Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Melbourne CBD incident December 2017

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mentally ill drug addict" Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Jezza on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:40 pm

Would you recommend this action to a friend?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:49 pm

Well props to Vic police. I just had a pop up on facebook, Vic Police went live with a press conference. Using social media to get the word out, significant tick.

From memory, 2 people have been arrested. the driver is a 32 year old Australian citizen of Afghan origins, with a history of mental health and drug use who was known to police. No evidence at this stage to suggest terrorism. The other bloke arrested was filming the carnage on his phone and was carrying a bag full of knives.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:13 am

^ So only one person in the car, then?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:52 am

Citizen by birth or $465 test? If the later, revoke it, and send him home after he gets out of jail. Oh and put him in general pop.

Was the knife guy a chef or another nutter?

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:46 am

The media are gutted it’s not terror related. I hope all the people pull through.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:13 am

Looks like one of those cases where it’s hard to tell where mental health issues end and political motivations begin. Certainly looks unlikely that it was in any way a co-ordinated attack, in any case.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/dec/22/flinders-street-melbourne-incident-crash-driver-mistreatment-muslims-police

Quote:
“During those discussions, he made some utterances in respect to a number of matters,” Patton said.

“He spoke of dreams and voices, but also attributed some of his activities as well due to the mistreatment of Muslims.”

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:33 am

^^Had to get the Muslim angle in the Story.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:02 am

Fair enough to report it if it was a motivation, though?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:31 am

Culprit wrote:

So you are saying that he didn’t say it ? That the press made it up ?

I agree with you, David, the factors are probably very scrambled in this case.

What is clear is that our society is not what it was. The peaceful, mostly law-abiding society we had for much of the twentieth century has gone. The question is why, and whether Pandora’s box can be restored in any part. The breakdown really started on a large scale in the 1970s, and it seems to worsen every year. They will tell you that crime has reduced in the last ten years, relying on public amnesia.

Murder rates have stayed largely constant for thirty years - an indictment, given the incredible improvements in trauma surgery and response over the period (Japan’s homicide rate has halved from a low base in the last thirty years because of this). Duncan Chappell of the AiC showed that the rate of serious assaults increased fourfold from 1974 to 1987, and most available data (from NSW and Qld, no clear data from Vic) shows that serious assault and rape has doubled since then. This eightfold increase is broadly consistent with GBH stats in the UK since 1960.

The enormous trail of broken bodies and wrecked lives in these statistics is something that people seriously concerned about real social welfare should ponder as we digest this latest outrage. Our social thermostat adapts to a new normal as the heat around us rises, until the law-abiding peaceful, tolerant society we know and love eventually dies, and something much more brutish and nasty takes its place.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:05 am

Mugwump wrote:
Culprit wrote:

What is clear is that our society is not what it was. The peaceful, mostly law-abiding society we had for much of the twentieth century has gone. The question is why, and whether Pandora’s box can be restored in any part. The breakdown really started on a large scale in the 1970s, and it seems to worsen every year. They will tell you that crime has reduced in the last ten years, relying on public amnesia.

Murder rates have stayed largely constant for thirty years - an indictment, given the incredible improvements in trauma surgery and response over the period (Japan’s homicide rate has halved from a low base in the last thirty years because of this). Duncan Chappell of the AiC showed that the rate of serious assaults increased fourfold from 1974 to 1987, and most available data (from NSW and Qld, no clear data from Vic) shows that serious assault and rape has doubled since then. This eightfold increase is broadly consistent with GBH stats in the UK since 1960.

The enormous trail of broken bodies and wrecked lives in these statistics is something that people seriously concerned about real social welfare should ponder as we digest this latest outrage. Our social thermostat adapts to a new normal as the heat around us rises, until the law-abiding peaceful, tolerant society we know and love eventually dies, and something much more brutish and nasty takes its place.

Really?
It's blatantly obvious but people keep their mouths shut for fear of being tagged; racist, bigot or an islamaphobe.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:09 am

What makes you say that. Who says that?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:16 am

The Muslim angle makes a better story, the media can build up the hatred and fear as that is what sells.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:16 am

Skids wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Really?
It's blatantly obvious but people keep their mouths shut for fear of being tagged; racist, bigot or an islamaphobe.

Oh, I think that’s part of it, but the rot started before multiculturalism or culturally-distant migration, though that has deepened the relativism which underlies the silent massacre in those statistics. I think it is a complex problem which we cannot begin to address until we start to put facts and reason above sentimental self-regard. I don’t think it can be reversed, but I live in hope.

Last edited by Mugwump on Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:20 am

Culprit wrote:
The Muslim angle makes a better story, the media can build up the hatred and fear as that is what sells.

When someone drives a car at high speed into a crowd of people, it’d be strange not to report the reasons he gives. Especially when it is part of a global pattern.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: