Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nathan Freeman's post-Collingwood career (delisted!)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't take any pleasure in this, I don't wish the kid any ill will.

You have to wonder how much the rehab process (or surgery) for the initial hammy has contributed to the ongoing issues for someone who had never done one before.

He may still have an AFL career but he'll only ever be 75% of the player he could have been, at best.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:02 pm

Well, a recurring phrase in the new injury reports is "scar tissue" (i.e. from the past). And most people don't have nerve problems to begin with, so if "nerve" starts popping up in injury reports (I'm not sure if it will in this case), that also is a bad sign.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:35 pm

Vindicated his decision to go to the Saints.

3 year fixed contract was better than our 2 year performance based contract where he could of earned more if he got on the park.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:47 pm

E wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
^^^
It's a strange one because I know the kid and his family so well and the fact is that he never had a hammy issue ( or any soft tissue injury to speak of ) until he did the first one at Collingwood.
Make of that what you will but he certainly appears destined to never reach his true capabilities as an AFL footballer.

Its really sad what we did to him. I have a feeling our fitness staff made the mistake of treating our new kids the same as adults with multiple pre-seasons under their belt. the stress on these young bodies may explain the chronic injuries our young guys suffered.

the fact that he has done his hammy again does not exonerate us. Once Buckley started pinging hammies, they just keep pinging. They always do. Hammies are fragile once torn once. Especially when torn off the bone!

What ‘WE’ did to him. Give me a break.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:46 pm

I feel sorry for the poor bloke. From the reports coming out of the Aint’s he has been doing everything possible to aid his recovery. It looks like his career is all but over and both the Collingwood & Aint’s supporters will never see this player who was claimed to be one of the fastest in his draft year play senior football. What a waste of talent.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:46 pm

^^^

I watched him at Dingley with my son in the juniors and then when they went onto the Dragons.
He was easily the most explosive player at the Dragons in my time of watching them (not the best but brilliant to watch when he took the game on)

He wasn't the first to succumb to a repetitive soft tissue injury and he certainly won't be the last. Least we cut our losses .... kinda.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:28 pm

Cherny/McClure, Fairfax, wrote:
The Saints said in November that Freeman had paid his own way to Germany to see expert Dr Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt for the second time.

Someone forgot to tell Freeman that the good doctor is successful only with players like Will Hoskin-Elliott.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:29 pm

Where is that?
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:33 pm

It's sad the way his career has transpired as he enters his fifth season in the AFL system without having played a senior game.

I'd be surprised if he can come back from another major setback.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:59 pm

Jezza wrote:
It's sad the way his career has transpired as he enters his fifth season in the AFL system without having played a senior game.

I'd be surprised if he can come back from another major setback.

yeah i agree. You cant wish that run of luck with injuries on anyone, his body just isnt right for the rigors of AFL.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:39 am

Poor bastard...
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:41 am

Please make some suggestions for improvement.
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:09 am

Really do feel sorry for the kid. He might not ever play an AFL game which would be remarkable for a top 10 pick.

It'll never likely be known what the root cause was/is. As far as he had never done a hammy before getting to Collingwood, whilst TAC is right at the top for the U18s, the training doesn't compare to AFL level. Perhaps he'd never pushed himself as hard before. One thing I have noted is that many athletes don't work enough on flexibility. Muscle strength and mass is the main focus.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:21 am

AnthonyC wrote:
Really do feel sorry for the kid. He might not ever play an AFL game which would be remarkable for a top 10 pick.

It'll never likely be known what the root cause was/is. As far as he had never done a hammy before getting to Collingwood, whilst TAC is right at the top for the U18s, the training doesn't compare to AFL level. Perhaps he'd never pushed himself as hard before. One thing I have noted is that many athletes don't work enough on flexibility. Muscle strength and mass is the main focus.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. He's an athlete from a family of athletes. They work on different aspects to condition their bodies and football is different to athletics unfortunately. It's just one of those things. There may have been some genetic weakness in the hammy as well. Buckley didn't break down until his mid thirties when general wear and tear got to him. Freeman is different because he was just starting his career so his body should have been in good shape. It seems these days you have more chance of extending your career after the pain of doing your ACL than you do after the hammy comes away from the bone.
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:49 am

^ I immediately also thought of Sean Rusling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15   

Jump to: