Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training Report Jan 10th 2018

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:02 pm
Post subject: Training Report Jan 10th 2018Reply with quote

Got down to Holden Centre just before 9:30AM to observe training and there was already a sizeable crowd of AO officials receiving their briefing before the Australian Open next week. Unfortunately the cafe was closed meaning a lost opportunity for the club to make some money and people having to find somewhere else to eat (I finished up at the Harry Trumble bar at the MCG after training).

Music blaring from the loudspeakers throughout training, which I guess you either like or dislike. In my case it goes back to the music I like, if you include anything from Ross Wilson (Eagle Rock), Crowded House, or Bruce Springsteen.

As I said training began before 9:30 with a good contingent of players out there, including two of our injured players, in Faz and Elliot. Faz did a few sprints while Elliot did a bit of kick to kick, before wandering back to the pavilion and hanging around almost to the end of training. Greenwood was absent, while I didn't spot Stephenson, who may have been at the opposite side of the ground, where it was difficult to make out the players, none of whom were wearing their numbers and made even more difficult by players wearing caps and some with a good growth of beard.

Training began with some stretching exercises on the ground, then the players moved to the goal end of the ground to continue their stretching, broken up with some straight line running while hand balling to players/coaches at the end of the chain. This continued for about 20 minutes, after which the players split up into three, or four main groups, where they received individual attention under the assistant coaches.

First the need to explain. When the training group is divided into individual groups, if you're an individual observer, you have to make a decision on which group to follow, because you can't observe all the separate training that goes on. Since I was stationed outside the cafe, I decided to concentrate on the group(s) that Buckley was supervising, which was close to where I was standing.

Callum Brown was receiving individual attention from Buckley in the centre of the ground. Buckley was explaining the best way to pick the ball up on the run when it falls on the ground, from what I could tell. Josh Daicos and Tyler Brown were having some kick to kick outside the main entrance before breaking into their group.

When Callum and Buckley were finished, they both went to a senior group of players to practice work at the stoppages. Interestingly this included the three ruckmen and our main mids including Pendles, Wells, Sidey, Josh Thomas and WHE. Players took opposing sides donning red jumpers, with the aim of extracting the ball at the throw in. Buckley himself participated in the drill and for those who claim that Buckley was an ordinary kick when he played, watching this drill would convince anyone that this is one more myth added to the others collected by Buckley over the years.

Another group was training to the left of the Buckley supervised group. This was taken by Harvey and included our main backs who were Reid, Goldsack, Mihocek, Madgen (I think), Nathan Murphy and Scharenberg. Essentially the drill involved contested work at the drop of the ball to see who could win the ball. While this was going on, another group were having goal kicking practice at the car park end of the ground, while another group I couldn't make out at the opposite end of the ground, were doing sprints and practising their kicking skills.

The rehab group of players included Moore, Varcoe, Wills, McLarty and Sier, who mainly did laps. Players to impress at training in my opinion, were Josh Thomas, who is a good runner, Callum Brown, who is clean at the contest and most of the time wins the ball in the contest and Broomhead, who with his ponytail, is easy to spot and appears everywhere on the ground.

Just before 11:00AM the training groups started breaking up with most of the players returning to the rooms. These players were generous with their time, posing for photos with a few of the supporters outside the main entrance and talking to the fans. A few players including Treloar, stayed out on the ground after 11:00AM, practicing their goal kicking skills.

Some observations about the players I saw today:
Kirby: has a massive chest like a boxer. He has some strapping around his elbow. He looks fit to me, totally opposite to how he came back from the Christmas break a year ago in 2017.
Wells: fully fit and could play an AFL game tomorrow if he needed to. Seems to be over his calf problems.
Mihocek: A replacement for Schade but a totally different player to Schade. Doesn't have the frame of a power forward or back. Not even as big as Goldsack as far as I could tell. He seems to be a running player of the type that Buckley likes, but to me he has a big job ahead of him to break into the side and it doesn't surprise me that it took him to the age of of 25 before he got drafted by an AFL club.
Goldsack: Apologies to Buckley for doubting that this guy couldn't play as a tall defender against the opposing power forwards. Maybe not as good as Dunn in this regard, but I would be expecting more of the same from him this year.
Appleby: I reckon this guy can play footy. Surprised he wasn't drafted in the fifties, because he has all the attributes to make it in AFL footy. Good pace and mark for his size. Maybe his size went against him in the draft as he's only a little over 6 foot, but you can see him fitting into the side along the flanks.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks B I F C. Always appreciated when track watchers offer feedback from a training session.
I have been doing my usual " diligence " amongst my TAC contacts and I have been hearing nothing but good things about Appleby. I'm not surprised by your comments and hopefully we have snagged one at bargain basement.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:12 pm

Thanks BIFC. Much appreciated.
winpies Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks BIFC, love reading these training reports. Helps us inter-staters Very Happy
K 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Thanks, BIFC. Smile
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:20 pm

Many thanks for your report and as reported on AFL and Collingwood website,s Fasolo and Elliott are getting back from injury with prospects
of playing early in the season

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:31 pm

All hands on deck with Mc Caffer doing kick to kick with Elliott
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:33 pm

I think there are a few exceptions.
ip address 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:41 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach

Thank you for taking the time out to go, observe and post for those who live thousands of miles away. Much appreciated.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:17 pm

Many thanks BIFC. Great to read. Thanks for this.

Gary Ayres was confident that Mihocek of Tasmania would make it.

Maggie51 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:37 pm

Thanks for a great report as usual. I was a bit surprised at your observations on Mihocek though. I would think it would take him a bit of time to get up to speed at AFL level, but I've watched him in 7 games with Port Melbourne and loved what I saw in each one of them. He has followed Ben Brown (NM) over from Tassie to try to get noticed as Ben Brown was overlooked in several drafts too. Let's hope he turns out as good as Brown. By the way Ben Brown is 1990 premiership ruckman James Manson's nephew and his grandfather, Jim Manson is a legend and Tassie team of the century player. How did we let him slip through our fingers??
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:51 pm

Maggie51 wrote:
Thanks for a great report as usual. I was a bit surprised at your observations on Mihocek though. I would think it would take him a bit of time to get up to speed at AFL level, but I've watched him in 7 games with Port Melbourne and loved what I saw in each one of them. He has followed Ben Brown (NM) over from Tassie to try to get noticed as Ben Brown was overlooked in several drafts too. Let's hope he turns out as good as Brown. By the way Ben Brown is 1990 premiership ruckman James Manson's nephew and his grandfather, Jim Manson is a legend and Tassie team of the century player. How did we let him slip through our fingers??

I'm assuming we recruited him for backup after clearing Schade and Keeffe, but just because Schade and Keeffe aren't there, doesn't mean he has an easy road to break into the senior side. These are the guys he has to replace: Dunn, Moore, Goldsack, Langdon, Scharenberg and Howe. Even if we get a couple of injuries there's still another four he has to get past. I hope he makes it as it's nice for VFL guys to make it in the AFL, but it's going to be very tough for him. At age 25 it's an extremely difficult task to achieve as Dwyer found out, but you can't discount anything in AFL footy. You contrast him to Nathan Murphy who at age 18 does everything with ease and has the football world in front of him and if you had to choose between Mihocek or Murphy for a game, you would have to go for Murphy as the player with the most potential.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:17 pm

Maggie51 wrote:
... He has followed Ben Brown (NM) over from Tassie to try to get noticed as Ben Brown was overlooked in several drafts too. Let's hope he turns out as good as Brown. By the way Ben Brown is 1990 premiership ruckman James Manson's nephew and his grandfather, Jim Manson is a legend and Tassie team of the century player. How did we let him slip through our fingers??

Hmmm... I didn't know that. I wrote the following in another thread.

K wrote:
Take, for instance, Ben Brown, now pretty successful and in demand. (Some have suggested we should make a play for him.) His pauper teammates choose him as a target a lot, maybe too much. [The AFL website reveals that he was inside 50 target 288 times this year.] And, yes, we could easily have drafted him. In effect, we chose Jesse White instead: the draft pick we gave up for him came before the one used on Brown. You might say this happened because of an unhealthy obsession with finding someone to play the "Leigh Brown role". But actually Ben Brown was rucking in the year before getting drafted. His ruck duties have diminished as (in the temporal sense, but possibly also true in the causal sense) his forward output has increased. Maybe for the CFC recruiters' sakes, he should have changed his name from Ben to Leigh. Wink
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:04 am

I think for a while Buckley got distracted with how good a player Leigh Brown was and wasted years trying to find a replacement to play that role, when in fact the role is no longer relevant to the way AFL footy is played these days. The players we recruit these days are more endurance runners who run both ways and aren't necessarily 6'6" tall. Whereas Leigh Brown would have chipped in for a couple of valuable goals when we needed it in the past, now it's guys like Graham who kicked the goals when Richmond needed it in the GF. Brad Scott deserves much of the credit for the way Ben Brown plays because he didn't look like a player to me at all when he first started (and obviously our recruiters didn't see anything in him either).
roar 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:27 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
I think for a while Buckley got distracted with how good a player Leigh Brown was.

Ha ha ha.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: