Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gold Coast training camp

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:33 pm
Post subject: Gold Coast training campReply with quote

Hi all from sunny hot Queensland.
I ventured down to the Southport Sharks yesterday for the first day of our training camp.
I won't be as eloquent as The Lad with my report but it will be a brief report from my scribbled notes.
The guys ventured out in very windy conditions but the heat and humidity weren't that high go it had been in recent times.
After the normal warm ups and some laps the coaches broke them into smaller groups for handball under pressure skills (5v5)
The group closest to my vantage point included Treloar Varcoe Wells JDG Moore Howe Stephenson Seir Murray & Thomas
It was hotly contested but Varcoe Wells and Treloar all looked superb constantly picking off errant passes or finding there team mate with deft touch.
Buckley Harvey and Sanderson spent a fair chuck of this time working on the whiteboard for what was then to be a mini match simulation

It appeared from my positioning it was Pendles team in black singlets v Adams team in pink tops.
Buckley spent most of the time on the sidelines watching making notes and generally offering support and encouragement.
The session was run by the other coaches with Harvey overseeing Pendles side and Sanderson overseeing Adams side.
The wind didn't help the skills as it was extremely gusty but overall the skill level was decent
Adams was extremely vocal and it's obvious now he is the captain in waiting which I'm assuming will be 2019 or 2020. He seems to have the magnetic personality were the younger players gravitate towards him but the older more experienced players also love his style of vocal leadership.
Ok just a few quick points and opinions now.
Boyd and Hocking spent considerable time talking mainly to the younger players about there roles. Hocking was very vocal and didn't miss a opportunity to let a player know if he had missed his target or assignment.
Standouts out were
Pendles he just has it on a string
Moore his running ability is something to behold for a big man
Grundy hard at every contest and his second and third efforts are outstanding
Adams worked tirelessly at the stoppages and around the ground
Wells just so silky smooth if he plays 15 games we will win 12 he's just that classy
Stephenson has some serious wheels and backs himself already a good sign
Dunn he's like a general in defence
Scharenberg seems he's being groomed to be used as the main outlet man on the second kick coming out of defence. He spotted up players with pinpoint accuracy 30-40m away 95% of the time even in windy conditions.

Overall it appeared the players were encouraged to take the game on and run and open up the corridor at all times.
It fits in with what the lad had been saying

The only other thing I noticed was some players at the breaks were taken aside by Boyd or Hocking and were involved in some pretty blunt conversations.
Hocking particularly was very animated by errors. A few players including Howe Langdon Thomas felt the full force of his tongue for bad errors.

I'm hoping to get down again on Friday and I'll do another quick report and this time try to take some video footage (had the camera perfectly set up ready to role only to find out I left the battery in the charger pack at home)
brett71 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks QLD magpie. Great report!
Millane42 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:20 pm

thanks mate good update
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:22 pm

I second Brett.
Thanks for that especially knowing mistakes early doors are being spotted
and player in no uncertain terms being awared of them

Weed that out before it costs us game/games

jonmac533 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Good one QLD, I too like the vocal and blunt style of Buhdda - these young men are on serious coin and they need to understand it comes their way for a reason.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:33 pm

Welcome guys a few more quick details from my scribbled notes

Our kicking seems to be a real focus in terms of less height and more precision
Our movement is corridor focused with every attempt to break lines with quick hands before hitting up a player in the corridor.
Wells Varcoe Treloar Murray Stephenson WHE Phillips Sidey Pendles were all used at times either just outside our defensive 50 to start the quick movement. Treloar particularly was often getting 2 or 3 quick hand balls give & go's before running off his man to head inboard to the corridor.
WHE Pendles and Sidey all spent a bit of time rotating from HFF to wing and corridor and then feeding the ball inside our attacking 50
Across the whole squad there seems to be a real effort being made to do the little things right and you can see the disappointment in the players if they make a error.
Hocking seems to play the role of bad cop a bit but he does always follow it up with a slap on the ass or a ruffle of the hair. The players seem to appreciate his involvement a lot
Buckley seemed very relaxed just making notes and very calm in talking to players individually at breaks often in a very encouraging way.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:37 pm

It's the players seem to appreciate his involvement Buckley seemed relaxed making notes and calm in talking to players at breaks in a encouraging way or the high way.
jonmac533 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:45 pm

QLD if the height of kick passing drops a meter or two across the board that alone will make us a 3 goal better side.

How many times have I seen us win the ball upfield only to see the slow bomb give up that advantage?

Encouraging news !

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:14 pm

Warburton Lad and QldMagpie each giving us valuable information on our boys
Thanks to you both from Baz

There is a pattern forming as I read your report,s that it’s a team effort both players ,coaches & fitness and backed up with some good appointments in the rest of footy department

Surely we must be close to a winning culture at the club

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:21 pm

Thanks for the report QldMagpie. I'm reading it the same as above. It's generalship on the field that will win us games in 2018 more than anything the coaches do behind their glass booths.
BHPIE 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Thanks for ya efforts Qld
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:12 pm

Just clarifying the Hockimg role.
He never berated the player but was very vocal in letting them know if a error or instruction hadn't been followed.
I clearly heard him shout to Howe at one stage "Howie just bloody kick the thing it won't kick you back" this was followed at the next break Hocking making a beeline for Howe and slapping him on the ass a couple times and having a bit of a laugh.
It was apparent Howe knew he had stuffed up or not followed an instruction and you could tell he wanted to make amends.
Hocking seems to have won over the respect of the group very quickly. His personality isnt that of a shrinking violet and he's very up beat and vocal around the group at all times esecially in encouragement which seems to be infectious
I apologise that I couldn't pick out all the players as were I positioned myself didn't give me the best view but would have been ideal for video had I remembered the battery.
On a side note whilst I was admiring our team in training the Mrs and son went inside the club and relieved them of several hundred dollars from the pokie machines
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:25 pm

Had a mate who coached junior footy over 20 yrs and in process picked up 8 flags I think —and a four in a row there so when he talks about coaching I do listen —tho kids they all have a trigger according to him

Some are bit emotional so you work to build their confidence whilst the gung
ho ones you work to temper them and can be sterner

All people react to things different and although the comes first knowing human nature is big asset—— being to the point and honest I would say

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks for Report Mate
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:39 pm

Was Moore Playing as a Forward or Defender?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: