Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 'me too' movement

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Skids wrote:
K wrote:
Craig McLachlan seeks $6.5m in damages in defamation case

https://www.theage.com.au/national/nsw/craig-mclachlan-seeks-6-5m-in-damages-in-defamation-case-20181126-p50igc.html

"Meanings Fairfax has pleaded in its contextual truth defence include that McLachlan was "calculated, manipulative and a sexual predator".

Mr Richardson said "calculated" could be regarded as a compliment, "manipulative" was an excessively vague term and "sexual predator" could be anything from some kind of targeted flirting to sexual assault.

He is expected to make further applications on Wednesday."

Destroyed my Rocky Horror Show with their fabricated bullshit stories and destroyed Craig's life!
I hope he gets the 6.5 & some... and these lying moles face prosecution.

How do you know theyre lying?

Just a hunch.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:42 am

David wrote:
Skids wrote:
K wrote:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/nsw/craig-mclachlan-seeks-6-5m-in-damages-in-defamation-case-20181126-p50igc.html

"Meanings Fairfax has pleaded in its contextual truth defence include that McLachlan was "calculated, manipulative and a sexual predator".

Mr Richardson said "calculated" could be regarded as a compliment, "manipulative" was an excessively vague term and "sexual predator" could be anything from some kind of targeted flirting to sexual assault.

Destroyed my Rocky Horror Show with their fabricated bullshit stories and destroyed Craig's life!

How do you know theyre lying?

Skids has all the available evidence. Accordingly, hes in a good position to make an informed balanced and objective assessment.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:51 am

Tougher sanctions needed to stop sexual harassment, senior court judge says

https://www.theage.com.au/business/workplace/tougher-sanctions-needed-to-stop-sexual-harassment-senior-court-judge-says-20181129-p50j7j.html

"A senior court judge has described the use of defamation action as the worst possible way for sexual harassment complaints to be investigated.

Justice Maxwell said the need for confidential reporting of sexual harassment complaints was essential and tougher penalties including dismissal of perpetrators should be adopted. It was inappropriate for a woman to have to give an account of her complaint in the "atmosphere of an adversarial trial".

We know in the law that we wont get real compliance unless men know there are real sanctions which attach to this," he said. "Sacking people wont necessarily be the right answer, but until organisations show that at the serious end, conduct of this kind will result in dismissal and, equally, that there are all sorts of options for the complainant short of that, then I think we will continue to have victims scared to say anything.

Justice Maxwell said it was "quite wrong" and "most regrettable" that allegations of sexual harassment against actor Geoffrey Rush and former NSW Labor leader Luke Foley had been made public without the alleged victim's permission."
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:48 am

Skids wrote:
K wrote:

Gosh I hope they are lying then, cant have your 2 hours ruined, I mean just imagine!

Ps, if hes found guilty beyond reasonable doubt will you be apologising to the moles? I got to say with that mindset I hope your not on jury duty!

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:36 am

The Rocky Horror comment was tongue in cheek TP. In fact, I never really wanted to go and I'm not a fan of his at all. Kelly likes him.

My point is, look at the reactions I get for being a doubter of their stories.... for believing him, instead of them.
His life is destroyed and I find it deplorable that a bloke can be treated this way.

I'm not allowed to do jury duty Wink

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:38 pm

Nothing wrong with reserving judgement Im not going to condemn McLachlan because I dont know the facts and I believe he deserves the presumption of innocence. But thats quite a different thing from labelling his accusers lying moles based on a hunch.

You can sympathise with a guy whos had his reputation damaged, fair enough, but what if he did what he did? Wheres your sympathy for the women who may have been groped or taken advantage of (some of whom, in cases like these, have their own careers ruined as a result)? Or do you think its worse to be accused of sexual harassment than to actually be sexually harassed?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:36 pm

David wrote:
Nothing wrong with reserving judgement Im not going to condemn McLachlan because I dont know the facts and I believe he deserves the presumption of innocence. But thats quite a different thing from labelling his accusers lying moles based on a hunch.

You can sympathise with a guy whos had his reputation damaged, fair enough, but what if he did what he did? Wheres your sympathy for the women who may have been groped or taken advantage of (some of whom, in cases like these, have their own careers ruined as a result)? Or do you think its worse to be accused of sexual harassment than to actually be sexually harassed?

THIS was my point, thanks David!

and skids, why are you not allowed on jury duty??? the mind boggles!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:07 pm

David wrote:

Thats the issue: calling others names such as lying moles rather than waiting for the evidence to come in.

Very tricky area to say the least due to the potential abuse / misuse of social media to ruin a persons life basically.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:37 pm

Celebrity astrophysicist accused by three women of sexual misconduct

https://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/celebrity-astrophysicist-accused-by-three-women-of-sexual-misconduct-20181202-p50jqs.html

'In the report, Bucknell University astronomer Katelyn Allers said Tyson grabbed her arm and reached into her dress while looking at a tattoo of the solar system.

Ashley Watson, a former assistant to Tyson who worked on his latest Cosmos series, said she quit her job after Tyson made inappropriate sexual advances.

Patheos has previously reported allegations by musician Tchiya Amet, who said Tyson drugged and raped her when they were graduate students at the University of Texas at Austin.

On Saturday night, Tyson posted a lengthy response to the allegations on Facebook. He wrote that he hadn't recognised Allers' and Watson's discomfort at the time of the incidents they described. He acknowledged that he had a short relationship with Amet in the 1980s, but rejected her allegation of assault.

Both Watson and Allers said they shared their accounts in hopes that they would lend credibility to Amet's allegation, which she wrote about on her blog in 2014 and which was first reported by Patheos last year.

"I just feel like Neil needs to answer to these accusations," Watson said. "If we don't talk about these things, they're not going to change."'
K 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:41 pm

Here is Neil deGrasse Tyson's FB response referred to in the article quoted above:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/neil-degrasse-tyson/on-being-accused/10156870826326613/

Here are the Patheos stories:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/nosacredcows/2018/11/exclusive-neil-degrasse-tysons-rape-accuser-gives-first-public-interview/

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/nosacredcows/2018/11/two-more-women-accuse-neil-degrasse-tyson-of-sexual-misconduct/

And the NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/01/arts/neil-degrasse-tyson-sexual-misconduct.html

Last edited by K on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:45 pm

I fail to see the relevance of that allusion.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:35 pm

David wrote:

I think it's worse to be accused in this age. With limits.

Being sexually harassed on one or two occasions would not be a pleasant experience and, depending on the person, could have impact varying from minimal to serious.

Being accused is basically career ending, whether you did it or not

K 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:07 am

K wrote:
Here is Neil deGrasse Tyson's FB response referred to in the article quoted above:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/neil-degrasse-tyson/on-being-accused/10156870826326613/
<snip>

Tyson (on '09 incident): "She was wearing a sleeveless dress with a tattooed solar system extending up her arm. And while I dont explicitly remember searching for Pluto at the top of her shoulder, it is surely something I would have done in that situation. As we all know, I have professional history with the demotion of Pluto, which had occurred officially just three years earlier. So whether people include it or not in their tattoos is of great interest to me."

Tyson (on '18 incident): "Further, I never touched her until I shook her hand upon departure. On that occasion, I had offered a special handshake, one I learned from a Native elder on reservation land at the edge of the Grand Canyon. You extend your thumb forward during the handshake to feel the other persons vital spirit energy -- the pulse. Ive never forgotten that handshake, and I save it in appreciation of people with whom Ive developed new friendships."

What is your reaction to reading that?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:15 am

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

I think it's worse to be accused in this age. With limits.

Being sexually harassed on one or two occasions would not be a pleasant experience and, depending on the person, could have impact varying from minimal to serious.

Being accused is basically career ending, whether you did it or not

Its worse to be accused than to be harassed? Im I getting that right? Career ending if you did it or not? Im gobsmacked Stui, surely thats leaning to far away from a victim?

So so many things have changed, Im guessing there would be very few stars, high ranked people, celebrities who didnt take advantage a time or two, and many many who believed their own press and thought they were untouchable (maybetge wrong word!) I the past. Mobile phone cameras have probably contributed to a change of attitude, whether due to blackmail or threat of arrest. Its funny how often when someone gets accused how many more accusations follow.

Im sure there are exaggerated and even false accusations but Im also sure far more incidents remain unreported. Its a scary thing to admit someone got your personal space, touched you inappropriately and you didnt like it. For men as well as women, maybe more so, dueto embarrassment.

Maybe, just maybe this epidemic of moles (can any comment with that in it be taken seriously?) is a brave wave of speaking up when in the past no one did.

The only thing wrong with this is the $$%^%%$ media wanting to sell print and not caring who gets hurt. Thats what needs to change. Until the accused goes to court there should be strict guidelines when it comes to what can be said.

Speaking as a women I can recount more than one occasion where I have been harassed, embarrassed by it, and felt violated. There is an awful lot of sleaze bags out there.

In the past things like this were passed of osboys will be boys. I see so manyfamilies still wherethe boys get away with shit the girls would not dream of doing. Lack of respect and self control. And yes Im sure plenty of women in power play the game too, thats what comes from living in a mans world.

Personally I think the world has gone to hell and its too late to fix it. But maybe Ive been watching the crime channel too much!

K 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:10 pm

Fairfax, ABC have parts of defence struck out in Craig McLachlan defamation case

https://www.theage.com.au/national/nsw/fairfax-abc-have-parts-of-defence-struck-out-in-craig-mclachlan-defamation-case-20181203-p50jte.html

"On Monday, Justice Lucy McCallum ruled on several preliminary matters ahead of a jury trial set down for February 2019. The court heard McLachlan will not give evidence in chief during the trial.

Justice McCallum struck out three "insufficiently precise" imputations pleaded as part of a contextual truth defence, which alleged that McLachlan is "calculated, manipulative and a predator", "conducted himself in a manner that warrants the police conducting an investigation of his conduct", and "took advantage of situations in which women were vulnerable, to prey on them sexually".

She also struck out several paragraphs of the truth defence, saying some were "embarrassing in a legal sense, of being impossible to meet or causative of confusion", while others related to McLachlan's "irrelevant" alleged bullying of men.

Justice McCallum allowed the media organisations and Whelan Browne to add information to the defence about another woman, Teagan Wouters, who starred in Rocky Horror in 2014.

The media organisations' barrister Lyndelle Barnett argued on Monday that her clients should be able to seek information about whether McLachlan was seeing a therapist, to see if he made any admissions which might be able to be tendered in the case.

McLachlan's barrister Matthew Richardson objected to such an enquiry being made. He indicated last week that he wished to subpoena notes taken by Whelan Browne's therapist to see if her statements about McLachlan had been consistent over time.

Mr Richardson said while Whelan Browne mentioned she was seeing a therapist, there was no evidence his client was doing the same.

Justice McCallum allowed both sides to put formal questions to each other about the use of therapists."

Last edited by K on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 15 of 37   

Jump to: