Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Proof that draft lottery wont solve tanking issue!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
E wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
It's an interesting perception (myth?) that a high draft pick can be the saviour of a team.

In practice, it doesn't play out. When was the last time a premiership team got the flag by bottoming out and scoring high draft picks?

Didn't Hawthorn tank one year and snag Lance Franklin, Jarryd Roughead and Jordan Lewis from the first 7 picks in the draft and then win a flag 3 years later? those three players turned out to be quite helpful in that effort i would have thought. especially since they did it in a year where there were only about 8 quality players in the entire draft (and one of them was a father/son)!

If Melbourne become as good as they appear capable of becoming, i'm pretty sure the top draft picks will help.

On the other hand, St kilda has Reiwoldt, Kosi, Goddard, got to GF's but no flag.

Carlton had Murphy, Gibbs and Kruezer all no 1 picks and traded away a pick 4 in Kennedy to get Judd and remained shit

Yes, but the strategy at St.Kilda is another fine example of success by tanking. only 4 years after tanking, they were the best team in the land by a long way (other than the team that built iteself by taking advantage of the other scam in the AFL from back then - father/son selections).

The administration of the AFL was really dumb back in the early 00's. They created 2 rules that changed the landscape for a decade. father/son for a third round pick and priority picks for tanking.

Created St.Kilda, Hawthorn, Geelong and even Collingwood as the success story of the end of that decade.

1. St.Kilda and Hawthorn through tanking
2. Geelong through father/son - and by striking gold up and down the draft board in one draft!
3. Collingwood - a combo of tanking (Pendles/Thomas/Brown/Ried) and father/son (Cloke/Shaw).

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:43 am

E: While I agree with the premise, Brown and Reid weren't from tanking. We picked them up in '06 where we won our last 3 games to finish 5th (Brown) and traded Taz for pick 8 (Reid) and The Great One to the left of this post.

*Sigh*

A forward line with Dids, Leon and Medhurst in it.... With Thomas drifting in for a rest every now and then. And when Medders left, we picked up the Krak.

You know, we hear a lot about Buckley's coaching but how much better would we be going with smalls of that calibre doing their thing?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:45 am

I don't know if I know we hear about Buckley's coaching but how much better would we be going with smalls of that calibre doing their thing . Where would I have heard about it?
K 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:58 pm

Geek wrote:
*Sigh*

A forward line with Dids, Leon and Medhurst in it.... With Thomas drifting in for a rest every now and then. And when Medders left, we picked up the Krak.

You know, we hear a lot about Buckley's coaching but how much better would we be going with smalls of that calibre doing their thing?

If only our players had better longevity. And if only they didn't suddenly retire prematurely.
I wonder what Medhurst is up to these days...
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:35 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Best idea came from within the AFL a couple of years ago. Something like, with 5 rounds to go they redo the draw with the bottom 6 sides playing each other.
The side that wins the most of those games gets the prized number one draft pick working down to the sixth poorly performed team during those games.

No, those brain-dead f&ckwits at AFL house didn't think of that at all!
These imbeciles can't even arrange a fixture that sees all 18 play each other once in the first 17 rounds, for Christ's sake!

Once those mungs get that right, only THEN can we determine the best way to arrange the final six rounds, and start gifting away prize draft picks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: