Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

sounds like the back 6 is as follows:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:31 am
Post subject: sounds like the back 6 is as follows:Reply with quote

Langdon Dunn Murray
Howe Moore Scharenberg

Does this mean that Goldsack could be used up forward in the Blair/Mayne role that neither are good enough to play? Maynard would also be asked to push up the ground.

hermerl 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:57 am
Post subject: Re: sounds like the back 6 is as follows:Reply with quote

Langdon and Sharenberg should not play in the same backline, way too slow, Crisp will definitely play one half back flank
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:13 am
Post subject: Re: sounds like the back 6 is as follows:Reply with quote

Correct Crisp will line up in the backline in place of Langdon in that back 6
Murray and his left foot make him a near certainty for round 1 and by training reports and seeing our match simulation Howe and Scharenberg are being groomed as the precise kicks as the 2nd kick from a kick in.
Goldie may find a spot on the bench as a swingman who can play both forward and back as emergency
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckley plays a seven man backline so Langdon doesn't need to go out for Crisp to come in. I expect Crisp to be named on the interchange when the teams are named but Crisp will be playing on the half backline with the other players.

Goldsack and Varcoe have both been mentioned as earmarked to play on the forward line this year.

With regard to Scharenberg and Langdon appearing to be too slow to play together on the backline, that's why Murray is being groomed to play there. Dunn, Moore, Langdon, Howe and Scharenberg are all intercept markers of the ball, so it doesn't really matter how slow you are if you deprive the opposition of the ball, just as long as you have the ability to move the ball quickly from defence into attack (Greg Williams the prime example of that).
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:42 am

^^^ A good coach should play to the team's strengths... so maybe he should play a 10-man backline (with the rest in the midfield, of course).
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:14 am

Moore won't be playing anywhere until his achilles injury is fully healed.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:21 pm

It's good having a valuable utility player in Goldsack, isn't it?

We can move Goldsack back to play on tall opposition players while Moore is recovering.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:10 pm

Not sure how Murray suddenly makes it into our best back 6 when he has never played a senior game? Are we that bad?
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:26 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Moore won't be playing anywhere until his achilles injury is fully healed.

This is silly if it's true...

"The one thing we know about tendons is that they're one of the slowest tissues to repair.

"Your fitness can be there but in terms of conditioning, as far as playing, it's more difficult.

"He's only got six weeks to condition, it's certainly not ideal but it's not the end of the world if it's just soreness."

The Pies say they're not concerned and that Moore will increase his loads as his soreness reduces.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwoods-darcy-moore-struggling-with-ongoing-achilles-tendon-problem-20180205-h0u5p5.html

He shouldn't be doing ANY running at all until it has NO soreness or inflammation. It won't ever heal properly if he keeps running.

Should be doing loads of swimming and gym work, zero running and even minimal walking.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:15 pm

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
Not sure how Murray suddenly makes it into our best back 6 when he has never played a senior game? Are we that bad?

I remember a couple crows supporters saying the same thing about Andrew McLeod when he was first traded from the dockers, without having played a senior game.
Time will tell but his pace is something we are missing back there, so I reckon no name or not, he will be given every chance to make the spot his own.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:09 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Pebbles Rocks wrote:

I remember a couple crows supporters saying the same thing about Andrew McLeod when he was first traded from the dockers, without having played a senior game.
Time will tell but his pace is something we are missing back there, so I reckon no name or not, he will be given every chance to make the spot his own.

With due respect, that is a terrible example and does not explain how he can be in our back 6 now. Also Mcleod spent his first couple of seasons in the forward pocket with limited impact.

Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:09 pm

[quote="Pies2016"]
E 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:30 am

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Pebbles Rocks wrote:

With due respect, that is a terrible example and does not explain how he can be in our back 6 now. Also Mcleod spent his first couple of seasons in the forward pocket with limited impact.

Pebble Rocks, the genesis of my post was an article i read coming out of Collingwood that was posted to this site (i think in the Darcy Moore thread). it was suggesting that Moore was headed back there and noted that the three cur off type backs were Langdon, Scharenberg and Howe. The shutdown back was going to be Dunn and the speedy little defender was going to be Murray. i think track watchers have observed that Murray is looking to be more prominent in our plans than the 38th man on our list.

My sense is that a Crisp or a Maynard (or even a Varcoe) could head back and play the Murray role, so if you are right, then i guess that is what will happen. I think we don't go anywhere this year if our best 22 is unchanged. i am hoping for some improvements from somewhere (and he is one obvious example of where that might come from).

i suspect the club also expects that McLarty will eventually take Dunn's spot, but i am less convinced that he has made a strong case to do that by the start of this season.

the main point of my post was to suggest really that in Moore, Howe, Scharenberg and Langdon we have a pretty formidable back-line quartet around which to build a successful defense.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:58 am

Interesting that Pelchen apparently thinks down back is where we're esp. weak.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:46 am

Weak, certainly - I don't know about "especially" weak - we're reasonably weak everywhere except ruck/midfield. Howe, Langdon and Moore are all definitely solid AFL-standard. Not sure about any of the others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: