Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

JLT Series. Game on! - Pies v. Giants - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh..footy is back and we are straight into bagging the team and demanding Bux's head, oh how I've missed it! lol

I just couldn't bring myself to watch the 2nd half, saw the 1st half then had to leave the house but I just can't motivate myself to watch the rest after reading all of this and know what happened in the 3rd qtr. But, I can very well imagine what it looked like because we have been seeing it for many years now and that is disappointing. It is tough to turn over a list but we still need to do so and I believe we are getting there but we still have many players that are still going around that just shouldn't be. We are very slow at making a determination on the credentials of many players. We need to draw lines through players much faster if we are to find a balance that will take us to our next success.

As it is just a practice game I'm prepared to pretend it didn't happen, after all we were outstanding in last years praccy games and our season got off to a rocky start, so it really isn't a true indication. However, this does not mean that skills should not be executed well if you have the ability to execute them and our skill level looked poor still which worries me. Round 1 against the Hawks whom have been hard for us to beat for the best part of 35 years will tell us all we need to know.

2018 should be a riot either way! Very Happy

MONCO: Your life.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:19 pm

perthmagpie wrote:
We can't kick, we don't know how to setup scoring opportunities and we can't score. We have no crumbling forwards, lack X factor and our forward pressure is not good. We move the ball too slowly, our intensity wavers up and down and we play in bursts. We play players out of position, we select players that have no future and we struggle to score from kick outs. We've seen these same things every year. This match served up all of them again. It is bad sign and a sign that we are still stuck in a rut. It is depressing and very disappointing that we are not on a different path after a whole club review.

Hey, get out of my head!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:26 pm

Watching the Other Teams don't feel me with Confidence
John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:19 pm

If you had looked at the two teams on paper would you have expected the result? Yes the concerns about efficiency are valid but when you have the list we sent out playing against the team that I think should have won the Premiership last year (Cotchin knew what needed to be done) the pressure will show up big time. The gap between players like Daicos Brown Stephenson Cox Broomhead and ors and the GWS list is as wide as an Ocean. Adams and Sidebottom played out of position and in the latter case lethargically. "Posturing" ? And which team had the most players with a chance of playing AFL football looking for selection to be part of a red hot go at the grail? We had L and P plates all over the ground! And in terms of quality and experience which team had the most outs from their best 22? The iniside 50 count meant the scoreboard told the story. Between the arcs it was the men versus the boys. Another thing, Mihocek for example, how hard can we be? Playing on Cameron without doubt one of the most talented mobile and experienced forwards in the game getting elite service from arguably the most talented midfield in the game and we want to bag him after one go. Seriously we need to be a bit more patient and supportive all round.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:10 pm

^ very well said John Lewin.
Leggie Aries

Bucks for PM.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:15 pm

John LEWIN wrote:
If you had looked at the two teams on paper would you have expected the result? Yes the concerns about efficiency are valid but when you have the list we sent out playing against the team that I think should have won the Premiership last year (Cotchin knew what needed to be done) the pressure will show up big time. The gap between players like Daicos Brown Stephenson Cox Broomhead and ors and the GWS list is as wide as an Ocean. Adams and Sidebottom played out of position and in the latter case lethargically. "Posturing" ? And which team had the most players with a chance of playing AFL football looking for selection to be part of a red hot go at the grail? We had L and P plates all over the ground! And in terms of quality and experience which team had the most outs from their best 22? The iniside 50 count meant the scoreboard told the story. Between the arcs it was the men versus the boys. Another thing, Mihocek for example, how hard can we be? Playing on Cameron without doubt one of the most talented mobile and experienced forwards in the game getting elite service from arguably the most talented midfield in the game and we want to bag him after one go. Seriously we need to be a bit more patient and supportive all round.

Nailed it

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:33 pm

John LEWIN wrote:

Bullshit. Collingwood's recruitment of mature ages players and the reappointment of Buckley suggests the club thinks we are genuinely close to contending. Otherwise, we should bottom out, bring in only young talent and get a new coach.

This game showed just how pathetic our depth and talent is. We are a club that needs its best 22 just to compete. Once we lose anyone's to injury, we become a rabble.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:40 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
John LEWIN wrote:

Bullshit. Collingwood's recruitment of mature ages players and the reappointment of Buckley suggests the club thinks we are genuinely close to contending. Otherwise, we should bottom out, bring in only young talent and get a new coach.

This game showed just how pathetic our depth and talent is. We are a club that needs its best 22 just to compete. Once we lose anyone's to injury, we become a rabble.

and That Shows how Wrong the Club thinks where we are.

We Need Re-Build as this team is long way from Contending

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:53 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
John LEWIN wrote:

That's not true. If you look back over the past few years what you say about our lack of depth applied about 3-4 years ago when I think the club looked at the list and decided we had to do another rebuild. About two years ago we cut about 13 players from the list. When you do that it takes time to bring the list back to where it should be. I reckon we have a strong list but it takes time for players like Brown, Daicos, McLarty, Kirby, Stephenson and Murphy to come on and we still have a few who I think aren't up to it in Oxley, Broomhead, Smith and Blair. Otherwise I think we sit about middle of the rank of clubs regarding our list of players.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:01 pm

We don't have depth, but very few (if any) clubs do nowadays.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:23 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
John LEWIN wrote:

TBH id rather look at it this way, im bloody sick of getting my heart broken first rounds back when we look so amateurish.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:36 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
John LEWIN wrote:

That's not true. If you look back over the past few years what you say about our lack of depth applied about 3-4 years ago when I think the club looked at the list and decided we had to do another rebuild. About two years ago we cut about 13 players from the list. When you do that it takes time to bring the list back to where it should be. I reckon we have a strong list but it takes time for players like Brown, Daicos, McLarty, Kirby, Stephenson and Murphy to come on and we still have a few who I think aren't up to it in Oxley, Broomhead, Smith and Blair. Otherwise I think we sit about middle of the rank of clubs regarding our list of players.

The Club started rebuilding in 2012, clearing out Dawes and Wellingham for picks and taking Grundy, Broomhead, Kennedy and Ramsay in the draft and then drafting Scharenberg, Freeman, Langdon and Marsh the following year. Of those 8, only two play consistently and perhaps Scharenberg will also, if he suddenly starts being able to run out of sight on a dark night. It is now 2018 and the team is worse - by a considerable margin - than it was before the rebuild.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:54 am

In the aspect of a game devoid of 4 premiership point —in fact dusting off cobwebs and trying a new face or two the Giants looked good

About as good as we looked deplorable

Know we have some key player to return but some of other regulars like Langdon let his good play be eroded by some crap decision/ kicking

Likewise Adams and that Varcoe streaming into goal chose a chip kick to the three opponents between him and goal some 50 meters away—why not bomb over their heads and chance it runs on for a goal—his chip kick was like a present gift wrapped

Field kicking and decision making not taken a step forward

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:52 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
John LEWIN wrote:

The Club started rebuilding in 2012, clearing out Dawes and Wellingham for picks and taking Grundy, Broomhead, Kennedy and Ramsay in the draft and then drafting Scharenberg, Freeman, Langdon and Marsh the following year. Of those 8, only two play consistently and perhaps Scharenberg will also, if he suddenly starts being able to run out of sight on a dark night. It is now 2018 and the team is worse - by a considerable margin - than it was before the rebuild.

Those two you mention are going to have long and productive careers at Collingwood. Going back to that time we recruited Ramsay we had guys on our list who couldn't kick including Frost, Marley Williams and Brown and others who were plain soft including Armstrong, White and Young. We wasted years of development recruiting free agents like Lynch when we should have been developing our own KPP's like Hawthorn has done with O'Brien. We learned our lesson beginning with the recruitment of Treloar and then WHE and started weeding out the unproductive types on our list. That period I think is what Buckley refers to as our second rebuild under his coaching, but I don't know specifically the year in which the club decided to rebuild the list again (maybe it was the year Beams informed the club he was going back to Queensland). Any way you look it though our list going into the 2018 season is superior to the list we had around 2013, not so much with our elite talent on our list now (we had Beams and Swan on the list back then), but with the depth of talent we have on the list now, most of whom (with a few exceptions) have the ability to get better with each AFL game they play.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:28 am

The 2018 list is nowhere near as good as the 2013 list. I do not understand why so many Collingwood supporters are ok about a 10-15 year window between competitive patches. Good coaches don’t allow that. Malthouse rebuilt twice in 3-year windows, despite starting from a hopeless base. Clarkson is on his third rebuild just now, having taken his team to flags on the first two. Lyon got both his teams to Grand Finals in short time.

Part of Collingwood’s present problem is that people seemed to think that Swan, Ball, Cloke, Shaw, Thomas etc replacements would be easily found. In every case, we’ve replaced those players with guys who are capable, at their best, of having half the impact. Meanwhile, supporters keep pencilling-in “best 22” names and I really don’t know why - we have a best 14 or 15 and then nothing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 20 of 23   

Jump to: