Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sack the Coach

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The AFLW Magpies

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:50 pm
Post subject: Sack the CoachReply with quote

How this bloke (Wayne Siekman) got the gig when there is a plethora of talent available has me stumped. After listening to snippets at the break he hasn't a clue.

Plus we need a sack the coach thread Razz

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-07-26/the-stories-behind-the-coaches I found out some information on the coaches. After I read this article
I see Siekman as a development coach not a game day coach. That's just my view.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know anything about his coaching, but I find the headline with him saying the team will be galvanised by the loss unpersuasive, given they had all those losses last year to galvanise them.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:31 pm

Speaking about coaches, I didn't realize Craig Starcevich was Brissy's AFLW coach. He looks like he's aged a fair bit.
Vexillology 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:09 am

Starc is 50 DoB 16/5/67
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:39 am

Looks older than Eddie. (I grudgingly concede it's possible Eddie never appears in public without makeup.)
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:24 am

Not trying to be a troublemaker, but why aren't there more female coaches? Seems odd to have the teams in this comp almost all being run by a bunch of blokes.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:05 am

David wrote:
Not trying to be a troublemaker, but why aren't there more female coaches? Seems odd to have the teams in this comp almost all being run by a bunch of blokes.

It just comes naturally?

From which background would you draw them?
Joyce Brown is the name that (somewhat slowly) comes to mind...
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:30 pm

The guy who needs to be sacked works for the Herald-Sun and spews out hatred for anyone connected with the Collingwood Football Club, his latest being the nonsense he printed about the 2 week suspension for Sarah D'Arcy for the kicking incident. Buckley deserves a Nobel peace prize for having lasted as long as he did working with the fat so and so on Fox Footy.
Vexillology 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:07 pm

David wrote:

I don't think it is troublemaking to ask that question. To me, it is mostly a lack of ticker from clubs like ours. The existing AFLW clubs, with a couple of notable exceptions, went with what they thought were safe options in 2017.

GWS have fixed that pretty quickly appointing a real football person in McConnell to care for their team for a couple of years and then hand over to Alicia Eva. Far be it from me to suggest that we should have offered her a job, a car and a promise at the end of last season.

Peta Searle is an obvious AFLW candidate but I would be surprised if that Aints haven't already got her locked in for their AFLW team when it comes around. That is if she hasn't got the top job by then!

Deb Lee is another obvious one but seems content with the football operations manager role at the moment.

Kate Sheahan is potentially an AFLW coach but like Deb Lee seems comfortable in the planning and operations role.

Closer to home, there is a person in our coaching group known throughout the women's football world as "Shanny". Unfortunately there is very little vision of her playing days and I only saw her late in her career but from what I did see she was a cracking player. Has coached VFLW.

Penny Cula-Reid will be our inaugural VFLW coach so she will have exposed form by the end of the year.

That's just a couple of names off the top of my head.

And then there are those whose playing days have ended or are soon to end: Think Lou Wotton, Erin Phillips, Emma Kearney, Daisy. Lots of others.

None of that is to say that there is not a place for male coaches in women's football. Starcevich, for example, has spent years developing women's football in QLD to the point where their U18's appear to have passed WA and SA. He put a team on the park last year that the Slobbos of this world dismissed as also rans and look what they did. Took an absolute freak to beat them.

I'll leave the interesting question as to whether AFLW should be looking outside footy for coaches for another day.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:22 pm

Both the Australian women's hockey and cricket teams have male coaches, and those sports have been around for a while.

AWFL is in it's infancy, the number women who have a good CV would be slim so the notion that a woman's team should have a woman coach is just sexism, it should be best person for the job and at this moment there's a lot more qualified men than women. That will change as time goes on.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:30 am

The AFL has blasted the AFLW coaches for being too negative thus making the game boring. Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:41 pm

Get Roos !

www.facebook/the hybernators
Vexillology 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:05 am

stui magpie wrote:

AWFL ...

Can we please refrain from using this term in this forum. It is neither original nor witty. It is plainly rude, derogatory and offensive. Nasty even.

This forum was established on 31 January 2018. The announcement on the GD Board included these words:
"... we expect any and all discussion to be grown-up and respectful."

How is the use of this term grown-up and respectful? That is a rhetorical question.

There are plenty of places (the Trump thread in the Tavern, for example) where misogynists can hang out, just not here please.
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:57 am

It hasn't been mentioned that the first AFLW season was won by one of the two teams with a female coach. The team that they beat was coached by the man with far and away the greatest credibility in women's football.

Personally I think we should have appointed one of the women who coached in the VWFL over the previous decade.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:21 pm

Kick short. Shepard. And dont play on into an opposition tackle.

If these things cant be taught, then sack him and hire Richard Osbourne.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The AFLW Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: