Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Triple M plans for Hottest 100 ambush

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:43 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
Well on possibly the last Australia Day I’ll still be a full blood Pom I’ll just say

RULE BRITTANIA!!!

Pommies Rule!!

Here's the number one for your top 100, then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VzsQoR806c

I'm sure I've linked this magical song in previous threads about Australia Day, so this time I've gone for the live one with the Mike Cotton Sound supplying the brass.

Here's number 1A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx6iAfAAT8Y

Here's number 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vWTtx_PxPo

And number 3 (well, part 1 of it anyway): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8RhZDGLEXM

And number 4 (best colonial interpretation of a song by the Fab 4): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcePGWttlHY

And 5 (second best colonial interpretation of a song by the Fab 4): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iptr7i7sFkM

And 6 (worst colonial video miming by a British pop icon): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZkTh_T75QY

7 (best single by a whole lot of English guys - and a Dutch guy - who had to come to Australia to be appreciated): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iW2_Ec3uEU

8 (the version of 7 most likely to make you appreciate why the Australian original was the hit): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCgNCczbixc

9 (best near-enough attempt at singing by a colonial soap star): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPwtJ89jes4&index=4&list=PLT3sgb2bWiz76R-_CR4-a2mCfnXMXapBc

10 (if you do not admire this song as the Greatest Psychedelic Record Of All Time, you cannot become an Australian citizen): https://www.youtube.com/watch?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HImcaPDmfBY&index=18&list=PLT3sgb2bWiz76R-_CR4-a2mCfnXMXapBc
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:28 pm

Probably the only kylie song i actually like!! the rest just about killed me!!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:19 pm

That Bowie version of Friday on my mind was like watching someone eat a leper using the scabs for chips.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:24 pm

Harsh but fair.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:43 pm

I suspect Rundle is on the money here:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2018/01/22/rundle-why-australia-day-is-done-for/

Quote:
‘Australia Day’ will fail for the same reason same-sex marriage succeeded
Guy Rundle

Australia Day, as January 26, is dead. Gone. Already over. It will keep walking around for a few years, maybe a decade or so, but there will eventually be another national day. What day that will be? God knows. But it will have to be a day that marks something of both settler and Indigenous importance. Maybe “1967 Referendum Day”? “Mabo Day”? It might end up being plain old bloody Anzac Day, since Aboriginal soldiers served. They were shabbily treated then and after, but serve they did, a result which might actually be worse than January 26. The day Trevor Chappell bowled underarm? The anniversary of Khe Sanh’s release? Any of these.

Australia Day was gone as soon as it could start to be questioned by more than a small minority of the population. In 1938, Aboriginal activists, Communists and some radical Christians staged the first Day of Mourning on Australia Day. Such a marking came and went — as did regard for Australia Day itself — over the decades, returning to public attention as “Invasion Day” in the radical 1970s, and again on the Bicentennial in 1988. But it remained the preserve of Indigenous activists and the white radical left, overwhelmingly an inner-urban intelligentsia and related groupings.

Why has it suddenly become a live wire? Because, of course, the intelligentsia are no longer a marginal grouping, at the edge of an industrial economy. They are now the knowledge class, at the centre of a knowledge/culture economy. To operate that economy and society, they must be trained to think reflexively, to incessantly reshape their own work, life conditions, etc. When those capacities are turned towards the consideration of social life, the unquestioning transmission of tradition is interrupted. Everything is held up to scrutiny, against the claims of a liberal society: of equality of all peoples, of the right to live, and to flourish equally as human beings.

Once that has become general among the knowledge class, and once the knowledge class has ensured that it becomes general in the wider primary/secondary education system — amidst a world changed so that everyone lives surrounded by a mass culture emphasising equality, a cosmopolitan world — it’s all over red rover. At some point some things start to seem obvious to people, and their inherited absence absurd. At some point, for enough people, the idea that you celebrate the violent destruction of a life-world — the entire realm of being of a people — just became a ridiculous proposition, something one chokes on.

For decades, Australia Day, Empire Day, etc, were celebrations of one thing: the British race, and its expansion to world domination, as its right. After World War II, race identity was discredited, liberalism enthroned. The 1960s-1990s characterless Australia Day — beer, beach, BBQ — appears to have been a de facto cultural shift in that light. By the 2000s, Australia was no longer Anglo-dominated, so even the ghost of a race holiday had ceased to work. Howard, whose policies had ensured the snuffing-out of Anglo-Australia, tried to re-inscribe it with an ersatz Anglo-derived nationalism layered over the top.

The coda to this was the Cronulla white riots. In response, Rudd, adopting the “progressive patriotism” of Tim Soutphommasane, tried to engineer a content-free national pride focused on abstract values entirely — ending on the absurdity of an ad campaign asking the general public to design their own Australia Day, which pretty much blew the whole thing up. That opened the way for the current contestation, which has been given a powerful boost by the new global rebellion against white narratives and unquestioned authority.

Conservatives trying to turn this into a culture war are helping hurry January 26 to extinction — because as soon as the contested nature is acknowledged, what remains of the day’s mystique has been wholly surrendered. If they were genuinely concerned about keeping Australia Day, they would retreat to a pluralist position, say that: ‘No one day can represent everyone in a modern society, and no one is obliged to mark it. We will mark it as a simple gesture to continuity, to the past of the present, to the struggles, triumphs, defeats, hopes and dreams of those who went before, to the world they made that we live in.’

That sort of release valve would probably save the day, drawing on Australian conservatism’s best friend: our nation’s deep residual apathy. Instead, whether out of nihilistic political calculus, or sheer stupidity, the right are fueling the progressive fire. Surely they realise by now this principle: in our era, where a proposed reform cuts with the grain of the liberal ideal of universal equality and rights — and makes a law or institution a simpler expression of that universality — it will begin as a progressive/knowledge class cause, and end up being taken up a mass belief. It is only when progressives try to institute changes that enforce their particularistic view as policy and law, that they get rebuffed. Thus, same-sex marriage triumphs, but Safe Schools doesn’t. Recognition and a treaty would get through, but a “Voice to Parliament” probably wouldn’t. Moving Australia Day will eventually come to be seen as a necessary act to live up to a modern liberal ideal. The more the right campaign against it, the sooner that will occur.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:02 pm

^ yawn. “Don’t struggle against us you’ll only make it worse” - the “argument” of this piece - has been the chant of Lobotomists, Soviet psychiatrists and torturers down the ages. And as for “apathy is conservatism’s best friend”, I’d say the capitulation of the majority to noisy minorities in the last 40 years proves the exact opposite. Nothing about Australia Day “cuts against universal equality” (I presume he means equality before the law) and rights, both of which actually followed from it. Terribly weak thought-free article.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:27 pm

The "Knowledge class" ? Shocked Confused Rolling Eyes

Tickets please. Grundle has his lips attached firmly to his own rectum.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:11 pm

What don’t we switch Australia Day back to its original date? The date our original ANZAC’s used. As I stated in a previous post - the 26/01 was really only NSW date that was then foisted upon the rest of us. Our real history was to initially choose July 30. That’s the original Australia Day - The article is from Australian War Memorial Canberra.

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/blog/the-other-australia-day-30-july-1915
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:02 pm

sixpoints wrote:
What don’t we switch Australia Day back to its original date? The date our original ANZAC’s used. As I stated in a previous post - the 26/01 was really only NSW date that was then foisted upon the rest of us. Our real history was to initially choose July 30. That’s the original Australia Day - The article is from Australian War Memorial Canberra.

So Australia Day should be a day dreamed up as a fundraiser for a slaughterhouse, instead of the day on which our law and institutions were established ? No thanks. Australia has enough of an Anzac fetish already. If 26 Jan is to go, then the only sensible alternative for a serious nation is 1 Jan, the date of federation and the adoption of our constitution. New Year’s Day is pretty pointless anyway, just a change on the calendar. Why not change its meaning to something significant ? It’d also be a good test -who believes the 26Jan is so problematic that they’d be prepared to pay a price to move it ?

Then the locusts, replete with their success, can fly off to badger us all on changing the flag to something with a bit more of a third world look.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:25 pm

Bingo.

Change the date to February 31 and..........................

While the Greens and the SJW's slap themselves on the back for their achievement, absolutely zero changes for Aboriginal people.

The country was still colonised, we're still here, they still have the same issues as they had the day before, the only difference is there is now a larger chunk of the population pissed off at the change than there was at the date prior to the change.

Winning. Confused Rolling Eyes

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:11 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Bingo.

Change the date to February 31 and..........................

While the Greens and the SJW's slap themselves on the back for their achievement, absolutely zero changes for Aboriginal people.

The country was still colonised, we're still here, they still have the same issues as they had the day before, the only difference is there is now a larger chunk of the population pissed off at the change than there was at the date prior to the change.

Winning. Confused Rolling Eyes

My point earlier.Thanks for nothing. Then get rid of religious holidays like easter and Christmas . The Queens birthday of course. That will leave Cup day and ANZAC day which will be the next targets. New Years day is a roman calander day so give it the arse. And as for Sunday. A christian tradition , ditch it as a day off. No need for Saturdays off either as we can shop 24 hours. Lets see how long the unions etc back the SJW and other drum beaters. One millisecond. The greens etc will be washed away at the next election.

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:26 pm

Mugwump wrote:
sixpoints wrote:

So Australia Day should be a day dreamed up as a fundraiser for a slaughterhouse, instead of the day on which our law and institutions were established ? No thanks. Australia has enough of an Anzac fetish already. If 26 Jan is to go, then the only sensible alternative for a serious nation is 1 Jan, the date of federation and the adoption of our constitution. New Year’s Day is pretty pointless anyway, just a change on the calendar. Why not change its meaning to something significant ? It’d also be a good test -who believes the 26Jan is so problematic that they’d be prepared to pay a price to move it ?

Then the locusts, replete with their success, can fly off to badger us all on changing the flag to something with a bit more of a third world look.

January 1 seems a logical day, but I think our indigenous friends may find it even more offensive as they weren't considered citizens in our newly formed Constitution.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:30 pm

^ yes, those same people were desperate to change Anzac Day in the 1970s and 1980s because it supposedly “glorified war”... they are, I suppose, just not bright enough to understand that a day of significance can bear many levels of meaning, interpretation and reflection as Anzac Day does.

I can see every reason to use 26th January as a day of sober reflection on what was lost by the Aboriginal people, while also celebrating that the Spanish didn’t colonise the country, given their long history of savage exploitation of native people, political corruption and military coups. The SJW and small interest groups can only cope with one meaning, it seems - the one meaning that rewrites our nation’s history as a chapter of shame (and theirs, by extension, a glorious struggle for niceness) so that they can claim rights on the present.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:40 pm

How about we change it to the date when we actually became a fully independent country, as opposed to some other country’s prison colony or dominion? (Hint: it wasn’t the 1st of January...)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_Act_1986

Though, more likely, it’ll just be the day that we become a republic.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:02 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ yes, those same people were desperate to change Anzac Day in the 1970s and 1980s because it supposedly “glorified war”... they are, I suppose, just not bright enough to understand that a day of significance can bear many levels of meaning, interpretation and reflection as Anzac Day does.

I can see every reason to use 26th January as a day of sober reflection on what was lost by the Aboriginal people, while also celebrating that the Spanish didn’t colonise the country, given their long history of savage exploitation of native people, political corruption and military coups. The SJW and small interest groups can only cope with one meaning, it seems - the one meaning that rewrites our nation’s history as a chapter of shame (and theirs, by extension, a glorious struggle for niceness) so that they can claim rights on the present.

The 26/01 is certainly one of those days of significance that have always borne different levels of meaning and interpretation. I think we all need to be "bright enough" to understand that.
Since the 26/01 was chosen as the National Day in the 1930's (chosen by a committee mind you and not officially ratified by all states until 1994), it has generated alternative views. The first Day of Mourning occurred back in 1938, it is not something new. For as long as we have had the committee chosen 26/01, we have had opposing responses to that decision.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8   

Jump to: