Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 
Log inLog in RegisterRegister
 
Angels or Demons?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion
 
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
masoncox 



Joined: 31 Aug 2015


PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:40 pm
Post subject: Angels or Demons?Reply with quote

In light of the JDG saga it seems to me that football clubs want it both ways. A demon on the field and a angel off the field.
I write this because I was involved with a young koorie kid last year who was slated to be drafted.
He use to claim that all of the 10 clubs who were interested in him would ring him up and only talk about his attitude towards school.
In fact, they even rang up the school on multiple occassions to talk to his coordinators.
It seemed to him that he was on a constant personality test over the course of last year.
Although he was a wonderful kid with no known personality faults he did not get picked up.
His peers called him a freak for what he could do on the field.
It seems to me that you will never get a side of angels. And it seems to me that you are missing out of a number of demons that could help you snag a flag.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
K 



Joined: 09 Sep 2011


PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What was your opinion of his draft-worthiness, taking into account football ability and personality?
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
masoncox 



Joined: 31 Aug 2015


PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
What was your opinion of his draft-worthiness, taking into account football ability and personality?

A number of scribes had him from 30 to 50. I have coached 4 players who have made it to the AFL. 3 have made it to around the 200 game mark. But the amazing thing is not one of these would be a match for the wasted talent that I saw that went by the wayside. The kid from from last year had the talent and the right attitude. I thought his biggest issue was that he was played off the half back flank last year for his club and his vic club.
It seemed to me it was all about midfielders, but he was never given a chance there.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Albert Parker 



Joined: 13 Dec 2012


PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

A fair point you make.

The role model thing is overplayed. Allow them to play football and coach them in life too along the way.

A year off the piss would hurt De Goey socially. The training and time out of the 1's hurts the club and its supporters. He has form, but treating him like he is to be a boy scout too is a bit much for most (not all) 21 yo, with rare sporting talent and with a very good wage at their disposal.

_________________
One team, one dream - the Pies and this year's premiership
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
burnsy17 Virgo



Joined: 10 Aug 2003


PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert Parker wrote:
A fair point you make.

The role model thing is overplayed. Allow them to play football and coach them in life too along the way.

A year off the piss would hurt De Goey socially. The training and time out of the 1's hurts the club and its supporters. He has form, but treating him like he is to be a boy scout too is a bit much for most (not all) 21 yo, with rare sporting talent and with a very good wage at their disposal.


The last point you make there I think is the reason why the expectation is that he doesn't act like a typical 21 year old.

The typical 21 year old doesn't earn 400k per year. With that extrodinary salary for his CHOSEN profession, come requirements not asked of for a typical 21 year old.

Therefore, there are no excuses. He plays by the rules of those that pay him, or he finds another profession.

_________________
Beware the swooping Magpie.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
think positive Libra

Side By Side


Joined: 30 Jun 2005
Location: somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

yup!
_________________
You never look good trying to make someone else look bad. Disrespecting & insulting other to prove your point just shows how shaky your own position is.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Dave The Man Scorpio



Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Location: Someville, Victoria, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin Brown is a Good Example who did both Well
_________________
I am Da Man
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
stui magpie 

dum nei, sakte ja


Joined: 03 May 2005
Location: Where ever i go, there I am

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

burnsy17 wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:
A fair point you make.

The role model thing is overplayed. Allow them to play football and coach them in life too along the way.

A year off the piss would hurt De Goey socially. The training and time out of the 1's hurts the club and its supporters. He has form, but treating him like he is to be a boy scout too is a bit much for most (not all) 21 yo, with rare sporting talent and with a very good wage at their disposal.


The last point you make there I think is the reason why the expectation is that he doesn't act like a typical 21 year old.

The typical 21 year old doesn't earn 400k per year. With that extrodinary salary for his CHOSEN profession, come requirements not asked of for a typical 21 year old.

Therefore, there are no excuses. He plays by the rules of those that pay him, or he finds another profession.


Footy players who can't handle the requirements of AFL can still be footy players at state, local or country level. They just need to understand with the lessening of the requirements comes a lessening of the cash.

_________________
I'd like to apologise to anyone I haven't offended yet. Be patient, I'm working through a list. You're entitled to your own opinion, but if it disagrees with mine, it's wrong.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Skids Cancer



Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Location: Joined 3/6/02 ... aka Assassin member #175

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

masoncox wrote:
K wrote:
What was your opinion of his draft-worthiness, taking into account football ability and personality?

