Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Triple M plans for Hottest 100 ambush

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Or she is. Take your pick.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:43 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Well... lets see .... I know which way I'm leaning

Born at Belele Station, near Meekatharra, Western Australia in 1944, she was separated from her mother and family at the age of four and raised at Sister Kate's home in Queens Park, Western Australia. After leaving school, she joined the army as a full-time soldier and between 1961 and 1964 was a full-time member of the Women's Royal Australian Army Corps (WRAAC) based mostly in the eastern states.

Following her army career she worked in various administrative positions around Australia and, in the early 1970s, started a long association with the Pilbara region, working mostly in Aboriginal Affairs with both urban and traditional people. She was awarded the National Aboriginal Overseas Study Award to study employment programs with a number of Native American communities in the United States in 1977

She was appointed as Commissioner for Aboriginal Planning in 1986, becoming the first Aboriginal person to head a government department in Western Australia,[1] and in 1988 was appointed as a magistrate in the Perth Children's Court, at which time she was the first full-time and first Aboriginal magistrate in the state's history.

In 1990, she was appointed as one of the first five commissioners of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission (ATSIC), for one year.

In 2002, she was appointed to head an inquiry into family violence and child abuse in Western Australian Aboriginal communities by the Premier of Western Australia, Geoff Gallop. The inquiry was known as the "Gordon Inquiry"[3] and resulted in the closure of the controversial Swan Valley Noongar Camp. The inquiry came about as a result of a November 2001 report by the State Coroner on the death of a teenage girl at the Swan Valley Camp. The coroner found that the girl had encountered "sexual violation, violence, and the ravages of alcohol and substance abuse. In desperation, and despite contact with several government agencies, she died in tragic circumstances at the age of 15." The report by the inquiry ran to over 640 pages and made 197 findings and recommendations.[4]

On 15 April 2004, Senator Amanda Vanstone, Minister for Indigenous Affairs appointed her as head of the new National Indigenous Council, an advisory body to the Federal Government, following the winding down of ATSIC.[5] Following her appointment, she was interviewed and asked for her views on the Stolen Generation, and whether she would seek an apology from Prime Minister, John Howard, to which she replied:

"No. I personally didn't want an apology because it should have gone to my mother. But my mother's passed away now, so it's too late. And what's an apology going to achieve now?"

Gordon has a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from the University of Western Australia and, in 2003, received an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Letters (Hon.DLitt) from the same university. Other awards include the 'Aboriginal Development Commission Australia Day Council Award' in 1986, the 'Paul Harris Fellow' from the Rotary Club of Perth in 1994 and, in 2003, the 'Centenary Medal' for service to the community, particularly the Aboriginal community.[1]

She received the Order of Australia award in 1993 in recognition of her work with Aboriginal people and community affairs. Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue_Gordon

Last edited by Skids on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:44 pm

How do you like DLitt from the same at DLitt from the same ?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Skids wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Born at Belele Station, near Meekatharra, Western Australia in 1944, she was separated from her mother and family at the age of four and raised at Sister Kate's home in Queens Park, Western Australia. After leaving school, she joined the army as a full-time soldier and between 1961 and 1964 was a full-time member of the Women's Royal Australian Army Corps (WRAAC) based mostly in the eastern states.

Following her army career she worked in various administrative positions around Australia and, in the early 1970s, started a long association with the Pilbara region, working mostly in Aboriginal Affairs with both urban and traditional people. She was awarded the National Aboriginal Overseas Study Award to study employment programs with a number of Native American communities in the United States in 1977

She was appointed as Commissioner for Aboriginal Planning in 1986, becoming the first Aboriginal person to head a government department in Western Australia,[1] and in 1988 was appointed as a magistrate in the Perth Children's Court, at which time she was the first full-time and first Aboriginal magistrate in the state's history.

In 1990, she was appointed as one of the first five commissioners of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission (ATSIC), for one year.

In 2002, she was appointed to head an inquiry into family violence and child abuse in Western Australian Aboriginal communities by the Premier of Western Australia, Geoff Gallop. The inquiry was known as the "Gordon Inquiry"[3] and resulted in the closure of the controversial Swan Valley Noongar Camp. The inquiry came about as a result of a November 2001 report by the State Coroner on the death of a teenage girl at the Swan Valley Camp. The coroner found that the girl had encountered "sexual violation, violence, and the ravages of alcohol and substance abuse. In desperation, and despite contact with several government agencies, she died in tragic circumstances at the age of 15." The report by the inquiry ran to over 640 pages and made 197 findings and recommendations.[4]

On 15 April 2004, Senator Amanda Vanstone, Minister for Indigenous Affairs appointed her as head of the new National Indigenous Council, an advisory body to the Federal Government, following the winding down of ATSIC.[5] Following her appointment, she was interviewed and asked for her views on the Stolen Generation, and whether she would seek an apology from Prime Minister, John Howard, to which she replied:

"No. I personally didn't want an apology because it should have gone to my mother. But my mother's passed away now, so it's too late. And what's an apology going to achieve now?"

Gordon has a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from the University of Western Australia and, in 2003, received an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Letters (Hon.DLitt) from the same university. Other awards include the 'Aboriginal Development Commission Australia Day Council Award' in 1986, the 'Paul Harris Fellow' from the Rotary Club of Perth in 1994 and, in 2003, the 'Centenary Medal' for service to the community, particularly the Aboriginal community.[1]

She received the Order of Australia award in 1993 in recognition of her work with Aboriginal people and community affairs. Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue_Gordon

None of which means that she speaks for indigenous people, still less that she has any useful contribution to make to any particular debate. She just happens to be indigenous and hold an opinion you agree with.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:03 pm

^ reads like an outstanding CV full of genuine experience and practical concern for present abuse, rather than Marxist posturing over history.

She sounds like an outstanding Australian, Skids. No wonder the urban Left hate her.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:07 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
[quote="Skids"][quote="Pies4shaw"]Or she is. Take your pick.[/quote]

She was appointed as [b]Commissioner for Aboriginal Planning in 1986[/b], becoming the first Aboriginal person to head a government department in Western Australia,[1] and in 1988 was appointed as a magistrate in the Perth Children's Court, at which time she was the first full-time and first Aboriginal magistrate in the state's history.

[b]In 1990, she was appointed as one of the first five commissioners of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission (ATSIC)[/b], for one year.

On 15 April 2004, Senator Amanda Vanstone, Minister for Indigenous Affairs appointed her as[b] head of the new National Indigenous Council[/b], an advisory body to the Federal Government, following the winding down of ATSIC.[5] Following her appointment, she was interviewed and asked for her views on the Stolen Generation, and whether she would seek an apology from Prime Minister, John Howard, to which she replied:

[b]"No. I personally didn't want an apology because it should have gone to my mother. But my mother's passed away now, so it's too late. And what's an apology going to achieve now?"[/b]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue_Gordon[/quote]
None of which means that she speaks for indigenous people, still less that she has any useful contribution to make to any particular debate. She just happens to be indigenous and hold an opinion you agree with.
Oops. Too much data.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:41 pm

Your ignorance is astounding P4S.
I happened to work with many of her descendants in my time (30 years) working throughout the state. She is held in high regard throughout the aboriginal (and white) community.

Her views coincide with that of many aboriginals that live in the real country that the drum beating lefties and coconuts have no idea about, yet seem to want to dictate about.

It really is mind boggling.

Last edited by Skids on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:43 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ reads like an outstanding CV full of genuine experience and practical concern for present abuse, rather than Marxist posturing over history.

She sounds like an outstanding Australian, Skids. No wonder the urban Left hate her.

Precisely!

The one's that continue to call aboriginals indigenous....

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:36 pm

Skids wrote:
I happened to work with many of her descendants in my time (30 years) working throughout the state. She is held in high regard throughout the aboriginal (and white) community.

Her views coincide with that of many aboriginals that live in the real country that the drum beating lefties and coconuts have no idea about, yet seem to want to dictate about.

Like most political wars, Indigenous affairs is largely about power, patronage and access to resources.

The vast public funding flows over 40 years ($30B per annum directed to 600,000 people, or $50k per capita, $200k pa for a family of four !) have clearly done little to improve the lives of aboriginal people who lack access to the right connections. See the history of ATSIC. People only tend to use money well when they have earned it.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:51 pm

I do agree that the left can be overly focused on symbolic progress at times, and that this is likely far from the most pressing issue confronting Indigenous Australians. But it does matter, nonetheless, and the Greens will again be on the right side of history on this one.

For those accusing them of not paying attention to more immediate issues, their platform is much more detailed. You can see a full list of the party’s Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander policies here:

https://greens.org.au/policies/aboriginal-torres-strait-islander-peoples

Here are a few examples of policy aims:

Quote:
6. Culturally appropriate, community controlled, and adequately resourced health, housing, infrastructure and legal services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

7. Increased resources in both community-controlled health services and mainstream health services and prioritisation of programs to improve Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander preventative health and children's health.

8. Family violence and abuse addressed through Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community initiatives and networks, alcohol and other substance abuse initiatives, Aboriginal Women's Legal Services, and safe houses.

9. Genuine opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment and enterprise development in remote, rural and urban communities; and an end to disempowering work for the dole measures.

10. Culturally appropriate education for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, which incorporates language and culture into curricula and supports families and children to engage with the education system.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:10 am

^ Are any of those policies fundamentally different to what is failing today ? There is a lot language about cultural appropriateness and indigenous control etc, and a worthy idea of "encouraging enterprise development" rather than work for the dole schemes. All fine words, but none of that seems likely to make much difference in reality. ATSIC had indigenous control and it was a grotesque disaster. Its replacement vowed to "devolve control more to local communities" in 2004 or so. It's hardly a new idea. And it has made no real difference.

I am not a deep expert in Aboriginal Australia's condition, but from the lay material I have read, it seems to stem from a complex of cultural and geographic issues ; isolated locations with limited economic opportunities, family breakdown and drugs and alcoholism, poor leadership which blames outsiders for problems that can only be cured by insiders, and very few role models in the private economy. Few of us could overcome these disadvantages, but they are not seriously discussed.

The figure of $200k pa of government money spent for a family of four is stark.

I know several people - friends and acquaintances - who work in indigenous affairs in Canberra or in Aboriginal charities. Their intentions are good, but they are simply not able to deliver real value for the wages they personally draw from the system because they are too involved in "advocacy" (oh God how much time they spend at conferences demanding more money !) and too little in real solutions on the ground. Several appeared in Europe last year at an "international indigenous conference" in Italy.

I like these folks, and they would be deeply hurt by the suggestion they are draining value, so we do not go there. But the system is broken and it needs really new thinking. I see little deviation from the failed policies of the past in the Greens' policy proposals quoted.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:46 am

I am likewise no expert (and if anyone has a magic bullet here, I’d be pleased to hear about it!). But the thing that seems clearest to me is that some level of autonomy is crucial. Many of the failures of the past have been a result of lack of respect or concern for the desires of Indigenous people, and a paradigm of imposing solutions from a distance, which have caused both genuine harm and a severe sentiment of disenfranchisement. This is something that seems to be now recognised right across the political spectrum: Malcolm Turnbull, for example, made a reasonably impressive speech soon after becoming prime minister in which he acknowledged failures of the past and spoke of the importance of “nothing about us without us”.

Ultimately, we can’t say that a community-led approach has failed when stuff like the NT Intervention (which, whatever its merits or necessities, has been perceived with a great deal of hostility and resentment by many Aboriginal Australians) is still so recent. And it’s easy to say things aren’t working when much of the progress from any of these initiatives can only ever be gradual and incremental, and not necessarily visible to those of us who aren’t on the ground. So, in that sense, I feel like the Greens are more or less spot on – the key question is how they would translate these sensible aims into workable policy, should they ever become a party of government.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:33 pm

David wrote:
...should they ever become a party of government.

Shocked God help us all
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:41 pm

They would be virtually indistinguishable from many social democratic governments of Europe, I suspect. But I fear we stray from the topic!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:37 pm

Skids wrote:

Does it matter whether she is "held in high regard" or otherwise? We're not trying to decide whether she should be given another honorary degree. Isn't it the merit of her opinion on this topic that is in issue?

Where is the "real country"? Is that the place where "the silent majority" all live?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8   

Jump to: