Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 
Log inLog in RegisterRegister
 
How Pies can secure Lynch AND May

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion
 
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
inxs88 



Joined: 17 Aug 2014


PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:04 pm
Post subject: How Pies can secure Lynch AND MayReply with quote

Let’s make the lofty assumption that both Tom Lynch and Steven May both want to play for the Pies in 2019 and beyond. Personally, I think neither shall happen but we can always dream right?

That being said there are two factors at play, namely relieving sufficient salary cap space and secondly stumping up the necessary trade picks etc.. required to satisfy the Suns. So let’s look at these two levers:

1. Salary Cap Relief:

A. Player Delistings:

* Alex Fasolo: released as a free agent, save $375,000/year approx.
* Dan Wells: does he have that 3rd year trigger? Hoping not $550,000 saved
* Tyson Goldsack: make him Assistant coach in 2019, $400,000 saved
* Jarryd Blair: delisted surely, $325,000 saved
* Kayle Kirby: unfortunately shall be delisted and $180,000 saved
* Tim Broomhead: like Kayle maybe a victim too and $350,000 saved
* J. Smith: should and shall be squeezed out $275,000 saved
* Adam Oxley: vulnerable and if delisted would save approx. $300,000

B. Player salary trimmings:

Several players coming off contract shall likely have their former contracts trimmed considerably given their age and value:

* Levi Greenwood: $450,000 originally: $300,000 tops now: $150,000 saved
* Travis Varcoe: $450,000 originally: same as Greenwood: $150,000 saved
* Lynden Dunn: can’t imagine he was on lots when joining us, but if retained he won’t have match payments for a fair part of 2019: $100,000 saved
* Ben Reid: apparently was on $650,000 (yikes), surely on $400,000 or less so a saving of $250,000.


Approximate savings: $3,405,000

Now, we know that this amount shall get chewed up with a $1,000,000+ Lynch contract and $700,000+ for May. Plus recently upgraded deals for DeGoey, Grundy, Thomas, Phillips, Stephenson, Aish etc... along with new potential players such as Quaynor and W Kelly albeit they’re moderate rookie wages.

However, the point being is that most years, clubs like us and others effectively “sack their depth” and use the cash relief to upgrade talent accordingly.


2. How to trade them in:

A. T Lynch:

As discussed on AFL 360 by David King, if Gold Coast likely finish 17th, they’ll get pick 2 in the Draft and automatically get pick 3 compo for Lynch. They would be crazy to match the offer, dissolve the compo pick and try and snare a deal better than that with us or the Tigers.

With our first round pick being approximately 14 in the Draft, it would be a massive risk for the Gold Coast to rely on that pick and a top Pies player being prepared to make the move to them.

Summary:

We can share Lynch for free via restricted free agency


B. Steven May:

Currently under contract for one more year to the Suns, it seems that he is gettable if he wants out. As such we would have to stump our first round pick and a “solid player” whom seeks more opportunity to get this deal over the line. You get the feeling whilst not quite being a fire sale, the Suns are doing a complete reset on their list and May could be easier to extract being under contract than what Beams was to us.

Trading wild cards:

* Darcy Moore
* Jamie Elliott

(obviously both out of contract and injury prone but represent trading currency).


Summary:

So there you have it. That’s how we may be able to snare two pillars into our team. Over to you Ned “fence jumping” Guy!

_________________
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Haff 



Joined: 25 Apr 2016


PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Elliot has little currency imo. I’ve backflipped on Moore, should be keeping him no matter what as he is a premiership swingman waiting to happen.

Thomas heading north plus pick 14 would get it done for May.

_________________
Crept up behind him like a librarian
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Jpies 



Joined: 09 Apr 2016


PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas and pick 14 would be an outrageously good deal for Gold Coast IMO. He's become one of the better small forwards in the competition.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Pies2016 



Joined: 12 Sep 2014


PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The “ easiest “ way to trade May into the club, is to trade out a 2019 draft pick or two. G C S can then use that future pick ( s ) to negotiate with other clubs.

Too many people are too quick to say let’s send X there and we will take Y back.
It’s not that easy negotiating a trade between two clubs where players from both teams are involved. BOTH players have to agree to it and surprise, surprise, BOTH clubs have to agree to it too.

Our interest in securing both Kelly and Quaynor on draft night certainly limits our ability to trade out any of our 2018 draft picks.

Add into that, if we were to trade out our 2019 first rounder, we are then obliged under AFL rules, to use a first round pick in the 2018 draft ( I’m pretty sure this is correct but happy to be corrected if someone is convinced otherwise )
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
BazBoy 



Joined: 11 Sep 2014


PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade Josh Thomas——no way jose’
_________________
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
MightyMagpie 



Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Location: WA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
The “ easiest “ way to trade May into the club, is to trade out a 2019 draft pick or two. G C S can then use that future pick ( s ) to negotiate with other clubs.

Too many people are too quick to say let’s send X there and we will take Y back.
It’s not that easy negotiating a trade between two clubs where players from both teams are involved. BOTH players have to agree to it and surprise, surprise, BOTH clubs have to agree to it too.

Our interest in securing both Kelly and Quaynor on draft night certainly limits our ability to trade out any of our 2018 draft picks.

Add into that, if we were to trade out our 2019 first rounder, we are then obliged under AFL rules, to use a first round pick in the 2018 draft ( I’m pretty sure this is correct but happy to be corrected if someone is convinced otherwise )


Not quite correct.

1. We can go into points deficit for nGA and FS players with points coming off following year’s picks from the round they were bid on. So not limited in trading 2018 picks.

2. From 2019 you can only trade a future first if you have used (includes NGA and FS points) 2 firsts in the previous 4 years. You can ALWAYS trade the current year first.

I need to look into whether there is a prohibition on trading relevant picks when you have a carryover points deficit. Logically there should be to prevent the system being abused, but I can’t recall seeing anything. If there isn’t we can keep trading away firsts and using second rounders onwards to pay for points.

_________________
All We Can Be
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
stui magpie 

dum nei, sakte ja


Joined: 03 May 2005
Location: Where ever i go, there I am

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't need to cut players now, we just back end the contract, pay him $500k a year for the first 1 or 2 then crank it up after that
_________________
I'd like to apologise to anyone I haven't offended yet. Be patient, I'm working through a list. You're entitled to your own opinion, but if it disagrees with mine, it's wrong.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Skids Cancer



Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Location: Joined 3/6/02 ... aka Assassin member #175

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to get May... for the right price.

Lynch, pffft, do not know what all the hype is, more over rated than a Hilux and not needed, especially for the coin being bandied around.

_________________
“I doubt I will be an assistant coach. They have to watch the game three times from three different angles and I struggle to watch the highlights on the news.” Swanny
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail  
Pies2016 



Joined: 12 Sep 2014


PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyMagpie wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
The “ easiest “ way to trade May into the club, is to trade out a 2019 draft pick or two. G C S can then use that future pick ( s ) to negotiate with other clubs.

Too many people are too quick to say let’s send X there and we will take Y back.
It’s not that easy negotiating a trade between two clubs where players from both teams are involved. BOTH players have to agree to it and surprise, surprise, BOTH clubs have to agree to it too.

Our interest in securing both Kelly and Quaynor on draft night certainly limits our ability to trade out any of our 2018 draft picks.

Add into that, if we were to trade out our 2019 first rounder, we are then obliged under AFL rules, to use a first round pick in the 2018 draft ( I’m pretty sure this is correct but happy to be corrected if someone is convinced otherwise )


Not quite correct.

1. We can go into points deficit for nGA and FS players with points coming off following year’s picks from the round they were bid on. So not limited in trading 2018 picks.

2. From 2019 you can only trade a future first if you have used (includes NGA and FS points) 2 firsts in the previous 4 years. You can ALWAYS trade the current year first.

I need to look into whether there is a prohibition on trading relevant picks when you have a carryover points deficit. Logically there should be to prevent the system being abused, but I can’t recall seeing anything. If there isn’t we can keep trading away firsts and using second rounders onwards to pay for points.


Thanks M M . I try to follow this stuff but the “ fine print “ can be tricky.
I keep forgetting about going into deficit too, although I’m not sure if any club has explored that option yet.
My main point is that we should also factor in the possibility of trading out future picks when it comes to securing May.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.


Joined: 17 Mar 2003


PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
Doubla
Would Lynch pffft ever know what all the hype is more over rated than a Hilux and not needed for the coin being bandied?
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
ronrat 



Joined: 22 May 2006
Location: Thailand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

BazBoy wrote:
Trade Josh Thomas——no way jose’


I agree but thats what GCS will ask and probably Oxley and another fringe player. And our first rounder.

What i hate is this they get number 3 pick. The gaining club should lose the pick in the same round to stop diluting the other clubs picks.

_________________
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
AN_Inkling 



Joined: 06 Oct 2007


PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^^There shouldn't actually be any pick compensation. I guess the problem the AFL has is that there aren't enough free agents for a club to target if they lose a player.
_________________
Well done boys!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Raw Hammer 



Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Location: The Gutter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

AN_Inkling wrote:
^^There shouldn't actually be any pick compensation. I guess the problem the AFL has is that there aren't enough free agents for a club to target if they lose a player.


This.

Compensation is ludicrous. If you lose a player, you have cash to spend on another. But, like you said, not enough quality free agents, and there is a cap to fulfil.

Hypothetically, if 5 good to great players leave lower clubs as a free agent, all clubs above them (in higher part of the ladder) will potentially have their draft picks pushed out 5 spaces (so a pick 10 becomes a pick 15). Or in this year’s case, a high end pick 3 becomes pick 4 for the third worst club. What if the top 3 are jets and pick 4 is as good as pick 10? Ridiculous. Why should all other clubs be punished just because free agents leave a particular year?

_________________
Est. 2002
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Piesnchess 



Joined: 09 Jun 2008


PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:51 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

BazBoy wrote:
Trade Josh Thomas——no way jose’


Stupid idea, nuts, and we must keep Moore too, maybe have a shot at Lynch, but May is a bridge too far, its not on. Shocked Confused

_________________
Chess is the touchstone of the intellect-Goethe.

Some people see things and say why, I see things, and say, why not. ! - Robert Kennedy
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
qldmagpie67 



Joined: 18 Dec 2008


PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

With Lynch leaving I'm sure the Suns will go all out in the off season to secure May long term. I don think he will come into the market

The other non contracted player people seem to forget about is Langdon
This isn't having a crack at the kid but the fact is he remains uncontracted beyond 2018
Earlier in the year his management came out and said the club had ceased talks and wouldn't be in a position to offer him a deal until they finalised the list for upcoming season. At the time his management said they had put a proposal forward to the club looking for a 3 year extension and failed to receive a counter offer of any description. A few weeks ago it was said somewhere that his management had sort some clarity on the clubs intentions in regards to a extension again being told there wouldn't be a offer forthcoming at this stage.
This doesn't mean we won't offer him a deal and with the injuries to Scharenberg and Dunn in recent weeks our depth in defenders is being sorely tested. This could actually work in his favour because it's doubtful either will play senior football in 2019 so that leaves a gap but also we can't just have defenders on our list
We look likely to draft Quaynor and Kelly who are both defenders. We already have Howe Dunn Scharenberg Crisp Maynard Miochek Goldie Reid Moore Murray Appleby Madgen on our books adding 2 more basically gives us 13 defenders on our list. We also play Greenwood and Adams in defence at times as well

It's all about list balance but we do have several players who can play both defence or attack so that's an opening for him
I think the thing that goes against him is he does have a chronic knee issue and the club has said it something that needs to be managed long term. No one could doubt his courage or endeavour to keep playing each week under those circumstances but if the club thinks his longevity is a real issue then this could be a issue

I'm not concerned either way. Personally I think his in danger of not being around next season as we already have too many players on our list who are contracted but hampered by current or recurring injuries
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7   

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum



Privacy Policy

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group