A number of scribes had him from 30 to 50. I have coached 4 players who have made it to the AFL. 3 have made it to around the 200 game mark. But the amazing thing is not one of these would be a match for the wasted talent that I saw that went by the wayside. The kid from from last year had the talent and the right attitude. I thought his biggest issue was that he was played off the half back flank last year for his club and his vic club.
It seemed to me it was all about midfielders, but he was never given a chance there.


Coached in the late 90's. There's more with talent that don't make it than do in some leagues. Leons brother Trevor was a freak but went down a different track.

_________________
“I doubt I will be an assistant coach. They have to watch the game three times from three different angles and I struggle to watch the highlights on the news.” Swanny
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail  
K 



Joined: 09 Sep 2011


PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
Gavin Brown is a Good Example who did both Well

Don't you think there are more recent examples, Dave? Like, say, Buckley?
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
K 



Joined: 09 Sep 2011


PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

masoncox wrote:
K wrote:
What was your opinion of his draft-worthiness, taking into account football ability and personality?

A number of scribes had him from 30 to 50. I have coached 4 players who have made it to the AFL. 3 have made it to around the 200 game mark. But the amazing thing is not one of these would be a match for the wasted talent that I saw that went by the wayside. The kid from from last year had the talent and the right attitude. I thought his biggest issue was that he was played off the half back flank last year for his club and his vic club.
It seemed to me it was all about midfielders, but he was never given a chance there.


I see. What does he intend to do, or has he been advised to do, this year?
He might still get picked up this year if he doesn't give up.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
E 



Joined: 05 May 2010


PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert Parker wrote:
A fair point you make.

The role model thing is overplayed. Allow them to play football and coach them in life too along the way.

A year off the piss would hurt De Goey socially. The training and time out of the 1's hurts the club and its supporters. He has form, but treating him like he is to be a boy scout too is a bit much for most (not all) 21 yo, with rare sporting talent and with a very good wage at their disposal.


The dude just got busted drink driving. The boy has proven to be irresponsible socially in a way that can lead to death. i think he is better off in 12 months if he has had fewer hangovers and IS ALIVE. if the kid needs alcohol to develop socially, then that is a huge issue.

If someone had of gotten Millane off the piss, who knows what becomes of him.

_________________
WE ARE COMING AND THERE IS NOT A DAMN THING ANYONE CAN DO ABOUT IT!!!!!!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Pies4shaw 



Joined: 08 Oct 2007


PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Gavin Brown is a Good Example who did both Well

Don't you think there are more recent examples, Dave? Like, say, Buckley?

Scott Embleberry. It’s a pity he never kept at it after he won that medal.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
masoncox 



Joined: 31 Aug 2015


PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
masoncox wrote:
K wrote:
What was your opinion of his draft-worthiness, taking into account football ability and personality?

A number of scribes had him from 30 to 50. I have coached 4 players who have made it to the AFL. 3 have made it to around the 200 game mark. But the amazing thing is not one of these would be a match for the wasted talent that I saw that went by the wayside. The kid from from last year had the talent and the right attitude. I thought his biggest issue was that he was played off the half back flank last year for his club and his vic club.
It seemed to me it was all about midfielders, but he was never given a chance there.


I see. What does he intend to do, or has he been advised to do, this year?
He might still get picked up this year if he doesn't give up.

He took it on the chin.
He is determined to get picked up through the rookie draft.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Pies2016 



Joined: 12 Sep 2014


PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Players who come through the TAC Cup system are very well prepped up on the scrutiny that AFL clubs will put them under.
It costs a ridiculous amount of money for a club to invest in a player on its list. I guess the “ angels “ option offers the path of least resistance in the decision making.

There are some frightening stories out there as to why clubs havent picked some players as early as the “ experts “ expected them to go.
In the 2015 draft, one highly ranked prospect slipped well down the draft because all clubs were concerned with stuff that his PARENTS were posting on facebook. There’s an example where the kid himself wasn’t even doing anything wrong but it was guilt by association.
It’s a tough game for the kids coming through. The best thing they can do is to remain hopeful but expect nothing. There’s a graveyard of broken promises courtesy of many AFL clubs conversations with young talented footballers.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum



Privacy Policy

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group