Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

JLT Series. Game on! - Pies v. Giants - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
E wrote:

Langdon is our best player! [1]

Stephenson is going to be fantastic!! Cant wait to watch him come along. Did he play the second half with a dislocated finger??? [2]

Oh boy. I am Mr. Optimistic but even i am looking at this team wondering how the hell are we going to kick enough goals to win games. [3]

[1] Oh dear. Wink

[2] What makes you think this?? He was holding his hand (right, was it??) after the intra-club match.

[3] Maybe we first need to worry about just how they can string together a chain of a few possessions (going forward Wink ).

The Future Captain is our best player. Well, top 5, anyway. You know he’s a gun when qldmagpies467 gives him a pass mark, because qld usually wants Tommy delisted before the first bounce.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Rodney Eade comments...
(Did he say these things when he was with us and it was his job to say them? If he did, was he just ignored? Remind me when he was last with us...)

Summary:
Lack of skill (turnovers) the main issue.
Like all clubs in 6-14 range, no depth.
Grundy & Cox can co-exist but Grundy needs 75% ruck time.
Need 1-2 good kicks off half back (e.g. Heater).
Adams good player but tries difficult kicks all the time, which is beyond his ability.
Varcoe another turnover merchant.
Steele better on non-preferred side.

Steve: "how realistic is it to expect to be able improve the skill level of a list aside from replacing personal?" [sic]
Eade: "Marginal improvement in players by training , devt etc. Certainly recruiting good kicks eg D Wells is best way. If poor kicking team you need game plan that can accommodate that. Rich turned it around after being poor kicking team. Change GP"

https://twitter.com/facingchange26/status/969135152822566912
https://twitter.com/facingchange26/status/969146154192535552
https://twitter.com/facingchange26/status/969149765131759616
https://twitter.com/facingchange26/status/969151246765457408
Seth 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:19 pm

Oh deary me. Gonna be a long year.

You know Carlton have 19 first round picks in their team, and they are the youngest list. A lot of upside in their future.

And we....................um yep.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:38 pm

^ Eade also said on Twitter don’t read too much into practice matches.

FWIW I think GWS will street it for the premiership. AFL draft steroids plus five years makes them unstoppable now. Im not a gambling man, but it’s like printing money, I’d have thought.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:39 pm

E wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
So who are these 6-10 players that GWS had out of their best side? The only two obvious outs were Greene and Scully. Put those two in to last night's side, that GWS side would have smashed Richmond in the GF. People are forgetting that GWS had a worse injury list last year than ours yet still made the prelim.

I'm not saying we were good last night. Some of our field kicking was terrible. We still have a lot of work to do, but some of the comments here are a bit disrespectful to players like Callum Brown, who hasn't had a full preseason, yet still did a few useful things. The three new players all look good to me. Stephenson is going to be a star once he puts on weight. Appleby made a few mistakes but settled in well off the half back line and already, Mihocek shows himself a more intelligent player than Schade. Oxley is a major worry if he has injured his shoulder after playing one practice game and Broomhead still doesn't appear to have it as a standard AFL player.

Toby Greene, Rory Lobb, Brett Deledio, Tom Scully, Jacob Hopper, Zac Williams, Nick Haynes, Will Setterfield, Aidan Corr, Matt Buntine, Adam Kennedy AND Ryan Griffen!!!!

I think all would get a game at Collingwood.

As for Mihocek, yes, he might be better than Schade. If that is the standard we are striving for, we are in the wrong game!!!!

Mihocek is there to plug holes. Every team has players like Mihocek. It's the mids that win premierships and GWS has loads of them and we saw 4 of the best of them playing for GWS last night. To match them we needed our best mids out there last night and players like Stephenson, Brown, Thomas, Broomhead competing against the likes of Shiel et. al. aren't going to cut it and that's why we lost. Move Adams back into the middle, give the underdone Pendlebury a few more back up games, add Treloar, Wells and De Goey into the midfield and we match up a lot better against the GWS mids. The second match of the season when we play GWS again, will tell us where we're at, not a silly practice match which means nothing.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:50 pm

E wrote:
So who are these 6-10 players that GWS had out of their best side? The only two obvious outs were Greene and Scully. Put those two in to last night's side, that GWS side would have smashed Richmond in the GF. People are forgetting that GWS had a worse injury list last year than ours yet still made the prelim.

I'm not saying we were good last night. Some of our field kicking was terrible. We still have a lot of work to do, but some of the comments here are a bit disrespectful to players like Callum Brown, who hasn't had a full preseason, yet still did a few useful things. The three new players all look good to me. Stephenson is going to be a star once he puts on weight. Appleby made a few mistakes but settled in well off the half back line and already, Mihocek shows himself a more intelligent player than Schade. Oxley is a major worry if he has injured his shoulder after playing one practice game and Broomhead still doesn't appear to have it as a standard AFL player.

Toby Greene, Rory Lobb, Brett Deledio, Tom Scully, Jacob Hopper, Zac Williams, Nick Haynes, Will Setterfield, Aidan Corr, Matt Buntine, Adam Kennedy AND Ryan Griffen!!!!

As for Mihocek, yes, he might be better than Schade. If that is the standard we are striving for, we are in the wrong game!!!!

Mihocek is there to plug holes. Every team has players like Mihocek. It's the mids that win premierships and GWS has loads of them and we saw 4 of the best of them playing for GWS last night. To match them we needed our best mids out there last night and players like Stephenson, Brown, Thomas, Broomhead competing against the likes of Shiel et. al. aren't going to cut it and that's why we lost. Move Adams back into the middle, give the underdone Pendlebury a few more back up games, add Treloar, Wells and De Goey into the midfield and we match up a lot better against the GWS mids. The second match of the season when we play GWS again, will tell us where we're at, not a silly practice match which means nothing.

Tru dat. Cool
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:57 pm

Seth wrote:
Oh deary me. Gonna be a long year.

You know Carlton have 19 first round picks in their team, and they are the youngest list. A lot of upside in their future.

And we....................um yep.

Carlton has been Very Well Run after MM got the big A

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:58 pm

E wrote:

Spot on.
For Christ sake, it’s a practice match, nothing more and nothing less.
Some posters would have us think we were playing for the holy grail.
I’m with you, we will know more in a month but for some posters to write us off now, is “ somewhat bemusing “ at best. Rolling Eyes
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:01 pm

E wrote:

IF De Goey does play and Wells is Not Injured again

Flashman 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:36 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
E wrote:

Spot on.
For Christ sake, it’s a practice match, nothing more and nothing less.
Some posters would have us think we were playing for the holy grail.
I’m with you, we will know more in a month but for some posters to write us off now, is “ somewhat bemusing “ at best. Rolling Eyes

Yeah it was just a practice game at the end of the day.

But it did raise the continued ugly spectre (yet again) of our struggles and inability to score or even lock the ball in our forward 50 for any length of time. Sure we were missing Elliott and Fasolo who are dangerous but who are also hardly manic in their defensive efforts either. Also the delivery into forward 50 was putrid as it has been by and large since Buckley took over as coach, likewise the shitful kicking efficiency. These are continuing issues that all Pies fans wanted to see some improvements in this year and they simply looked as bad as ever yet again last night.

The club has backed this list and football dept to the hilt and it's past time they (and the supporters) were given at least some semblance of hope. The fear is we're going to be served up more of the same like in 2017, 16,15,14,13...

Hopefully we show more system and cohesion and improved skills in the next hit out against the Bulldogs because the season proper isn't far away at all and we need to get serious about our preparation instead of throwing " a few things around" as the coach reckons we did last night.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:45 pm

Yes a practice game, but many of those playing for us were our "depth" should we suffer injuries. The point is, judging from this game, our back up players don't look as if any significant progress is being made in their essential skills. The fact that our entire system of play resembled so closely what we have been producing over the last few years is a major concern as well, since it seems to indicate that we are going to persist with the same old same old ball movement. It is worth noting that in 2016, the year the Bulldogs won the flag, their practice games were already revealing the new style of play that won them a Premiership. Practice games are not totally meaningless, I believe.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:53 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ Eade also said on Twitter don’t read too much into practice matches.

Yes, practice-match (scoreboard) results don't mean anything. But if they can't kick in practice matches, there's not a lot of reason to think they'll be able to kick in real matches.

The concern is that Eade could have reasonably said the same things at randomly chosen times last season, or even in the last 2 or 3 years.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:33 am

^ yes, that’s a fair point, and it is a concern. But when 8 of your top 15 players are out, I think it is to be expected. GWS have immense depth because they are a Frankenstein club gifted a bionic list by a grossly unfair corruption of the draft. So the team they fielded last night was not far away from a proper AFL side, even though they had many outs. Ours was VFl plus. So we could not really get our hands on the ball, and when we did, we were under pressure. It may signify a concern for Round 1, or it may be just an artifact of an unreal situation. Treloar, Moore, Elliott, Wells, Degoey, Howe, plus a highly motivated pendlebury and Grundy will make us look a lot better in every facet of the game.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:45 am

We can't kick, we don't know how to setup scoring opportunities and we can't score. We have no crumbling forwards, lack X factor and our forward pressure is not good. We move the ball too slowly, our intensity wavers up and down and we play in bursts. We play players out of position, we select players that have no future and we struggle to score from kick outs. We've seen these same things every year. This match served up all of them again. It is bad sign and a sign that we are still stuck in a rut. It is depressing and very disappointing that we are not on a different path after a whole club review.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:46 am

We can't kick, we don't know how to setup scoring opportunities and we can't score. We have no crumbling forwards, lack X factor and our forward pressure is not good. We move the ball too slowly, our intensity wavers up and down and we play in bursts. We play players out of position, we select players that have no future and we struggle to score from kick outs. We've seen these same things every year. This match served up all of them again. It is bad sign and a sign that we are still stuck in a rut. It is depressing and very disappointing that we are not on a different path after a whole club review.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 19 of 23   

Jump to: