Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Triple M plans for Hottest 100 ambush

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:52 pm
Post subject: Triple M plans for Hottest 100 ambushReply with quote

Triple M sticks it up Triple J for their pathetic pandering stunt of moving the Hottest 100 from Australia Day. Laughing

Quote:
Triple M plans for Hottest 100 ambush

Triple J’s controversial decision to move the Hottest 100 from Australia Day has been hit with a surprise ambush.

While appeals for the ABC to block the move fell on deaf ears, rival FM station Triple M has taken matters into its own hands, announcing plans to host a similar countdown on January 26.

In a statement sent to Triple M subscribers on Wednesday, the broadcaster said:

“So, the taxpayer funded FM has decided that there’ll be no soundtrack for Australia Day. Let’s face it, that’s usually full of hipsters or kids making music on a Mac.

“At Triple M, we’re going to give you what you’ve asked for. The perfect Australia Day soundtrack.”

The announcement drew a mixed reaction from music fans, with some backing Triple M’s stance while others dubbed the move “tone deaf”.

A station spokeswoman said in a statement: “At Triple M we are avid supporters of Aussie music and like we do throughout the year and every Australia Day we will celebrate Aussie artists.”

It comes after Triple J last month revealed that its popular Hottest 100 countdown would no longer be held on Australia Day, citing a survey that indicated 60 per cent of listeners supported the change.

Instead, the station will rebrand the countdown as the Hottest 100 Weekend, with next year’s to be broadcast on January 27.

The move followed debate about Australia Day’s meaning to indigenous Australians, with activists had lobbying Triple J to move the countdown as part of a campaign for the national holiday to be changed.

Communications Minister Mitch Fifield last month wrote to the ABC Board requesting that it overturn Triple J’s decision, arguing that the taxpayer-funded station should not be taking a stand on the political issue.

“I am bewildered by the ABC’s decision to move the Hottest 100 from Australia Day,” Fifield said.

“The ABC shouldn’t be buying into this debate. Australia Day is our national day. The ABC should honour it and not mess with the Hottest 100.”

The ABC has been contacted for comment.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/triple-m-plans-for-hottest-100-ambush/news-story/bd8e1cba4c1f5f40fdda83c5905577f4
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't listen to the Radio
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Yeah, read that before.

MMM usually goes an all aussie line up on Australia day, so not much really different, just they get to tick one up on JJJ.

I'll be listening, I always have the radio on MMM during the day.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:39 pm

Apparently, having a countdown on Australia Day is now racist.
Let's be clear about all this. The goal isn't to change the date of Australia Day.
The goal is to ban any type of acknowledgement of this country's achievements. Pride is not acceptable. Guilt and self-hatred are the only emotions allowed.

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/nitv-news/article/2017/12/21/tone-deaf-bogans-triple-m-blasted-announcing-new-hottest-100-australia-day
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:17 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Apparently, having a countdown on Australia Day is now racist.
Let's be clear about all this. The goal isn't to change the date of Australia Day.
The goal is to ban any type of acknowledgement of this country's achievements. Pride is not acceptable. Guilt and self-hatred are the only emotions allowed.

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/nitv-news/article/2017/12/21/tone-deaf-bogans-triple-m-blasted-announcing-new-hottest-100-australia-day

Interesting comment, we wen't through that cultural period once before, it was called the cultural cringe. I thought we were over it, but I guess things get recycled in reverse. last time it was the Right leading the charge, now it's the left.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:51 pm

I’m all for changing the date, but Triple J were just being tokenistic by moving it to the next day. I doubt Triple M are particularly politically motivated either. Just all a bit of free publicity for both. Who cares?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:01 pm

The ABC’s level of leftist political bias is truly shocking. The BBC has auditable impartiality obligations built into its charter, and it is high time the ABC did the same, for the contrast is jaw-dropping. It is a grotesque injustice that around 50% of Australians are forced to fund, via their taxes, propaganda for causes they do not support : taxation without representation.

Independent, and thus hopefully impartial, public broadcasting is an important pillar of a thriving democracy. The ABC does not pass that test. It doesn’t even sit the exam. It should be fixed (my preference) or reformed as a subscription station.

Last edited by Mugwump on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:37 pm

David wrote:
I’m all for changing the date, but Triple J were just being tokenistic by moving it to the next day. I doubt Triple M are particularly politically motivated either. Just all a bit of free publicity for both. Who cares?

No one who likes music.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:02 am

Excellent!
Some decent music to listen to while the snags sizzle and the kids empty my pool.

Triple J play utter garbage anyway, can't stand it.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:19 pm

A few years ago JJJ had the "greatest of all time "100. From a distant memory they had something like 3 female artists. Somehow I don't think that many people care about JJJ.
I have said before. Just cancel Australia day and replace it with nothing. We will hear some whining then. You could argue that every public holiday except maybe New Years day offends someone. And make sure everyone knows who the offended are so they can be told "thanks a lot you whining dickhead" by neighbours and work colleagues alike.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:26 pm

Personally I vote to leave Australia Day on January 26th until we become a republic.

Then, that date becomes the new National holiday, inclusive for all people.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:33 pm

Of course, there’s no way of guaranteeing that people will embrace it in the meantime. Those who are happy with it will and those who aren’t won’t. I agree though that the day of the successful vote on the republic would be a good day to change it to.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:06 am

stui magpie wrote:
Personally I vote to leave Australia Day on January 26th until we become a republic.

If you do that, then they will have won. 26th January was the day that modern Australia was born from an event that has shaped 200 years of progress, liberty and prosperity. It will then have been erased by people who want to forget and deny their past, their dead, and the foundation of their liberties and beliefs. This will have been effected by a malcontented minority who think that generations of Australians should be steeped in shame.

The Queens Birthday holiday should be replaced if we become a republic, for it will have been superseded, and it will be of little relevance ; but Australia Day (26th Jan) will always be the day Australia’s history changed and modern Australia was born. Though it is unfashionable to say it, too, it was relatively fortunate for the Aboriginal people that their inevitable colonization occurred under the occasionally idealistic British, rather than the available alternatives such as Japanese, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Belgian or Dutch. All of those nations treated colonized native peoples worse than the British government treated the aboriginal people, in an era when slavery was still normal international practice. It was not nice, and in parts it was very ugly. Let that story be told. But let it be told, too, that that mottled history was patched, in many places, with higher ideals than the time normally afforded.

A country that is proud does not render its history down to blubber just to shut up those who have built, and climbed upon, their own pedestal, to aggrandize themselves by looking down on our past.

Last edited by Mugwump on Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:12 am

It seemed like nice and in parts it was ugly.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:41 am

Mugwump wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

If you do that, then they will have won. 26th January was the day that modern Australia was born from an event that has shaped 200 years of progress, liberty and prosperity. It will then have been erased by people who want to forget and deny their past, their dead, and the foundation of their liberties and beliefs. This will have been effected by a malcontented minority who think that generations of Australians should be steeped in shame.

The Queens Birthday holiday should be replaced if we become a republic, for it will have been superseded, and it will be of little relevance ; but Australia Day (26th Jan) will always be the day Australia’s history changed and modern Australia was born. Though it is unfashionable though to say it, too, relatively fortunate for the Aboriginal people that their inevitable colonization occurred under the occasionally idealistic British, rather than the available alternatives such as Japanese, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Belgian or Dutch. All of those nations treated colonized native peoples worse than the British government treated the aboriginal people, in an era when slavery was still normal international practice. It was not nice, and in parts it was very ugly. Let that story be told. But let it be told, too, that that mottled history was patched, in many places, with higher ideals than the time normally afforded.

A country that is proud does not render its history down to blubber just to shut up those who have built, and climbed upon, their own pedestal, to aggrandize themselves by looking down on our past.

fair points.

I agree btw that the Aboriginal people were fortunate that the country was colinised by England compared to others (certainly Spain).

I also agree on replacing the queen's Birthday so maybe we have both Australia Day and Republic Day and reframe what they're about to a degree.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8   

Jump to: