Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 'me too' movement

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
Is it actually possible to get a look at the sexual offenders register in Australia?

Only in WA, and imho it's a very good idea that it hasn't been implemented nationally or anywhere else (otherwise, only the police have access to it). A public register is totally counterproductive in terms of rehabilitation, increases social panic, dramatically increases the risks of vigilantist retribution and, as child safety experts have pointed out, doesn't actually make children or anyone else safer (and can even, in certain cases, make kids less safe by giving parents a false sense of security).

The state Liberals are campaigning on introducing a public register in Victoria, which just about sums up their dumb-on-crime platform: a whole lot of tabloid-friendly policies that criminal justice experts say cause more harm than good but will probably win them votes anyway.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:00 pm

When is public register not counterproductive in terms of rehabilitation increases social panic increases the risks of vigilantist retribution and as child safety experts pointed out doesn't make children safer and can in certain cases make them less safe by giving parents a false sense of security ?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:31 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
Is it actually possible to get a look at the sexual offenders register in Australia?

Only in WA, and imho it's a very good idea that it hasn't been implemented nationally or anywhere else (otherwise, only the police have access to it). A public register is totally counterproductive in terms of rehabilitation, increases social panic, dramatically increases the risks of vigilantist retribution and, as child safety experts have pointed out, doesn't actually make children or anyone else safer (and can even, in certain cases, make kids less safe by giving parents a false sense of security).

The state Liberals are campaigning on introducing a public register in Victoria, which just about sums up their dumb-on-crime platform: a whole lot of tabloid-friendly policies that criminal justice experts say cause more harm than good but will probably win them votes anyway.

I don’t disagree with you, I only asked because Tannin suggested a register of false claimants so employers or work mates know they are at risk of a false claim! Bananas!

K 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:36 pm

K wrote:
There are already criminal defamation laws...

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1880824#1880824
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:52 pm

Tannin wrote:
You forgot:

7: Criminal prosecution of false claims.

8: A public register of former claimants to help employers, co-workers, and employees protect themselves against the risk of working with people likely to publish claims against them.* A statute of limitations should apply such that one no longer appears on the list after as suitable period, say 20 years.

The aim here is to provide a balance between the right of a victim of harassment to speak out (which is essential but has massive costs for the victim of the complaint, whether or not it is true), and the right of ordinary people not to be the victim of a public claim of sexual wrongdoing.

Right now we have an insane guilt by accusation system with near-zero cost to the false accuser and horrendous, life-changing costs to the victim. With every other sort of crime, guilt is determined by evidence, almost always given in public, and always weighed up and decided on by a court of law. There are all sorts of problems with the court system, as we all know, but it does at least try to be fair to all parties, or at very least it pretends to try. Our current system of trial by accusation does not even pretend to try to be fair.

* Think about it. Suppose you discover that the person you are working with has previously, in some other job, made accusations against co-workers. You need to know this so that you can institute appropriate risk management before it happens to you too.

This blokes life has been destroyed by nothing more than 'allegations'

Mr McLachlan, 53, claimed reports he engaged in sexual misconduct, harassment, bullying, and indecent assault towards three actresses during a 2014 production of the Rocky Horror Show (RHS) are untrue and have damaged his reputation and mental health.

The NSW Supreme Court heard on Friday that separate to the civil proceedings, detectives from Victoria Police are investigating complaints of indecent assault and assault against the actor from 2014.

No criminal charges have been laid against the actor

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-16/craig-mclachlan-refuses-police-interview-as-more-complaints-made/10505130

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:25 pm

If he’s innocent you’d think he would want to clear his name.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:26 pm

K wrote:
K wrote:
There are already criminal defamation laws...

And your thoughts on tannins register?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:48 pm

think positive wrote:
If he’s innocent you’d think he would want to clear his name.

Well, he is suing for defamation. But even if hadn't been, we need to be careful of suggesting that a desire not to pursue a defamation case indicates guilt – these cases are hugely expensive, and, as seen recently, take a massive toll on everybody involved, including the victims. A lot of people are (somewhat defensibly) treating Luke Foley as a villain for seeking defamation proceedings, for instance (even though it's quite possible that he was motivated by the exact perception that you're referring to). We're heading towards witch-dunking territory if we don't give people who believe themselves to be innocent reasonable avenues to respond to accusations of sex crimes.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:14 am

I get that, but the number of drums rumbling now is disturbing
partypie 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Cripes, none of these people would have any problems if they'd kept their hands and other body parts to themselves. Friends who are teachers told me decades ago they never touch children, even to comfort them when they are upset, or place themselves in a position where they could be falsely accused of anything, or their intentions misconstrued.
And while Im here, the other night when I finished work a young colleague was planning to wait for her sister who was late to pick her up from a dimly lit carpark. She reckoned she was alright but I refused to leave till her sister arrived. We watched as some of the creepiest people Ive ever seen emerged to steal out of date bread and generally behave in a disturbing manner. "Me too" would say she had every right to be there alone and not be harassed or worse but common sense says not. She admitted she was glad I stayed and that she'd leant something about personal safety.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:45 pm

partypie wrote:
... a dimly lit carpark. ... some of the creepiest people Ive ever seen emerged to steal out of date bread and generally behave in a disturbing manner. ...

From the dumpster?? I don't think dumpster divers are creepy people...
K 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:06 am

think positive wrote:
K wrote:

And your thoughts on tannins register?

A terrible idea.
partypie 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:50 pm

K wrote:
partypie wrote:
... a dimly lit carpark. ... some of the creepiest people Ive ever seen emerged to steal out of date bread and generally behave in a disturbing manner. ...

From the dumpster?? I don't think dumpster divers are creepy people...

One of them seriously looked like Gollem
roar 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:06 pm

partypie wrote:
Friends who are teachers told me decades ago they never touch children, even to comfort them when they are upset

Terrible that we have come to this.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:56 pm

roar wrote:
partypie wrote:
Friends who are teachers told me decades ago they never touch children, even to comfort them when they are upset

Terrible that we have come to this.

I was at a meeting this morning where a bunch of managers were told one of their colleagues had died.

Mid 40's male, lovely bloke, collapsed after giving a presentation at work on thursday. Brain aneurysm I'm told, died last night.

I already knew but the others didn't. There were some serious tears including the woman sitting beside me. I deliberately didn't touch her to provide any comfort. The woman beside her on the other side put her arm over her shoulder.

I just kept my hands to myself and provided what comfort I could, when appropriate, with words.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 13 of 37   

Jump to: