constitutional structure designed to create stability and prevent demagoguery, and the constitutional structure of a very fragile, politically immature society full of resentments and inequality could have been structured to limit the power of the ANC and hinder corruption. I am not proposing a specific solution, but let’s brainstorm a few constitutional ideas as follows :

1. The parliament for the next thirty years will have equal representation of people classified as white, black and Asian colored, in a ratio of one-third each. The armed forces shall have no more than 50% black South Africans.

2. An international panel of jurors and statesmen will be established to set targets for the progressive inclusion of black South Africans into economic life and politics, and to oversee its execution by the government. This international panel shall appoint a president serving the normal functions of a head of state, including the appointment of heads of the armed forces, which shall be ratified by the international panel. It shall also appoint and oversee the workings of an independent commission against corruption in public life.

I didn’t think that my point about democracy being “given” to Iraq needed ironic quote marks, but perhaps it did. Societies which have been brutalized and broken for a long time do not tend to prosper under a summary transition to unfettered democracy. See Iraq, see Russia, etc.

Finally, I was not thinking of Mandela, who seems to me probably sincere, though his entanglement with “necklace Winnie” should always make one pause. My objection is to the sanctions leviers and the demonstrators in safe western towns who demanded the immediate dismantling of apartheid and transition to black majority rule without considering the lessons of history. They sleep easy with their consciences - no doubt, far more easily than the person who gets the boot in the face at 3am, far away where their wish was fulfilled.

I just feel like democracy is the least of Iraq's problems right now, and while you can point to the way it was achieved as the root of that country's dysfunctions, much of that had far less to do with the spontaneous transition to a new form of government than everything else that came with it.

On South Africa, I'm not going to give you any howls of outrage; I just don't think the idea of giving white people (who make up less than 9% of the population) a 4x outsized racial quota is going to fly – and that's putting to one side the question of whether such racial quotas could ever be a good idea anywhere, let alone in a country with South Africa's history. Would you ever suggest such a solution for, say the United States or Australia, giving black or Aboriginal politicians a ceiling on representation for the betterment of the country? Perhaps those howls of outrage you predict might not be so unjustified after all...

More to the point, I just don't think it's a good solution, even in a hypothetical world in which such a proposal was able to get mainstream traction. Do you really think the country's functionality can be directly predicted by what percentage of white (and other non-black) South Africans happen to be in government? If so, why?

The second suggestion is to turn the South African into Bosnia/Herzegovina, with the UN (or some other equivalent body) on hand to administer it. Let me put this hypothetical to you: if the benevolent forces of the world could solve South Africa's crime problem (which we know can only come from alleviation of poverty, better access to education and employment, better law enforcement services, and so on, all of which essentially come down to a) money and b) better targeted spending), why is it so far from being solved right now? Why are there so many countries in the world in which people live in similar levels of squalor, and in which organised crime and vigilantism flourish? Are we going to put this international administration in charge of Somalia, Libya, Syria and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, too? Let's face it: the world's problems go much, much deeper than anything this fantasy could ever even begin to resolve. I think we might need to keep brainstorming.

Last edited by David on Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:40 am; edited 3 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:12 am

I can't recommend any offhand.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:33 am

^ the racial representation idea makes no sense at all, except it is South Africa - where race is clearly the fault line that is going to lead to murder and disaster for millions of people when success was possible. We don’t have to generalize the principle here. It was a unique case.

My Iraq reference was a throwaway line, reflecting the fact that Iraq’s democracy, dominated by Shias, has served to inflame the Sunni population. It too needed very strong stabilizers. But the two cases are different in almost every other respect. Every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way, as Tolstoy said.....

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:26 am

^ David, I think you may have edited your post to pose a question since I first replied to it.

In response to the question you posed, the idea of a kind of international protectorate in SA seems to me justified as a special case, because the international “community” did so much to dismantle the old South Africa. In a sense, it forced regime change on the country, when it would have been better (for all communities in South Africa) to force development goals on the existing regime, which (unlike the present regime) was competent to deliver them. Unlike the US, which at least tried to repair Iraq, the international community did nothing to support South Africa, despite having engendered the parlous state and casual brutality in which it now languishes.

As to your second question, it’s highly debatable that South Africa’s crime problem stems from lack of money. That seems to be your answer to all social ills, but I dispute it. South Africa, for all its many unpleasant features and poverty, had a low crime rate until the 1980s. What happened at that point was the breakdown of civil authority, prompted by internal and external pressures, and a soaring rate of violent crime as a result - 20,000 murders a year, in 2017. It’s always an interesting question whether people would rather live under moderate oppression with civil security, on the one hand, or in freedom and fear on the other. You might, again, ask the Iraqis about that.

In any event, the key point here is that the international community, rightly offended by the racist ideology of South Africa, forced change upon it, and then looked the other way once the bleeding began. South Africa is a missed opportunity to create a beacon for Africa because, perhaps, the biens-pensants don’t actually care as much as they pretend to.

In response to your question regarding the practicality of my suggestions, I’d argue that while the old order stayed in place, such a structure might have been negotiable, had enough unsentimental people who really cared been around to negotiate it and manage it within an uncompromising civil authority. It might not have worked, of course - Africa has a way of smashing its future - but it was a better historic bet than the rainbow happy-clappy wager.

Riffing on the interesting exchange between P4S and ptid in the Trump thread, South Africa might have grown its way out of trouble if it had kept enough of what worked. Instead, it is on the zero-sum path to Zaire.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:00 am

Mugwump wrote:
As to your second question, it’s highly debatable that South Africa’s crime problem stems from lack of money. That seems to be your answer to all social ills...

You've said this to me numerous times in the past as if it's a peculiar obsession of mine, but I have to admit that I'm not sure I understand why. What is policy other than the allocation of money (either directly, or indirectly by proposing a service, law or other process that requires a certain financial allocation in order to be carried out)? And if we're not talking about policy, then what are we talking about?

I understand that, like many people throughout the political spectrum, you seek to change not only government policy but also culture. That's fine, but how are you going to change a culture (an extraordinarily difficult thing to do at the best of times) without in some way allocating resources to doing so? What does that actually mean, in practice?

Whenever I talk about "throwing money at a problem", I'm simply asking a) what you actually want to do and b) how (or else I'm proposing some policy myself). If you would like, say, a whole international framework set up in order to essentially run South Africa in place of its elected politicians, that costs (probably billions?) of dollars – money that, if we had that amount floating around, could already be spent on helping build infrastructure and housing in South Africa, stimulating the economy and so on through development funds, NGOs and the like. The fact that Western countries aren't currently pouring that amount of money into South Africa's development indicates that we would be equally unlikely to want to devote our resources into putting it under foreign administration (even in the unlikely hypothetical that the South African people and political system agreed to such an arrangement). That's all I was pointing out when I mentioned money above.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:45 am

If I have said it to you numerous times, it is probably because I have sensed, on each occasion, that you are advocating that spending more public money on something will solve it. I thought that was what you were proposing above but if not, then apologies.

Some policy choices are about prioritizing resources, but not all. Too often we have to allocate money to alleviate the consequences of bad behaviour because we don’t have a theory about what causes it. Or we know what causes it, but we simply do nothing to prevent it, except spend money to alleviate the consequences. Many policy choices are about which institutions you empower, how you staff them, what you choose to license or interdict, etc. perhaps that causes money to flow from a to b, but that’s really a technical issue rather than a policy issue.

On the topic, my point is that some more accountable version of the existing SA regime should have been maintained in place, as it was the only way that South Africa was likely to maintain a potent economy which could organically deliver development goals, while protecting its minorities. That would not have required a great deal of money, but it would have required a lot of protracted, hard-headed resistance to the idealism of Western activists and ANC hopefuls. It would probably have strained the patience of the black population beyond endurance, but the desire of some people to wreck their own country with wrong-headed policies does not necessarily need to be indulged. Mandela, I think, knew this - but apres lui, la deluge.

Given that they did not try to develop a constitutional structure for SA which protected the white and Asian minorities, because that would have meant accepting some unromantic compromises, the least our activists could now do is to exercise the same energy in protesting against the persecution of white people for the color of their skin. Alas, most seem content to sip their lattes and utter platitudes about the propensity for shit to happen on the karma bus.

You can always tell how much someone really cares when no one is looking.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:18 am

I think I understand now that most of the disagreement here comes from entirely different premises. If one buys into the “white genocide” narrative or something in that ballpark – and, indeed, it’s right there in the thread title, in a reference to a neighbouring country in which whites have been specifically and rigorously targeted institutionally – then I would understand that a major issue here is the lack of constitutional protection of white South Africans. That’s quite a different matter than a country that is simply dysfunctional, crime-ridden and poverty-racked in a general sense, which is how I understand South Africa to be (and in which case the specific plight of whites or constitutional protection of minorities is at most a side issue). Whether whites are being specifically targeted right now seems to be a hugely contested point, and I’m not sure what to believe – and that includes some who seem a little too eager to tell us that race is completely incidental in farm attacks (and of course, one takes the panic-mongering of Breitbart types with a grain of salt). So it would be good to get some credible information here.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:47 pm

^

From what I've read, the truth (as usual) seems to be somewhere in the middle.

There are factions within the SA Parliament calling for white farmers to be dispossessed of their land without compensation. That's an easily verifiable fact.

The SA Government is saying publicly that they have no plans to do this and are saying the right things about needing to maintain food production, even though they are planning legislation to enable them top do exactly that.

Farmers are being attacked. The isolation makes them easy targets, the motivation seems to range from racism to just wanting money and stuff. There's little reliable data on what percentage of the farmers attacked are black or white. The vast majority of the farmers are white, yes, but the majority of their workers are black, and data doesn't distinguish between farm owners and farm workers.

It's a notable fact that since the end of Apartheid more then 20 years ago, the only people in the country who's lives have been improved are the black politicians and their cronies. Everyone else, including the majority black population, is pretty much worse off.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:08 pm

^ I think that's pretty much spot on except for the last sentence. The Conversation article I linked earlier in the thread suggests that things have actually improved substantially for much of the South African population in the last 20 years. Things are (very) bad, no doubt, but it seems they may have been much worse before.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:02 pm

Dunno about that.

Quote:
The ranks of South Africa’s black, Asian and mixed-race millionaires expanded to 17,300 from 6,200 from 2007 to 2015, according to New World Wealth, a consultant based in Johannesburg. What many of these people have in common are lucrative ties to government.

“For your business to survive and thrive, you must know a politician,” Mr. Moloeli says. “If I didn’t have the networks and the access to resources, I wouldn’t be where I am.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/24/business/south-africa-economy-apartheid.html

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:51 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^
There are factions within the SA Parliament calling for white farmers to be dispossessed of their land without compensation.

What would be wrong with that? Wouldn't that just be a kind of retrospective border control?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:33 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^
There are factions within the SA Parliament calling for white farmers to be dispossessed of their land without compensation.

What would be wrong with that? Wouldn't that just be a kind of retrospective border control?

Good point. It worked well in Zimbabwe, what could possibly go wrong?

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:35 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Your fishing now lefty Very Happy

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:58 pm

^ David, there are two issues, separate but linked, which your thread helpfully clarifies : the dispossession and murder/maiming of white farmers, plus the systematic discrimination against white people (via black economic empowerment laws), on the one hand ; and on the other, the destructive effects of civil disorder, political corruption and technical incompetence, which lead to general impoverishment.

In 1990, the RoE was 2.5 Rand to the USD. Today, despite being freed of sanctions, it is a damning 15:1. In the last 25 years, the average growth rate has been just slightly over 2% : lousy for an emerging economy with a rich resource and industrial base resiling after sanctions. Unemployment has gone from 15% to 25% in that period. Crime has exploded. The inability of the new government to deliver sharply rising living standards underpins the zero-sum scrabble that is sucking SA into a classically African pit.

I saw the effects of so-called “black economic empowerment” in the multinational business in which I worked. The business in South Africa by 1988 was a meritocratic, technically-strong outfit. It had an active professional and leadership development programme for black South Africans which was making slow but steady progress. By 2002, it was a nepotistic shell run at the top by people with political connections. These lorded it over people who actually knew what they were doing. The results were beyond predictable.

South Africa may astonish me by becoming a stable, strong and growing economy which offers all of its people a secure standard of life. But any dispassionate observer would say that it is most unlikely, given the trajectory.

Those who agitated for the present disaster will no doubt sleep the sleep of the just, wrapped warmly in their unexamined consciences, never in their cosy lives having imagined the cry of Cromwell : “I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken”.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:18 pm

Farmlands.

Do you really know the history (watch the first 10 minutes) of South Africa? I don't think many do.

I just found this while googling about the 50 protesters at Lauren Southerns (I'd never heard of her) talks in Perth.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCla6APLHX6W3FeNLc8PYuvg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: