Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sudanese crime in Melbourne

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite honestly, I wouldn't worry myself about that.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:38 am

Well, if it's you, you should turn yourself in.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:29 pm

We really need to make the right to remain conditional for new immigrants and their offspring. It does not matter where you have come from, you have a choice. Break the criminal law and this is not your home. Your choice, your problem. Lots of people who wont abuse and assault us want to come here in your place.

Itd have the positive side effect of being a flagship for a new set of policies based on common reason.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:50 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Doesn't matter. Haven't you heard, it's white men who are the problem?

We're the ones who rape and murder women, vandalise memorials, shoot our kids........

I know the exact posts youre talking about, and its a clear example of this:

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1644287

But I cant even be bothered arguing these points any more on Facebook, because I just know that Ill get my head bitten off (for being racist and sexist!). As it happens, I think there are plenty of problems with the way right-wing outlets handle this issue, but that doesnt mean we should ignore its existence. Would be nice to be able to discuss complex issues in an intellectually honest way, but nuance isnt in high demand these days...

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:50 pm

Nuance has gone the way of genuine discussion and debate.

Now it's all about meme's, slogans, .ist words and sound bytes. Sad

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:30 pm

You're just being nuancist, now.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:29 am

Young woman killed in Melbourne apartment: Horrendous screaming'

At least 12 people are assisting the Homicide squad with inquiries but the alleged offender was not believed to be among them, police said. Its not yet clear if the two groups were previously known to each other. Mr Hansen said the only known link so far was that both groups were of African-Australian heritage and all members aged around 19-20 years old

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/news/young-woman-killed-in-melbourne-apartment-horrendous-screaming/news-story/e7224534b775bd9bc2e58ce2345967c9

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:38 am

White people, of course, never commit murder. It is quite unknown in Australia.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:57 am

Quote:
Would be nice to be able to discuss complex issues in an intellectually honest way, but nuance isnt in high demand these days...

Fine article celebrating Sudanese players within the AFL. The author is able to acknowledge both that bigotry exists and that there are problems within this community.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-17/richard-hinds-african-born-afl-players-a-sign-of-positive-change/9999998
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:29 pm

Most progressives wont like the author, but she does know what shes talking about.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/inquirer/african-gangs-its-not-racist-to-name-it-for-what-it-is/news-story/9a2400da76f13b2fe8f339576b534ef3

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:47 pm

Quote:
Equal Opportunity and Human Rights commissioner Kristen Hilton said: The majority of Victorians who champion multiculturalism should not have to put up with journalists and politicians undermining their communities and workplaces with racially divisive rhetoric.

translated means:

"Talking about things we don't want you to talk about is wrong (and probably racist)"
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:40 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Quote:
Equal Opportunity and Human Rights commissioner Kristen Hilton said: The majority of Victorians who champion multiculturalism should not have to put up with journalists and politicians undermining their communities and workplaces with racially divisive rhetoric.

translated means:

"Talking about things we don't want you to talk about is wrong (and probably racist)"

She's an idiot. You can champion multiculturalism as well as pointing out issues at the same time.

Most of the Sth Sudanese Australians who were born overseas have experienced war zones and refugee camps and will have had natural difficulty in acclimatising to our culture.

The majority of them do their best to fit in and work hard at it. Getting the kids to stay at school and getting them involved in organised sports is a great way at getting them assimilated into the community and probably more resources should be put into them and other refugee groups to help with that.

A minority of them are a problem. They demonstrate no respect for authority or property because of them, Sudanese are overly represented in crime statistics compared to their percentage of the population. It's not racist to say it, and the people who say it is and bleat "racist" at people, are undermining their own cause.

We should be able to look at the bigger picture, recognise and celebrate the large number who are doing the right thing and recognise that we have a large problem with a small number of them, so more work is required if we want the next generation of kids coming through to be even more of the former and less of the latter.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:44 pm

stui magpie wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Quote:

translated means:

She's an idiot. You can champion multiculturalism as well as pointing out issues at the same time.

Most of the Sth Sudanese Australians who were born overseas have experienced war zones and refugee camps and will have had natural difficulty in acclimatising to our culture.

The majority of them do their best to fit in and work hard at it. Getting the kids to stay at school and getting them involved in organised sports is a great way at getting them assimilated into the community and probably more resources should be put into them and other refugee groups to help with that.

A minority of them are a problem. They demonstrate no respect for authority or property because of them, Sudanese are overly represented in crime statistics compared to their percentage of the population. It's not racist to say it, and the people who say it is and bleat "racist" at people, are undermining their own cause.

We should be able to look at the bigger picture, recognise and celebrate the large number who are doing the right thing and recognise that we have a large problem with a small number of them, so more work is required if we want the next generation of kids coming through to be even more of the former and less of the latter.

She didn't say one can't point out over-representation in crime stats / other issues at the same time as calling out racially divisive rhetoric did she?

When Pollies on talkback and when the tabloid media use this to sensationalize / amplify issues then nuanced discussion is obviated; instead a climate of fear is being created / exagerrated.

I would prefer that anytime a pollie like Dutton or Hanson uses this they be subject to a public flogging.

I suspect you're in furious agreement with her.

Mrs WPT and I simply can't go out to a restaurant or cafe anymore because as Dutton keeps wrongly saying we are in from the Sudanese.....

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:40 pm

There's a reason Sudanese are over represented in crime statistic, the gangs of young Sudanese are a problem.

Saying that people in Melbourne are scared to go out for dinner takes us back to a previous argument about language. If Dutton etc added the word "some" in front of "people in Melbourne" , would it be less of a problem?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:25 pm

Is anyone, really? For someone whos seemingly never set foot in Melbourne, Dutton seems awfully certain about prevailing sentiments down here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 7 of 26   

Jump to: