Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Time Trial 8/1/2018

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
^ This is getting tedious.

This is from you:

"One can remain excited about his prospects without pretending that his aerobic fitness isn't a problem".

You're right, you do straw man quite well. I dips my lid.

How is that straw man? Perhaps you misunderstand me. Let me put that sentence another way:

"Just because I (and others) believe that his current (but one hopes not future) aerobic fitness is a real problem does not mean that I (and others) think he has no prospects of being a decent (and exciting) AFL footballer in the future."

I think you may have read that a completely different way.

[You could also have quoted the rest of that numbered point along with that sentence...]
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:25 am

I think I'm reading it the way you're saying it K. FWIW I think playing Kirby in the last game of the season was the right thing to do. After all we beat Melbourne. Maybe Kirby didn't contribute much but we still won. Whether Kirby makes it or not in the AFL to me will come down to one issue. Can he defend space (ie. when we don't have the ball)? I've seen enough of Josh Daicos already to confidently predict a bright future for him in this regard. Kirby doesn't have to win the 5km time trial. I say over and over again that we get seduced by the stats. I don't care if Kirby runs last in the time trial but I do care in a competitive game of footy if Kirby can't defend his space and the ball goes down the other end and we lose a goal (which decides the game of footy).
E 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:00 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
I think I'm reading it the way you're saying it K. FWIW I think playing Kirby in the last game of the season was the right thing to do. After all we beat Melbourne. Maybe Kirby didn't contribute much but we still won. Whether Kirby makes it or not in the AFL to me will come down to one issue. Can he defend space (ie. when we don't have the ball)? I've seen enough of Josh Daicos already to confidently predict a bright future for him in this regard. Kirby doesn't have to win the 5km time trial. I say over and over again that we get seduced by the stats. I don't care if Kirby runs last in the time trial but I do care in a competitive game of footy if Kirby can't defend his space and the ball goes down the other end and we lose a goal (which decides the game of footy).

pretty sure his running ability over 2km is a fair indicator of whether he will be able to, as you say, "defend his space". I think what we do know is that based on his 2km running ability, he might be able to defend his space in the first quarter but is unlikely to still be doing it in the third and fourth.....

not fit enough. no tank. lots of work to do.

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:07 pm

Did anyone actually win this run or was there just a last-placegetter?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:10 pm

I'm not certain whether I can give an accurate reply or not.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:14 pm

E wrote:

pretty sure his running ability over 2km is a fair indicator of whether he will be able to, as you say, "defend his space". I think what we do know is that based on his 2km running ability, he might be able to defend his space in the first quarter but is unlikely to still be doing it in the third and fourth.....

I was once disqualified in a school 400m for defending my space. I was a footballer, not a runner, and hip and shouldered a rival as he was about to overtake me. I went out too hard, hit the wall, and instinct kicked in when he tried to pass me. Skinny runners can't take a decent bump. Especially when they are not expecting it.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Harrysz wrote:
Did anyone actually win this run or was there just a last-placegetter?

Tom Phillips - see the article quoted in wpt's OP.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:07 pm

Personally I couldn't care if Kirby took 3 days to run 2klms
We should be at all times worried about recruiting footballers first.
If they happen to be good athletes that's a bonus then.
Tom Phillips winning the time trial won't guarantee him a place in the best 22
Let's face it the majority of the best footballers aren't and haven't been the best athletes.
Anyone remember a player called Dane Swan ? He was a noted terrible trainer even finding ways to avoid doing it but he was a pretty handy footballer anyways despite that
Pendles isn't quick across the ground but he's quick between the ears (bit like Sam Mitchell) again he's a fair athlete but not outstanding and isn't noted for winning time trials either
I'm more than happy if Kirby can make the grade with pure football ability alone
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:02 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Let's face it the majority of the best footballers aren't and haven't been the best athletes.
Anyone remember a player called Dane Swan ? He was a noted terrible trainer even finding ways to avoid doing it but he was a pretty handy footballer anyways despite that
Pendles isn't quick across the ground but he's quick between the ears (bit like Sam Mitchell) again he's a fair athlete but not outstanding and isn't noted for winning time trials either
I'm more than happy if Kirby can make the grade with pure football ability alone

He still ran 2k in around 6.30 - 6.45 most seasons.

Wink

E 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:17 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
E wrote:

I was once disqualified in a school 400m for defending my space. I was a footballer, not a runner, and hip and shouldered a rival as he was about to overtake me. I went out too hard, hit the wall, and instinct kicked in when he tried to pass me. Skinny runners can't take a decent bump. Especially when they are not expecting it.

... and marathon runners have no lateral movement, which is why we should abandon all of the altitude endurance shit and play football. i am certain that training our kids to run marathons is contributing to all of the injuries.

PS: i think i know who you are. I remember running against tonnes of footballers who would tear off in an 800 meter race and get 20 or 30 yards in front and then pull out after two thirds of lap. Only athletes are athletes. the rest try to do other things, like footy.....

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:07 am

E wrote:
E wrote:

... and marathon runners have no lateral movement, which is why we should abandon all of the altitude endurance shit and play football. i am certain that training our kids to run marathons is contributing to all of the injuries.

PS: i think i know who you are. I remember running against tonnes of footballers who would tear off in an 800 meter race and get 20 or 30 yards in front and then pull out after two thirds of lap. Only athletes are athletes. the rest try to do other things, like footy.....

No, you don't know me. I am older than you. Our paths may have crossed but only in the crowd at the footy.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:04 pm

E wrote:
E wrote:

No, you don't know me. I am older than you. Our paths may have crossed but only in the crowd at the footy.

how do you know how old i am? or are you older than everyone.....

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:28 pm

Quite pleased to see Mason Cox's time......

..he'll have a lot of work to do covering for the lack of space cover coming out of the forward pocket!

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:42 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:

He Still need some Fitness Base

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:43 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

He Still need some Fitness Base

That's exactly true. Dane Swan only became a footballer after his improved his fitness base when Benny Johnson got stuck into him.

Ultimately you can't do it all on the training track. You have to be committed enough to do extra sessions if you're going to make it in the AFL and at some point, Kirby needs to understand he must do more work if he doesn't want to be cut from the list at the end of the 2018 season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: