Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFLX

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:46 am
Post subject: AFLXReply with quote

1. Am I hearing correctly that players won't be paid? AFL happy to charge entry. Seems outrageous. Worse than that, MRP penalties are set to apply. AFLPA needs to step in.

2. Can't wait for the inevitable outcry when the first high profile player gets injured (just hope it isn't one of ours).

3. The likely pace of AFLX at this time of the preparation may be an issue for some older players - I'm no Physical science expert, but it seems to me older players have historically been eased through the pre-season so they are cherry ripe for round 1.

4. Would not be surprised if AFLX teams are made up mainly of the bottom half of club lists to protect against injury and the it may be more suited to the younger faster guys. Hope to see guys like Stephenson, Murphy, Murray and Appleby play for us with our mainstays watching on.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I say be Kids and Fringe Players be Playing in it.

No Stars be Risked this far from Start of Season

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:49 pm

It's not that players won't be paid, they're paid by the clubs. What there is, is no prize money for the competition. There's no prize money for the other pre season competition either as it's now effectively a circuit of practice matches.

Looks like a good tune up for the skills as it seems turnovers get punished harshly in the game.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/north-melbourne/north-melbourne-players-put-aflx-to-the-test/news-story/83e8422d7c57f566e60f9142f33e0d2e

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:55 pm

Lots of critics of AFLX but it’s obviously to footy what T-20 is to cricket and that’s gone gangbusters. You gotta start somewhere and it Might take a while but I think it’s a good move to trial it this year. Who knows if it’ll work but I reckon offering a shorter form of the game may attract new fans and gives people options. I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes.
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:58 pm

AFLX and t20 have no comparison. All we will see is lots of behinds not many goals
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:21 pm

I think AFLX will dilute the value of proper footy, just as T20 has done to test cricket.

It's purely a grab for more money, and a decision made by men in dark suits who represent the forces of darkness.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:38 pm

^

Disagree.

T20 hasn't diluted test Cricket, it's helped grow Cricket's audience and given profiles to a whole bunch of domestic players who no one had ever heard of before.

AFLX could do similar in the non-heartland. Being able to play it on a soccer or rugby pitch helps.

let's not forget, Dave Warner debuted for Australia before he'd played a first class game for NSW thanks to T20 Cricket.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:29 am

^
It's not clear that it's helped grow cricket's audience. It may be true, but I'm not aware of any attempt ever to determine this. To establish this, one would need to look not only at total attendances and TV viewership, but examine whether (for example) the T20 audience has simply been poached from the ODI audience.

T20 no doubt has helped grow cricketing bodies' coffers. Which might explain why no cricketing body wants to think too deeply about whether it has any harmful effects on cricket itself.

It's hard for me to imagine that AFLX is that dangerous, though.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:56 am

K wrote:
^
It's not clear that it's helped grow cricket's audience. It may be true, but I'm not aware of any attempt ever to determine this. To establish this, one would need to look not only at total attendances and TV viewership, but examine whether (for example) the T20 audience has simply been poached from the ODI audience.

T20 no doubt has helped grow cricketing bodies' coffers. Which might explain why no cricketing body wants to think too deeply about whether it has any harmful effects on cricket itself.

T20 is the greatest thing to happen to cricket since the WSC revolution. The poor standard of Test cricket has moved cricket followers over to T20, while the 50 over game has been dying a slow death in recent years. All these innovations begin slowly then gather speed. People will be embarrassed by their comments towards AFLW and AFLX in due course.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:33 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
K wrote:
^

T20 is the greatest thing to happen to cricket since the WSC revolution. The poor standard of Test cricket has moved cricket followers over to T20, while the 50 over game has been dying a slow death in recent years. All these innovations begin slowly then gather speed. People will be embarrassed by their comments towards AFLW and AFLX in due course.

Each to their own. However, in my opinion the promotion of AFLX, like AFL-W, is simply about money.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:47 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
K wrote:
^

Each to their own. However, in my opinion the promotion of AFLX, like AFL-W, is simply about money.

I'm yet to find an AFL official I couldn't go over to and have a chat with and what I find in common with them is that they love their footy like you and I do.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:50 pm

Are they exactly the same? Do I?
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:13 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-01-24/aflx-explained
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:36 pm

Damien wrote:
Lots of critics of AFLX but it’s obviously to footy what T-20 is to cricket and that’s gone gangbusters. You gotta start somewhere and it Might take a while but I think it’s a good move to trial it this year. Who knows if it’ll work but I reckon offering a shorter form of the game may attract new fans and gives people options. I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes.

My understanding is that one of the driving forces behind AFLX is the in the emerging states of NSW and QLD there are in sufficient grounds of full AFL size to increase participation. There are heaps more rugby sized grounds and as such AFLX has been devised to utilise these grounds and to promote Australian rules as a whole. In my book that's a good idea. Thanks

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:36 pm

Damien wrote:

My understanding is that one of the driving forces behind AFLX is the in the emerging states of NSW and QLD there are in sufficient grounds of full AFL size to increase participation. There are heaps more rugby sized grounds and as such AFLX has been devised to utilise these grounds and to promote Australian rules as a whole. In my book that's a good idea. Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: