Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who are our now or never players?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Langdons best games across his first two seasons are better than anything Scharenberg has produced to date.

Scharenberg has valid reasons for his slow start of course but so does Langdon across the past 2 years when injury killed off his season in 2016 and he slowly regained touch in 2017.

Given the opposite ends of the draft they were taken Langdon has delivered great value to date and Scharenberg entering his 5th season and on the back of a healthy 2017 really needs to elevate his game in 2018 to show why he was considered good enough for pick 6.

So far he is just a neat player who reads the play well but he lacks speed, physicality and takes the safe, short and wide option with the ball to often for my liking.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:10 pm

Also, he debuted in round 1 2014. He played the whole of his second season.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:37 pm

K wrote:
Swoop, their draft pick numbers are relevant to an evaluation of Hine and our recruiting team, but to little else. It's a sunk cost. It's only marginally more relevant than how much money Tom's parents spent sending him to Melbourne Grammar. Judging by his hair style, I think Tom didn't learn what his school teachers were trying to teach him. Or maybe times have changed.

swoop42 wrote:
Given the opposite ends of the draft they were taken Langdon has delivered great value to date and Scharenberg entering his 5th season and on the back of a healthy 2017 really needs to elevate his game in 2018 to show why he was considered good enough for pick 6.

Swoop, as I said in my previous post, that's a sunk cost and not relevant. It would only show why we should have any confidence in Hine's abilities. The only non-playing stuff that is really relevant is their salaries. With the salary cap being so important to team performance, you need a better output from your more highly paid players. I'm not sure what the current contracts of those two players are.
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:51 pm

Broomhead still for mine and Faz to a lesser degree. No nothing about Sier, but has to show something at whatever level.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 pm

a busted up ben reid has to go.
a performing, healthy ben reid stays.
he is crucial to us as is a tooth to a cog.
sitting on the sidelines with a long face again
this season should have his papers signed.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:24 pm

Jezza wrote:
McLarty - Could be a harsh nomination, but he's yet to play a senior game and we're in a situation where no one is sure whether he can break into the team in 2018. We're crying out for someone of his height to play senior football, but like Scharenberg, I don't think it's "now or never" for him just yet but he will be under pressure to get some senior game time this year.

Very Harsh. He played 1 Season and you already saying it's a Make or Break Season for Him Laughing

He is 197cm so talls can take a Fair Bit and had Injuries most of the Season.

Was very Promising game in the Finals vs Richmond.

Reckon he will Surprise some this Season

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:33 pm

Here's the reason we drafted him and why experts like Chocco Willaims rate him so highly.
There isn't a guarantee he can be the player we all dreamed (due to injury) of but I've said it before and I'll say it again "form is temporary class is forever"

Once described by Mark Williams as the best schoolboy talent he had seen since Wayne Carey, the South Australian is extremely composed in his disposal and shows great temperament in heavy traffic. Scharenberg is a 190cm key position player who is equally comfortable forward or back. Had an outstanding NAB AFL Under-18 Championships which saw him collect back-to-back All Australian selections in 2012-13. Scharenberg came runner-up in the Larke Medal for the best player in Division One and his ability to read the play and strong hands make him an unstoppable force in the air. Is considered a strong chance to be selected in the top-five in this year's draft.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2013-11-21/draftee-highlights-no-6-matthew-scharenberg
https://youtu.be/ILElIogwfVc
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:34 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Jezza wrote:
McLarty - Could be a harsh nomination, but he's yet to play a senior game and we're in a situation where no one is sure whether he can break into the team in 2018. We're crying out for someone of his height to play senior football, but like Scharenberg, I don't think it's "now or never" for him just yet but he will be under pressure to get some senior game time this year.

Very Harsh. He played 1 Season and you already saying it's a Make or Break Season for Him Laughing
He is 197cm so talls can take a Fair Bit and had Injuries most of the Season.
Was very Promising game in the Finals vs Richmond.

Reckon he will Surprise some this Season

Observations from training by WLad, cs1, et al. suggest he still needs more time to develop.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:07 pm

aish and sharenberg are at the fore front of many fans minds mainly
because we expect them to be elite now due to there junior and draft
number histories. but because their slow starters to our team due to
injuries and form (aish) they should also be given that same patience
we gave them whilst they were going through these setbacks and have
faith they are on the right path.
both are elite in disposal but that is it. both are good in contested possessions,for Collingwood standards. both are good marking players but both are slow and haven't showed enough attack on the ball or taking
on the game which disappoints most.
this year concerning these two players it would be good to see them
be more creative with there link up play. we haven't seen it yet
and it has to be because of there fitness levels.
bring them up to afl/elite standard and well have two gun contributors.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:11 pm

Exclusive pic of well-known Nickster telling Langdon this is a make-or-break year for him:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaVlKjWjY2L/?taken-by=tomlangdon08
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:16 am

The elephant is, plainly, not in the room.
BHPIE 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:48 am

Langdon, Broomhead n Smith
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:29 am

watt price tully wrote:
A bit harsh? Just a wee bit understated Jezza. I see where you're coming from but the kid needs a chance to grow & develop. Bigger players take time & despite wearing the #35 I reckon that's very harsh.

I'm not too far off 193 cm and he is way taller than 193cm when I congratulated him post a VFL game last year.

All valid points WPT. One of my good mates played cricket with Sam and couldn't speak highly enough of him as a person. He thought we had a great prospect on our hands.

I'm probably as impatient as the next person and want to see him in the senior team sooner than later, but I understand the development of key position players always takes time.

mudlark 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:08 am
Post subject: Re: Who are our now or never players?Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Here is my list of players who have been on our list for while, but, for various reasons, mainly a history of injuries, have yet to cement a regular senior spot. For these players, I'd suggest that 2018 will be their make or break seasons, by which time they'll either become regular senior players or will face the chop.

Aish - comes from great pedigree, but so far has failed to deliver.

Scharenberg - cruelled by in juries, but this being his 4th (or is it 5th?) year, it's time for him to perform on the big stage and cement a spot in our best 22.

Sier - entering his 3rd year without a senior game, and without much VFL form either, he'll either make it this year or be delisted at the season's end.

Broomhead - has showed glimpses, but has so far failed to string many good games together. With Daicos, Kirby and the Brown brothers on the rise, Broomhead must improve this season or else it will be his last at the Pies.

Thomas - given a life-line in 2017, he (like Broomhead) needs to grab a spot and make it his own this year, or else he'll find himself surpassed by the next wave of young midfielders on our list.

I really can't see the angst with Aish.I think he's a gun and was injured which stopped a fair run he was having.Has plenty of courage and is a good kick.Shaz is a gun who didn't get started for 3 years because o 2 knee rego's.A bit of slack there and his last few games last year dispelled any doubt in my mind what hE has to offer. Sier. Well he needs game time.Whether Buckley let's him rot on the vine like most draftees ,will determine his future. Broomhead's had his chance.Cannot believe he is still with us.Brings nothing to the team. Thomas is a hard nut but may struggle to get a game ahead of other up and comers.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:09 pm
Post subject: Re: Who are our now or never players?Reply with quote

mudlark wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Here is my list of players who have been on our list for while, but, for various reasons, mainly a history of injuries, have yet to cement a regular senior spot. For these players, I'd suggest that 2018 will be their make or break seasons, by which time they'll either become regular senior players or will face the chop.

Aish - comes from great pedigree, but so far has failed to deliver.

Scharenberg - cruelled by in juries, but this being his 4th (or is it 5th?) year, it's time for him to perform on the big stage and cement a spot in our best 22.

Sier - entering his 3rd year without a senior game, and without much VFL form either, he'll either make it this year or be delisted at the season's end.

Broomhead - has showed glimpses, but has so far failed to string many good games together. With Daicos, Kirby and the Brown brothers on the rise, Broomhead must improve this season or else it will be his last at the Pies.

Thomas - given a life-line in 2017, he (like Broomhead) needs to grab a spot and make it his own this year, or else he'll find himself surpassed by the next wave of young midfielders on our list.

I really can't see the angst with Aish.I think he's a gun and was injured which stopped a fair run he was having.Has plenty of courage and is a good kick.Shaz is a gun who didn't get started for 3 years because o 2 knee rego's.A bit of slack there and his last few games last year dispelled any doubt in my mind what hE has to offer. Sier. Well he needs game time.Whether Buckley let's him rot on the vine like most draftees ,will determine his future. Broomhead's had his chance.Cannot believe he is still with us.Brings nothing to the team. Thomas is a hard nut but may struggle to get a game ahead of other up and comers.

I'm not suggesting that Aish or any of those I listed aren't good players, or that they probably won't make it. All I'm saying is that, since they have all been AFL listed players for several years now, the pressure will definitely be on them to demonstrate their worth by becoming regular senior selections, or else their futures with us will most likely finish at the end of this year. Hopefully, they all deliver on their promise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: