Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Magpies fined $20K over ineligible player

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:14 am
Post subject: Magpies fined $20K over ineligible playerReply with quote

So Who was it?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-29/magpies-fined-20k-over-ineligible-player

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:28 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably Ramsay who continued to train after 31 October, but didn’t appear on the permission to train lists. I thought it odd at the time.

Other possibilities would be Smith (not sure when he re-signed, but there was no announcement of it as at the 2km time trial) and Oxley who was ultimately drafted in rookie draft.

glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:42 am

bit of a strange rule - I'd have though anyone could train with them as long as they didn't take to the field on game day that year.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:36 pm

Seriously, what's the problem here that requires a $20,000 fine.
I don't care who the club is, a decent administration would step in and apply a slap on the wrist.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:54 pm

Next time Carlton are doing a recovery session at the beach our entire list should join in with them. That will be an $800,000 fine for them.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:05 pm

Just as well this rule didn't apply to Richmond in the early 70's. They invited Mervyn Keane down from the bush to train with them over pre season. He was late to the first session so they had left on their run through the parkland when he arrived. He took off after them then caught up and joined in with the session. After a while they asked him who he was and when they said they had never heard of him he insisted that they had invited him. The problem was that he had joined in on a Melbourne training session. The Dees missed out on a very good one as he went on to play in 3 premierships.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:01 pm

glasseyevfx wrote:
bit of a strange rule - I'd have though anyone could train with them as long as they didn't take to the field on game day that year.

You have players on other lists whose contracts are expiring. You can't just have them train at other clubs unless approved by the AFL. Then you have players hoping to be rookied. They can't all train at one club. It's mostly about the terms in player contracts and not exploiting players who hope to be picked up by a club (assuming they have no money coming in).
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:12 pm

Also ties into the ASADA regime re player location for testing.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:34 pm

Also if a player gets a bad injury
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:52 pm

^ Yes. Workplace health and safety. If anything were to happen to a player, the club & AFL would be in deep trouble.

It's not like this is a new or complicated rule. I just don't know how our club can stuff up simple things like this. If it wants to blow $10k, there are better ways to do it.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:32 pm

K wrote:
^ Yes. Workplace health and safety. If anything were to happen to a player, the club & AFL would be in deep trouble.

It's not like this is a new or complicated rule. I just don't know how our club can stuff up simple things like this. If it wants to blow $10k, there are better ways to do it.

I doubt that OH&S issues are relevant to the existence of the rule. The club is no more liable for injuries sustained by an uncontracted player than any homeowner is when a visitor is injured on their premises. Most have the appropriate insurance & the club would (should) have the required coverage as well.

I don't recall the young Moore, Daicos or Browns being listed as 15 year olds when they were training with the club.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:39 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
K wrote:

I doubt that OH&S issues are relevant to the existence of the rule. The club is no more liable for injuries sustained by an uncontracted player than any homeowner is when a visitor is injured on their premises. Most have the appropriate insurance & the club would (should) have the required coverage as well.

I don't recall the young Moore, Daicos or Browns being listed as 15 year olds when they were training with the club.

I think that needs AFL permission too.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:27 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Next time Carlton are doing a recovery session at the beach our entire list should join in with them. That will be an $800,000 fine for them.

Laughing Laughing
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:42 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
Presumably Ramsay who continued to train after 31 October, but didn’t appear on the permission to train lists. I thought it odd at the time.

Other possibilities would be Smith (not sure when he re-signed, but there was no announcement of it as at the 2km time trial) and Oxley who was ultimately drafted in rookie draft.

Yes, I recall reading the published permission to train lists at the time and thinking it most odd, considering fan reports on the forums were insisting that Ramsay was still training with us, long after his delistment was announced.

Smith and Oxley were already contracted until end of 2018 at the time. The re-rookie in Oxley's case was simply a bit of face-saving and contract honouring...

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:44 pm

K wrote:

Yes. There are some establishments on King Street where you can do that, whose names and addresses are but a simple Google away...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: