Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sack Pendles (and De Goey!)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
^ Indeed! Another example of authoritarianism justified as a ‘choice’ (as if anyone has the freedom not to sign such a contract).

Well, I'd be happy for their managers to insist on a reciprocal clause penalising the club if it brings the players' reputations into disrepute.

In practice, such a clause has not, as far as I am aware, been used to control a player's choice of hairstyle, for example.

At one point, Dids had an alcohol clause inserted into his contract, but he well and truly asked for that through his actions.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:22 pm

Well stupid $£$%^%%$ degoey needs that in his contract now $£$%^%%$ $£$%^%%$ $£$%^%%$ bloody idiot
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:54 pm

^ How about it, David? Do you approve?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:08 pm

K wrote:
David wrote:
^ Indeed! Another example of authoritarianism justified as a ‘choice’ (as if anyone has the freedom not to sign such a contract).

Well, I'd be happy for their managers to insist on a reciprocal clause penalising the club if it brings the players' reputations into disrepute.

In practice, such a clause has not, as far as I am aware, been used to control a player's choice of hairstyle, for example.

At one point, Dids had an alcohol clause inserted into his contract, but he well and truly asked for that through his actions.

If it doesn’t affect their training and match-day performance, I don’t see why it should be in their contract.

Give me one good reason why De Goey’s DUI charge should be a matter for anyone other than him and the police. (We could make it a drinking game – sip if sponsors are brought up, scull if the old ‘role model’ cliche is dropped.)

K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:21 pm

^^^
Well, you seem to have given us an easy one on the JDG issue. How can that level of drunkenness not affect his training? And, if you go by Nickster training reports, he was already offside with teammates, so things he's doing are affecting the performance of the team. I imagine a lot of them would be just as annoyed as Nicksters at this moment.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:40 pm

If he was hitting 0.09 on Monday morning, then yeah, probably. Otherwise, sounds like a pretty standard Friday night, doesn’t it? The real problem was getting behind the wheel of a car, not having a couple of drinks in the pre-season, one would think.

Anyway, I know I’m shouting into the void here. There is a whole rubbish heap of precedents lying behind us by now, and I have no doubt that the club will give him a draconian (perhaps near-career-ending) penalty and that most people will think it’s appropriate. The change I want to see is a fundamental one and would require people (and football clubs) to massively change the way they think about these things.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 pm

Probably got shit faced, thought he'd recovered but was still over. We've all done it before; he just got caught. Will lose his license, have to get lifts to training and catch taxis everywhere. Put him on a first and final warning for the year and have done with it. If he screws up again then put him up for trade; like the Stevie J ultimatum from the cats.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:40 pm

Wokko wrote:
Probably got shit faced, thought he'd recovered but was still over. We've all done it before; he just got caught. Will lose his license, have to get lifts to training and catch taxis everywhere. Put him on a first and final warning for the year and have done with it. If he screws up again then put him up for trade; like the Stevie J ultimatum from the cats.

Considering i read he was pulled over at 8pm (ish) not in the morning, it would have needed to be a hell of a session.

More likely he had a few drinks somewhere (6 standard in 2 hours would do it) and was dumb enough to drive home.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:00 pm

David wrote:
... There is a whole rubbish heap of precedents lying behind us by now, and I have no doubt that the club will give him a draconian (perhaps near-career-ending) penalty and that most people will think it’s appropriate. The change I want to see is a fundamental one and would require people (and football clubs) to massively change the way they think about these things.

There is no Nicks consensus on what an appropriate penalty would be. Many want something that would penalize him without penalizing the team and its supporters. What that might be is not entirely clear.

The players' union has negotiated with the AFL about this sort of thing. It's a business arrangement. "Okay, you give us this increased percentage of the pie, and we'll let you and the clubs fine players this much for transgressions..."
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:52 pm

I agree with you, David. What someone does out of hours really should not be a matter for their employers unless it impairs their ability to do their job or materially affects the reputation of their employer. One transgression of this nature has no real impact on Collingwood’s reputation, and it’s a matter for JDG and the law. If drinking is making him underperform vs his contract, then that’s to be judged from his performance on the field, not in the yellow press. He seems to be a bit of a dick, but that’s a matter for the Club to reflect in his contract.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:53 am

Clearly, he did not maim or kill himself drink-driving, but he could have, and that would clearly have impaired his ability to do his job.

Clubs sponsors hate this sort of thing. Posters who work within the club say so. And some clubs &/or the AFL (not sure which) have sponsorship deals with the TAC. I mean the kids' comp is called the TAC Cup. This sort of thing really is tangibly threatening the club and league.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:55 am

I heard he did. Is it that obvious?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:23 pm

K wrote:
Clearly, he did not maim or kill himself drink-driving, but he could have, and that would clearly have impaired his ability to do his job.

Clubs sponsors hate this sort of thing. Posters who work within the club say so. And some clubs &/or the AFL (not sure which) have sponsorship deals with the TAC. I mean the kids' comp is called the TAC Cup. This sort of thing really is tangibly threatening the club and league.

Your first point doesn’t wash. So if you were caught running a red light, which could maim or kill someone or yourself, then you consider that would justify your employer sanctioning you in your workplace ? It does not meet the reasonableness test.

The second point has more merit, but it is akin to saying that a competition sponsored by the TAC can sanction players caught speeding. Or (taking out the legal aspect) that McDonalds sponsorship could demand players not be seen eating at Hungry Jacks. The link between sponsor’s wishes and a worker’s rights as a private citizen is not one of subordination.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:31 pm

Well, let's not say maim, but break something. That would be inconvenient but not crippling to most workplace jobs. But not so for a sporting job.

I note that some employers do run background checks and drug tests on normal employees. Does drink-driving get you sacked or suspended from, say, the police force?

I think my bigger reason for not really being persuaded by your and David's objections is that I see it as just part of the business agreement. If an employer offered me more money (on top of an already very healthy base) and in return imposed the sorts of restrictions placed on these kids, I'd accept without hesitation. The AFLPA negotiated all of this stuff with the AFL.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:51 pm

K wrote:
Well, let's not say maim, but break something. That would be inconvenient but not crippling to most workplace jobs. But not so for a sporting job.

I note that some employers do run background checks and drug tests on normal employees. Does drink-driving get you sacked or suspended from, say, the police force?

I think my bigger reason for not really being persuaded by your and David's objections is that I see it as just part of the business agreement. If an employer offered me more money (on top of an already very healthy base) and in return imposed the sorts of restrictions placed on these kids, I'd accept without hesitation. The AFLPA negotiated all of this stuff with the AFL.

and there it is. hopefully this is the kick up the backside he needs to realize how $£$%^%%$ fortunate he is to make a lot of money, have the chance to set himself up for life, and with his looks, for a big media career later, let alone shoot for the stars and actually help us win a $£$%^%%$ premiership, after all, that is his JOB! i could name a dozen kids with potential that would jump at the chance, grab it with both hands, and never look back. poor poor him hey, misses out on a few beers for a while, well son get it out of your system and quick, or your gone. No sympathy, nothing.

As for oh well its only a few beers, the readings are bullshit, ill give you bullshit. have you been to the funeral of someone killed by a drunk driver? its not fun. i look in the eyes of his parents 18 years later and it hasnt got any easier. some people might be able to walk around ok at .09, ill tell you quite frankly if ive had 2, im not near the limit but i know im not fit to drive. and 21 year old kids are probably not as equip as some of the lounge lizards! he could have killed someone.

and dont kid yourself that you can perform to your best after a night on the tiles, im sure a small minority can. well fine then, let him win a Brownlow, let him play 6 games in a row to his potential, hey why not ask Goldsack? just a couple of weeks ago he came out and said cold that DeGoey is not as fit as he should be. I dont pay $1500 in memberships to go watch some hung over kid kick a ball around for the fun of it. i want us to win $£$%^%%$ games! Pull your head in Son, and your finger out. You want the money, you want the fame, do the $£$%^%%$ work and keep your snotty nose clean!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7   

Jump to: