Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Brett Charmers and Collingwood Tampering with the Draft

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:43 pm
Post subject: Brett Charmers and Collingwood Tampering with the DraftReply with quote

I don't much about this Story but What Happened here? Did Pies do something or was it all Brett?

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/01/09/the-tamper-affair-how-pies-lost-a-young-star/

69 years a MAGPIE Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember it well DTM. As I recall, Chalmers was a 6'5" running, marking, goal kicking CHF. We wanted him, he wanted us. Richmond drafted him and then sent him back to the draft a couple of years later. Chalmers told clubs not to draft him as he would only play for us. The league got pissed, banned him from playing for us even though we had drafted him, and fined the kid a bucket load. We traded him back to SA where he never really made the levels expected of him. That was all in 1992-93, the same time scum, hawks, swans etc were cheating the salary cap and Chalmer got fined as much or more than most of those clubs. Could have been anything.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:22 pm

69 years a MAGPIE wrote:
Remember it well DTM. As I recall, Chalmers was a 6'5" running, marking, goal kicking CHF. We wanted him, he wanted us. Richmond drafted him and then sent him back to the draft a couple of years later. Chalmers told clubs not to draft him as he would only play for us. The league got pissed, banned him from playing for us even though we had drafted him, and fined the kid a bucket load. We traded him back to SA where he never really made the levels expected of him. That was all in 1992-93, the same time scum, hawks, swans etc were cheating the salary cap and Chalmer got fined as much or more than most of those clubs. Could have been anything.

IF Carlton did that I bet they would of Got Off.

Didn't nearly every team get Fine for going over the salary cap at that Time?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:57 pm

69 years a MAGPIE wrote:

Yeah, I remember it well too.

I wonder if he would have realised his potential if we had been able to get him in the first place or maybe he was just over hyped and what we saw of him was as much as he had to offer.

As an aside, Kyle Chalmers, the Australian 100m gold medalist freestyle swimmer in the last Olympics is his son.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Even at 16 I closely followed the draft and I certainly remember how happy I was when we landed Chalmers at the time though I have long forgotten the Richmond connection.

The reality is the draft was even more a lottery back in the era that Chalmers was drafted so even if he hadn't been subjected to 3 years in the wilderness the eventual output we saw at AFL level might have been all he was capable of anyway.

For the record this is 1992 AFL Draft top 10:

1. Drew Banfield West Coast 265 games
2. Nathan Chapman Brisbane Lions, Hawthorn 76 games
3. Michael Prior Essendon, West Coast 90 games
4. Justin Leppitsch Brisbane Lions 227 games
5. Jason Spinks Sydney, West Coast 0 games
6. Robert Pyman North Melbourne, Collingwood, Melbourne 40 games
7. Wayne Hernaman Richmond 20 games
8. Paul Symmons West Coast 99 games
9. Martin Pike Melbourne, Fitzroy, North Melbourne, Brisbane 247 games
10. Brett Chalmers Adelaide, Port Adelaide 75 games

Some of the rest:

14. Nick Holland
15. Damian Houlihan
18. Leigh Colbert
19. Lee Walker
20. Scott Cummings
25. John Barker
31. Shane Wakelin
49. Jarrod Schofield
87. Damien Hardwick
90. Scott Burns
92. Daniel Southern
98. Adrian McAdam

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:34 pm

It puzzles me how Chris Judd was allowed to pick his club when he left the Eagles and since then it has become a free for all.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:26 pm

Judd was a trade, not a kid going into the national draft.

James Cook also got into some grief around the same time as Chalmers IIRC for similar things.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:08 pm

Yep, Kyle's father.

Robert Pyman also got into trouble: North was fined $10,000 for draft manipulation. But Brett's penalty was so much greater... Al. McCal. made vague comments at the time about "supporting" Brett (financially). I wonder what that meant. The club paying the whole fine? More?
It used to be common for SA players to refuse to come over the border (e.g. Darren Jarman).

Nowadays, you'd think a player could engage in manipulation simply by tanking his interviews with all of the clubs they don't want. None of them seems to dare, though.

The article below mentions a tenuous Ricciuto link.
Quote:

The Tigers used their last pick in that year’s [1989's] draft (103) to select the talented South Australian. But he told them he wasn’t moving and kept playing in the SANFL, wasting a spot on Richmond’s list.

Three years later the Tigers’ hold on him expired and they tried to trade him to Collingwood, but no deal could be made and the Pies recruited Chalmers with pick 10 in the draft. It later emerged he had contacted other clubs asking them not to draft him, resulting in fines and a ban on him playing for the Pies for three years.

Former Tigers list manager Cameron Schwab revealed a decade ago that another trade option canvassed at one stage was for Richmond to trade Chalmers to the Crows for a talented 17-year-old named Mark Ricciuto.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/why-richmond-and-adelaide-hate-each-other-or-at-least-dislike-the-other-team-a-little-bit/news-story/1c6e99214e83c26d0f6b4c7c77703c7a
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:08 pm

K wrote:
Yep, Kyle's father.

Robert Pyman also got into trouble: North was fined $10,000 for draft manipulation. But Brett's penalty was so much greater... Al. McCal. made vague comments at the time about "supporting" Brett (financially). I wonder what that meant. The club paying the whole fine? More?
It used to be common for SA players to refuse to come over the border (e.g. Darren Jarman).

Nowadays, you'd think a player could engage in manipulation simply by tanking his interviews with all of the clubs they don't want. None of them seems to dare, though.

The article below mentions a tenuous Ricciuto link.
Quote:

The Tigers used their last pick in that year’s [1989's] draft (103) to select the talented South Australian. But he told them he wasn’t moving and kept playing in the SANFL, wasting a spot on Richmond’s list.

Three years later the Tigers’ hold on him expired and they tried to trade him to Collingwood, but no deal could be made and the Pies recruited Chalmers with pick 10 in the draft. It later emerged he had contacted other clubs asking them not to draft him, resulting in fines and a ban on him playing for the Pies for three years.

Former Tigers list manager Cameron Schwab revealed a decade ago that another trade option canvassed at one stage was for Richmond to trade Chalmers to the Crows for a talented 17-year-old named Mark Ricciuto.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/why-richmond-and-adelaide-hate-each-other-or-at-least-dislike-the-other-team-a-little-bit/news-story/1c6e99214e83c26d0f6b4c7c77703c7a

\

Typical AFL doing something to hurt Collingwood

K 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:15 pm

I also wonder what the AFL could have done if Chalmers simply refused to pay the fine. Maybe it's in effect $30k or a life-time playing ban.
If we did pay the $30k, perhaps we should have passed on this expense to Adelaide when they got him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: