Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Triple M plans for Hottest 100 ambush

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
^ it’s not meant to be an education. Education is.

Precisely! Let us celebrate a day that we can all celebrate, and leave history to the classroom (and try to do a much better job of that) and other forms of information exchange. That's all I am (and most people in favour of changing the date are) saying.

Last edited by David on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:29 pm

^ see my edit
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:34 pm

David wrote:
As is the case with so many other culture wars arguments...

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/most-dont-care-when-australia-day-is-held-poll-finds-20180116-h0j0w9.html

Quote:
A majority of voters would not mind if Australia Day was shifted to a different date and most don't know why it's currently held on January 26.

New polling also reveals that only about a third of Australians – 37 per cent – realise the date is offensive to many Indigenous people because it represents the beginning of the dispossession and violence of British colonisation.

As the political and community debate about the "change the date" movement continues to intensify, the Research Now survey of 1417 people suggests nearly all Australians – 84 per cent – think it is important the country has a national day of celebration.

But 56 per cent say they don't mind when the day occurs, challenging the notion that Australians see January 26 as sacred or untouchable.

Good to see the Australian penchant for being laidback and not caring too much for sacred cows is still alive!

Of course, it's a little startling that we celebrate "Australia Day" on the day of the assertion of British sovereignty over Australia. That leaves me almost as bemused as I was left seeing Dennis Lillee given the "Best Colonial Bowler" award at the end of the Centenary Test. It would be nice if we could mark a day that celebrates the independent country, rather than the start of the British Crown's ownership of the colony. Say, eg, the anniversary of the day "The Real Thing" was first mimed on "Uptight" by Russell Morris or the day the last copy of "Old Man Emu" was melted down and recycled into grocery bags.

Seriously, it might be good to celebrate our independence, rather than our former subservience. India has both an Independence Day and a Republic Day. Perhaps we could celebrate the former (until we can celebrate the latter). January 1 is a bad day for a public holiday but perhaps we could celebrate the day the Australia Constitution Act received the Royal Assent (9 July)? There's no reason not to have a national day but there is every reason not to commemorate our long-lost colonial status.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:22 pm

You raise an excellent point.

While it's easy to bleat out that we should change the date of Australia day, I'm yet to see any genuine alternatives,

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:02 am

stui magpie wrote:
You raise an excellent point.

While it's easy to bleat out that we should change the date of Australia day, I'm yet to see any genuine alternatives,

If you change it from the day that real history happened - ships arrived and a system of government and law was transplanted - then you can pick any bit of administrative politico-legal technicality, really. But the day that modern Australia was born was when Cook found the East Coast, or Phillip landed and stuck it out. If we can’t hack that, why celebrate the establishment of a constitution that excluded aboriginal people from Federal powers and required a referendum to assure Aboriginal people of the right to vote for a Federal government many years later in 1967?

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:14 pm

If we persist in celebrating the events of January 26 1788, then we must do it properly.
The only celebrations should occur in Sydney, as all other colonies on the continent had their own unique starting points.
The celebration must be based upon the arrival of the British. That is the crux of the day. The Britsh navy could be invited to sail into the harbour, or we could reenact Britsh sailing ships arriving. To be true to history all must fly nothing but British insignia.
We can make speeches about how the history of modern Australia started on 26/01/1788 and invite a Britsh delegate to be personally thanked for the provision of Britsh forms of law and government eg The Queen or maybe Prince Charles.
After the speeches, the Queen or Prince Charles could then ceremonially plant a British flag somewhere around Circular Quay.
If that's what we commemorate, then thats what we should celebrate.
Any notion of us celebrating what we are now, or how our nation has progressed over 200 years could be done at any other time.
But if we use 26/01 then it is for Sydney and to celebrate exactly what happened on the day.
If we choose that day, then we honour it.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:41 pm

^ good idea, and when we celebrate Anzac Day we can invite Jacinda Adern to invade Turkey with us. Any discussion of other military losses will need another day. At Christmas we should only remember the birth of Jesus Christ and send three wise men - Di Natalie, Shorten and Turnbull - to Bethlehem. It could all catch on. And for the Queens Birthday holiday we better get the old dear down here each year while we all face Buckingham Palace and pray.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Maybe, just maybe, we can leave the day where it is and instead of carrying on the divisive argument, we look to help the Aboriginal people drop the culture of victimhood fostered by the Greens and other SJW's.

Excellent short article by Warren Mundine on the subject.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/if-we-think-like-victims-thats-what-well-be/news-story/c8fc8afda1440d315c9a1d61569cd020

And if you sneer at him as being a race traitor, you're part of the problem.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:41 pm

^ while there is no magic bullet, I don’t think we’ll make great progress until aboriginal people believe they, like the rest of us, have opportunities as citizens of a globalising world in a prosperous Australia, while being proud of their ancient heritage. What happened to their ancestors was painful but historically inevitable in its time, and while many wrongs were done, it might have played out far worse in other hands. The point of history is to learn what drives the world, and to remember with sadness and celebration how our culture lived, changed, succeeded and failed in time. It is not a dirge to justify claims on the present.

Unfortunately too many people depend on a contrary narrative to the above for their meal ticket.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:08 pm

I've witnessed the Victim mentality he refers to and it isn't exclusive to Aboriginals. It's a state of mind that can infect anyone doing it hard, kids growing up in poverty for one.

The point for me is, the difference a positive outlook can make. If you believe your life is £$%$ed, it's someone else's fault and you can't fix it, you're screwed from day 1. if you take a positive attitude, without ignoring the past, it's amazing what can be achieved.

I stand by the comment that the greens and SJW's are unwittingly fostering this victimhood culture. Is there a version of paternalism where instead of being the dad you try to be the supportive big brother but just end up being paternalistic?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:13 pm

^ I am almost certain that the Greens and SJWs care (like the rest of us, funnily enough) about the condition of indigenous Australians. They are also utterly immune to the idea that their ideology might be counter-productive. How can I be wrong when I’m so damn concerned ?? Etc
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:17 pm

Yep. Genuine concern plus trying to do the right thing doesn't always equal doing the right thing.

Classic example

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:14 pm

It’s not actually about race. I’m annoyed about the celebration of British sovereignty, rather than a celebration that relates to Australia’s establishment as an independent country. It doesn’t actually matter what the answer is to the “Invasion Day” problem - the celebration should be moved because 26 January has nothing to do with Australia’s nationhood and everything to do with the raising of the British flag. Since at least the passing of the Australia Acts in 1986, this holiday has been left on the wrong day. It’s a pathetic example of cultural cringe by a country full of Anglo-centric whimps.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:55 am

Well on possibly the last Australia Day I’ll still be a full blood Pom I’ll just say

RULE BRITTANIA!!!

Pommies Rule!!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:58 am

Mugwump wrote:
^ while there is no magic bullet, I don’t think we’ll make great progress until aboriginal people believe they, like the rest of us, have opportunities as citizens of a globalising world in a prosperous Australia, while being proud of their ancient heritage. What happened to their ancestors was painful but historically inevitable in its time, and while many wrongs were done, it might have played out far worse in other hands. The point of history is to learn what drives the world, and to remember with sadness and celebration how our culture lived, changed, succeeded and failed in time. It is not a dirge to justify claims on the present.

Unfortunately too many people depend on a contrary narrative to the above for their meal ticket.

Great post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8   

Jump to: