Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Time Trial 8/1/2018

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
To put it in context, the world record for a 2k run is 4 min 44 seconds

El Guerrouj's world record is more precisely 4:44.79.

The best context would be all the times of players at other clubs, but these never seem to be given to the media, so the media keep churning out reports with who came where, which is largely irrelevant.

So Flip ran 6 min. flat & Kirby 8:14. Let's put those in the context of age records.
The world record for 9-year-olds is reportedly 5:59 ...
and for 82-year-olds it's reportedly 8:06.

I agree that if there were no correlation between 2k times and football aerobic capacity then the clubs would not bother running them, so dismissing the times is equivalent to saying the fitness staff are either clueless or tricking the playing group.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:53 pm

It's also a good indicator as to a players improvement / development ( or not ) when compared to the previous years numbers.
I think the relevance lies in the comparison from one year to the next even more so than the now.
I would suggest that if Kirbys times haven't improved from last year ( and that shouldn't be hard ) then I would doubt if that would enhance his early season prospects in 2018
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:24 pm

K wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

The best context would be all the times of players at other clubs, but these never seem to be given to the media, so the media keep churning out reports with who came where, which is largely irrelevant.

So Flip ran 6 min. flat & Kirby 8:14. Let's put those in the context of age records.

I agree that if there were no correlation between 2k times and football aerobic capacity then the clubs would not bother running them, so dismissing the times is equivalent to saying the fitness staff are either clueless or tricking the playing group.

Yes, however El Guerrouj like Skids can't play footy for quids.

We don't need to overstate 8 mins for a time trial. The club knows better than us. The kid is training very well according to those watching training. He's got explosive speed and lots of skills.

I'm still quite excited about his prospects.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:43 pm

watt price tully wrote:
K wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

We don't need to overstate 8 mins for a time trial. The club knows better than us. The kid is training very well according to those watching training. He's got explosive speed and lots of skills.

El Guerrouj perhaps can't but maybe the 82-year-old can.

Maybe the club knows better than to give him more than a single game until he's much fitter. His listed weight on the club website is also way too high. (Enough of the excuses about muscles. He's not the most muscular one at the club.)
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:17 pm

He couldn't run outa sight on a dark night... will be exposed very quickly.
If he can't get fit, he's a liability. Won't make it.

E 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:35 am

K wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

...and i ran 2k in 6.20 when i was 12 years old. It is a disgrace than an athlete in an endurance sport takes longer than 8 minutes to run 2 ks. a total disgrace!! i am shocked that he is that unfit. I really cant see him ever making it if he is that limited (given the demands of the modern game). He is going to have to be very very special at the other things he is good at to allow something of this limitation to exist in one of our players.

glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:44 am

is there anything to say he didn't throw in the towel when he saw others finishing after several minutes? Perhaps the time is inflated
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:37 pm

E wrote:
K wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

...and i ran 2k in 6.20 when i was 12 years old. It is a disgrace than an athlete in an endurance sport takes longer than 8 minutes to run 2 ks. a total disgrace!! i am shocked that he is that unfit. I really cant see him ever making it if he is that limited (given the demands of the modern game). He is going to have to be very very special at the other things he is good at to allow something of this limitation to exist in one of our players.

Your time would have put you in the top 8 in that time trial and you were 9yo?! I call BS on that.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:25 pm

^Fair call Pebbles, although he stated he was 12yo

Last edited by Albert Parker on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:29 pm

A collation of the best recorded times over 2km in the world - by age

2 000 METRES

6 7:43.8 Daniel Skandera USA 2 Nov 07 Santa Rosa CA 5 Oct 14
7 7:09.6 Daniel Skandera USA 2 Nov 07 Santa Rosa CA 4 Oct 15
8 6:54.6 Daniel Skandera USA 2 Nov 07 Santa Rosa CA 27 Oct 16
9 6:28.6 Daniel Skandera USA 2 Nov 07 Oakland CA 11 Oct 17
10 6:28.4 Reyes Estvez ESP 2 Aug 76 Barcelona 9 May 87
11 6:15.80 William Levay SWE 27 Aug 96 Stockholm 26 Aug 08
12 6:04.1 Lucas Bourgoyne USA 7 Apr 01 Houston TX 30 Mar 14
13 5:37.33 Dalibor Balgač CRO 22 Sep 77 Varadin 3 Aug 91
14 5:24.41 Jakob Ingebrigtsen NOR 19 Sep 00 Lillestrm 13 Sep 15
15 5:24.41 Jakob Ingebrigtsen NOR 19 Sep 00 Lillestrm 13 Sep 15
16 5:19.33 Milo Vučković SRB 20 Dec 84 Belgrade 30 Aug 01
17 5:15.5 Mark Arens AUS 23 Mar 62 Adelaide 22 Dec 79
18 5:06.56 Jon Richards GBR 19 May 64 Oslo 7 Jul 82
19 4:59.14 Ali Sadi-Sief ALG 15 Mar 78 Villeneuve-d'Ascq 29 Jun 97

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:38 pm

50 - Skids 8 min flat Smile Greenwood WA 9/7/17 (hungover too)
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:06 pm

K wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
K wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

El Guerrouj perhaps can't but maybe the 82-year-old can.

Maybe the club knows better than to give him more than a single game until he's much fitter. His listed weight on the club website is also way too high. (Enough of the excuses about muscles. He's not the most muscular one at the club.)

He'll be fine. However as for the end of the footy world is nigh for Kirby because he ran over 8 minutes will remain as they've (perhaps you too) nailed their sail to the mast without knowing what the club and indeed the player is doing in all aspects of his footy development.

The indvidual stats per player has invariably been maleable. The club had McLarty once listed as 193 cm when he is far taller. There are other examples of this type of thing. Was this his weight when he first arrived?.........Once Kayle shaves his beard he'll be a lot lighter.

BTW who is lookig for excuses? I think you've done a bit of a straw man argument here.

jonmac533 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:12 pm

Just like on BF there are always a percentage of piranha type supporters, cruising the shallows and seeking unwary prey.
Should some factoid surface that may cast doubt on some aspect of the club or player management surface they swarm to feed.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:24 pm

Albert Parker wrote:
A collation of the best recorded times over 2km in the world - by age

2 000 METRES

6 7:43.8 Daniel Skandera USA 2 Nov 07 Santa Rosa CA 5 Oct 14
7 7:09.6 Daniel Skandera USA 2 Nov 07 Santa Rosa CA 4 Oct 15
8 6:54.6 Daniel Skandera USA 2 Nov 07 Santa Rosa CA 27 Oct 16
9 6:28.6 Daniel Skandera USA 2 Nov 07 Oakland CA 11 Oct 17
10 6:28.4 Reyes Estvez ESP 2 Aug 76 Barcelona 9 May 87
11 6:15.80 William Levay SWE 27 Aug 96 Stockholm 26 Aug 08
12 6:04.1 Lucas Bourgoyne USA 7 Apr 01 Houston TX 30 Mar 14
13 5:37.33 Dalibor Balgač CRO 22 Sep 77 Varadin 3 Aug 91

This is interesting, because it contradicts the 5:59 for 9-year-olds I quoted previously. It could be due to restrictions on the type of meet, timing system, etc. e.g. Hand timing might be ignored, even though it's not all that important for long distances. Along those lines, note that the dominant distance-running countries are not represented in that list (until 19-yr-olds), which mainly contains wealthy countries.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:51 pm

watt price tully wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

He'll be fine. ...
The indvidual stats per player has invariably been maleable. The club had McLarty once listed as 193 cm when he is far taller. There are other examples of this type of thing. Was this his weight when he first arrived?.........Once Kayle shaves his beard he'll be a lot lighter.

BTW who is lookig for excuses? I think you've done a bit of a straw man argument here.

A few points:

1) One can remain excited about his prospects without pretending that his aerobic fitness isn't a problem.

One can also acknowledge this problem without suffering angst. I think it's pretty clear that if he was moderately fit, we'd never have been able to draft him where we did (and Richmond would not have assumed they could have rookie-listed him, as they apparently did).

2) Yes, I don't trust the listed heights and weights, either. The heights don't seem reliable and they vary far less than weights. (e.g. when Darcy thought he'd grown, I remained skeptical. He was young enough to do so, but there are other possible explanations.)

3) I was not implying that anyone here was looking for excuses re. Kirby. I just meant that it's very common for people (everywhere) to invoke the myth of muscularity to explain away things such as BMI. I agree that BMI is just something made up, but if someone is (say) obese according to BMI it's highly unlikely that it's simply because he is muscular, unless he's a body-builder, which the vast majority of humanity is not. (For the record, Kirby is not obese. Wink )

You should know I don't have time for straw-man arguments, WPT. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: