Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 
Log inLog in RegisterRegister
 
[Collingwood Womens Team] Darcy Guttridge Break Collar Bone

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The AFLW Magpies
 
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dave The Man Scorpio



Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Location: Someville, Victoria, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:18 pm
Post subject: [Collingwood Womens Team] Darcy Guttridge Break Collar BoneReply with quote

Very Sad News

https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/954898983817682944

_________________
I am Da Man
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
BazBoy 



Joined: 11 Sep 2014


PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nasty any injury to a sports personómore disturbed if it was a Grundy or a Moore
_________________
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.


Joined: 17 Mar 2003


PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

When was this exactly?
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
RudeBoy 



Joined: 28 Nov 2005


PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

As more and more collision type injuries, particularly concussions, occur in women's football, I suspect there will be a few people begin to question the merits of promoting footy to young girls, when there are already well established team sports with high female participation rates, such as netball, basketball, hockey and soccer, which are far less brutal. I realise that there are some females who are strong enough to cope with gladiator type sports, but for the most part, females are not as strong as men, so are likely to be more prone to injury from participation in such sports.

I dislike women's football for this reason, just as I dislike women's boxing. I've got no problem with girls or women doing boxing or playing footy, if they want to, but I have no interest at all in watching them doing it.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Dave The Man Scorpio



Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Location: Someville, Victoria, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
As more and more collision type injuries, particularly concussions, occur in women's football, I suspect there will be a few people begin to question the merits of promoting footy to young girls, when there are already well established team sports with high female participation rates, such as netball, basketball, hockey and soccer, which are far less brutal. I realise that there are some females who are strong enough to cope with gladiator type sports, but for the most part, females are not as strong as men, so are likely to be more prone to injury from participation in such sports.

I dislike women's football for this reason, just as I dislike women's boxing. I've got no problem with girls or women doing boxing or playing footy, if they want to, but I have no interest at all in watching them doing it.


I have no Problem with Women Boxing and Football but you can't Expect it to be the Same as Men.

Don't like it then don't watch but you should not just Bag it JUST because they are Women Playing It

_________________
I am Da Man
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
RudeBoy 



Joined: 28 Nov 2005


PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
As more and more collision type injuries, particularly concussions, occur in women's football, I suspect there will be a few people begin to question the merits of promoting footy to young girls, when there are already well established team sports with high female participation rates, such as netball, basketball, hockey and soccer, which are far less brutal. I realise that there are some females who are strong enough to cope with gladiator type sports, but for the most part, females are not as strong as men, so are likely to be more prone to injury from participation in such sports.

I dislike women's football for this reason, just as I dislike women's boxing. I've got no problem with girls or women doing boxing or playing footy, if they want to, but I have no interest at all in watching them doing it.


I have no Problem with Women Boxing and Football but you can't Expect it to be the Same as Men.

Don't like it then don't watch but you should not just Bag it JUST because they are Women Playing It


Read what I said Dave. I said "I've got no problem with girls or women doing boxing or playing footy, if they want to, but I have no interest at all in watching them doing it." I'm simply explaining why I don't like watching it.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Skids Cancer



Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Location: Joined 3/6/02 ... aka Assassin member #175

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on you muppets.

This crap comp does NOT belong in the GD forum ffs!

_________________
ďI doubt I will be an assistant coach. They have to watch the game three times from three different angles and I struggle to watch the highlights on the news.Ē Swanny
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail  
think positive Libra

Side By Side


Joined: 30 Jun 2005
Location: somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:35 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
As more and more collision type injuries, particularly concussions, occur in women's football, I suspect there will be a few people begin to question the merits of promoting footy to young girls, when there are already well established team sports with high female participation rates, such as netball, basketball, hockey and soccer, which are far less brutal. I realise that there are some females who are strong enough to cope with gladiator type sports, but for the most part, females are not as strong as men, so are likely to be more prone to injury from participation in such sports.

I dislike women's football for this reason, just as I dislike women's boxing. I've got no problem with girls or women doing boxing or playing footy, if they want to, but I have no interest at all in watching them doing it.


Iím with you! My youngest showed brief interest when several friends joined a teams, she played in her school team. I went to watch an inter game and was glad she didnít Persue it! Her best friend has just had 2 major operations on her knee at just 22, sheís a skinny little thing, it was always going to happen, and not the first time sheís been off in an ambulance. And sheís a state level player. Iíve tried to watch it, but tend to lose interest. Itís like watching Melbourne.

As for boxing, while I love the whole Mohammad Ali aura, I just donít get why youíd want to do it! Donít enjoy watching it at all. Nuts!

_________________
You never look good trying to make someone else look bad. Disrespecting & insulting other to prove your point just shows how shaky your own position is.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
K 



Joined: 09 Sep 2011


PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
As more and more collision type injuries, particularly concussions, occur in women's football, I suspect there will be a few people begin to question the merits of promoting footy to young girls, when there are already well established team sports with high female participation rates, such as netball, basketball, hockey and soccer, which are far less brutal. I realise that there are some females who are strong enough to cope with gladiator type sports, but for the most part, females are not as strong as men, so are likely to be more prone to injury from participation in such sports.

...


Iím with you! My youngest showed brief interest when several friends joined a teams, she played in her school team. I went to watch an inter game and was glad she didnít Persue it! Her best friend has just had 2 major operations on her knee at just 22, sheís a skinny little thing, it was always going to happen, and not the first time sheís been off in an ambulance. And sheís a state level player. Iíve tried to watch it, but tend to lose interest. Itís like watching Melbourne.

...


Certainly, the game is physically hazardous, but is it actually more so for them? Yes, they're not as strong, but nor are their opponents. Is the game too dangerous for, say, 13-year-old boys?
If it is more dangerous, is it because of the seriousness & competitive intensity that professionalism brings (presumably missing from the games of 13-year-olds)?
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
MatthewBoydFanClub 



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Location: Elwood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:28 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
As more and more collision type injuries, particularly concussions, occur in women's football, I suspect there will be a few people begin to question the merits of promoting footy to young girls, when there are already well established team sports with high female participation rates, such as netball, basketball, hockey and soccer, which are far less brutal. I realise that there are some females who are strong enough to cope with gladiator type sports, but for the most part, females are not as strong as men, so are likely to be more prone to injury from participation in such sports.

I dislike women's football for this reason, just as I dislike women's boxing. I've got no problem with girls or women doing boxing or playing footy, if they want to, but I have no interest at all in watching them doing it.


Iím with you! My youngest showed brief interest when several friends joined a teams, she played in her school team. I went to watch an inter game and was glad she didnít Persue it! Her best friend has just had 2 major operations on her knee at just 22, sheís a skinny little thing, it was always going to happen, and not the first time sheís been off in an ambulance. And sheís a state level player. Iíve tried to watch it, but tend to lose interest. Itís like watching Melbourne.

As for boxing, while I love the whole Mohammad Ali aura, I just donít get why youíd want to do it! Donít enjoy watching it at all. Nuts!

I'm with you when it comes to women's boxing which I don't believe women should be doing, but women's football is still evolving. It has qualities you won't see in men's football. Women have better eye to hand coordination. The game is a bit more open. You see the women breaking free more often and you see some spectacular runs down the field. Kicking is an area that needs to improve because with the smaller football, the ball doesn't travel as far. The umpires could fix up the rough play with some stricter interpretation of the rules regarding tackling. For instance ban any bumps above waist height. Tackle only with the arms around the opponents body and then a free kick awarded to the tackler if the ball carrier can't break free.

There's no reason for me that women's football can't become popular. People need to give it a chance. The ladies put a lot of effort into training. We have a team representing our colours which is reason enough to support it. Netball is a great sport but its injury rate with regard to ACL's is a lot higher than women's footballer. While a broken collarbone is not good the player will get over it and should still get to play into the competition this season.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Dark Beanie Gemini



Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Location: A galaxy far, far away.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:33 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
As more and more collision type injuries, particularly concussions, occur in women's football, I suspect there will be a few people begin to question the merits of promoting footy to young girls, when there are already well established team sports with high female participation rates, such as netball, basketball, hockey and soccer, which are far less brutal.


I assume from this you have never watched a game of netball?
I have seen plenty of injuries caused by collisions, the difference being that you are unlikely to break a collarbone in netball. Youngest sister was knocked out in a head clash in the goal circle and she has had operations on knees and ankles.

I have know girls who have given up netball to play footy as they find it more fun and less bitchy.

Anyway, bad luck for Darcy.
I was at the game on Friday but left at 3 qtr time so didn't see the injury.
Skills have improved from last year but still a way to go.

_________________
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail  
BazBoy 



Joined: 11 Sep 2014


PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:19 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I correct in that last year AWFL was free entry?????

This year and following years need to increase in quality if people are paying to watch it

_________________
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
RudeBoy 



Joined: 28 Nov 2005


PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
think positive wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
As more and more collision type injuries, particularly concussions, occur in women's football, I suspect there will be a few people begin to question the merits of promoting footy to young girls, when there are already well established team sports with high female participation rates, such as netball, basketball, hockey and soccer, which are far less brutal. I realise that there are some females who are strong enough to cope with gladiator type sports, but for the most part, females are not as strong as men, so are likely to be more prone to injury from participation in such sports.

...


Iím with you! My youngest showed brief interest when several friends joined a teams, she played in her school team. I went to watch an inter game and was glad she didnít Persue it! Her best friend has just had 2 major operations on her knee at just 22, sheís a skinny little thing, it was always going to happen, and not the first time sheís been off in an ambulance. And sheís a state level player. Iíve tried to watch it, but tend to lose interest. Itís like watching Melbourne.

...


Certainly, the game is physically hazardous, but is it actually more so for them? Yes, they're not as strong, but nor are their opponents. Is the game too dangerous for, say, 13-year-old boys?
If it is more dangerous, is it because of the seriousness & competitive intensity that professionalism brings (presumably missing from the games of 13-year-olds)?


A close friend of mine works with a young Aboriginal AFLW player, who is with the Bulldogs. She was a state soccer player, but joined the Women's AFL side last year, because of the money on offer. She was concussed 3 times in that inaugural season last year.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
think positive Libra

Side By Side


Joined: 30 Jun 2005
Location: somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
think positive wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
As more and more collision type injuries, particularly concussions, occur in women's football, I suspect there will be a few people begin to question the merits of promoting footy to young girls, when there are already well established team sports with high female participation rates, such as netball, basketball, hockey and soccer, which are far less brutal. I realise that there are some females who are strong enough to cope with gladiator type sports, but for the most part, females are not as strong as men, so are likely to be more prone to injury from participation in such sports.

...


Iím with you! My youngest showed brief interest when several friends joined a teams, she played in her school team. I went to watch an inter game and was glad she didnít Persue it! Her best friend has just had 2 major operations on her knee at just 22, sheís a skinny little thing, it was always going to happen, and not the first time sheís been off in an ambulance. And sheís a state level player. Iíve tried to watch it, but tend to lose interest. Itís like watching Melbourne.

...


Certainly, the game is physically hazardous, but is it actually more so for them? Yes, they're not as strong, but nor are their opponents. Is the game too dangerous for, say, 13-year-old boys?
If it is more dangerous, is it because of the seriousness & competitive intensity that professionalism brings (presumably missing from the games of 13-year-olds)?


yeah i dont equate that at all. I have no problem with Women playing it, i just didnt want my daughter too! She does enough damage playing netball with out the opposition deliberately trying to take her out with a full body slam!

and as for watching it i just dont find it holds my interest for long. I love to watch my daughter play netball, and I often watch finals shes not been involved in, but the top grade stuff leaves me cold! too clinical!! Id have no interst watching either womens team unless i knew some one playing in it really well! it just doesnt hold my attention. But i can pretty much watch AFL all day no matter whos playing!

_________________
You never look good trying to make someone else look bad. Disrespecting & insulting other to prove your point just shows how shaky your own position is.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
think positive Libra

Side By Side


Joined: 30 Jun 2005
Location: somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:33 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Beanie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
As more and more collision type injuries, particularly concussions, occur in women's football, I suspect there will be a few people begin to question the merits of promoting footy to young girls, when there are already well established team sports with high female participation rates, such as netball, basketball, hockey and soccer, which are far less brutal.


I assume from this you have never watched a game of netball?
I have seen plenty of injuries caused by collisions, the difference being that you are unlikely to break a collarbone in netball. Youngest sister was knocked out in a head clash in the goal circle and she has had operations on knees and ankles.

I have know girls who have given up netball to play footy as they find it more fun and less bitchy.

Anyway, bad luck for Darcy.
I was at the game on Friday but left at 3 qtr time so didn't see the injury.
Skills have improved from last year but still a way to go.

yeah nah, not often have i seen players deliberately try and take another out on the court, certainly plenty of collision injuries but because of the way its played (even though there is contact its not really allowed so players pull back, they dont in footy, and the no stepping rule means your not all running along together).
most of the knees in ankles in netball are caused by the no step rule, slamming to a stop and twisting, which is where the term netball knees comes from. ive got badly torn Meniscus in both from the slam/stop/twist of netball.
I cracked my collarbone playing basketball when a girls elbow came down on me, hurt like the bejesus!
ill go along with the less bitchy comment though! some of which comes from the no contact rule! you get away with what you can!![/b]

_________________
You never look good trying to make someone else look bad. Disrespecting & insulting other to prove your point just shows how shaky your own position is.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The AFLW Magpies All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum



Privacy Policy

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group