Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The stupidest thing ever written?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:51 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an apology to make. I actually did what you suggested, Skids, and it turns out that I was wrong: she's not transgender at all. Just a natural-born woman who may apparently have possessed some intersex traits since birth, resulting in unusually high testosterone levels. I think that goes to show that people like you aren't really opposed to transgenderism as a political or philosophical concept, it's more just an aversion to people who look different and don't fit inside your neat boxes.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/29/what-is-an-intersex-athlete-explaining-the-case-of-caster-semenya

So I'm sorry for presuming, and you should be too. If you have any further problems, take them up with mother nature. If you can, you know, as a Martian and all ...

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:59 am

Yes, it’s been a well-discussed case, and I think that allowing Semenya to compete against women is unfair. For the purposes of sport, I do not accept that she is a woman. For the purposes of, say, voter registration, I do. I even find it hard to get exercised about the toilet question. If she is castrated and has passed certain tests she can use the female loos, as toilets are not competitive once one gets past primary school. I also think it’s unkind and unnecessary to talk of “freak shows”, if that is what was said. I do not doubt that some people are very troubled in themselves about this issue, and that warrants kindness and compassion. It does not, however, oblige us to believe what we do not believe, and say what we do not wish to say, because of politically defined truth . How many fingers am I holding up, Germaine ?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:04 am

^ I took David’s initial post as fact. If she is in fact a natural born woman, as David now says, then it’s really a matter of rules within the sport. Transgender in sports is a different issue.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:27 am

^ Yes, in such cases, there is a mismatch (with respect to the norm) between chromosomes and hormones at birth. In fact, certain disorders can result in what society deems to be stunningly attractive women. There has been speculation about certain famous actresses, for example.

What are fair rules is something that sporting bodies really struggle with. No matter what they decide, some people will think it unfair. This is particularly the case at the highest levels, where competition is fiercest.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:21 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=UZgtMK0UxlY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: