Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tom Lynch to Collingwood in 2019?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:18 pm
Post subject: Tom Lynch to Collingwood in 2019?Reply with quote

MAGPIES LAND BIG FREE AGENT

COLLINGWOOD was one of the quietest clubs during the 2017 AFL exchange period — and with good reason.

The Pies have been preparing a big play for soon-to-be free agent Tom Lynch — a player previously dubbed the best player in the game by Fox Footy analysts Jonathan Brown and Dermott Brereton. Lynch, contracted to Gold Coast until the end of 2018, was quizzed about his future on AFL 360 late last season — and was far from convincing when asked about his willingness to remain at the Suns.

The Magpies are one of three big Victorian clubs — the others being Richmond and Hawthorn — that’ll be trying to lure the superstar forward home over the coming months. But the Pies are the favourite to land him — and will land him.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/fox-footys-crystal-ball-18-fearless-predictions-for-the-2018-afl-season/news-story/a179cb1594ac740646a96298d60ac307?nk=911025fa563fdcb9bcf2fa2aab32dadd-1513671345

E 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he a restricted or unrestricted free agent?
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:48 am

Restricted.
themonk 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:46 am

If you believe the rumours that he's a pies fan and he wants to come home then we are the obvious choice.

If he's not a pies fan then one would think Richmond are frontrunners.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:01 am

DTM I hope these reports are right it would actually explain a fair bit about our inactivity this season.
The rumour mill up here is the Suns + AFL offer will be close to $2 million a season for 5 years. If it's money he's after he won't be going anywhere. If he wants to set himself up for life after football then the money will do that.
If he wants to be playing football in front of 70-80k every week at the home of football then he will come to Melbourne.
Don't discount the Hawks here if that's the case. They have the cap space to fit him in and he was very close to O'Meara they actually lived together for a couple years.
I doubt the Tigers will have the cap space to land him. They spent the family fortune on dusty last year and will have to upgrade several young players on the coming years.
We would make a logical choice for him as our midfield would be capable of feeding him loads of decent ball and coupled with Moore & Grundy they would be close o the best 3 young talls in the game.
Our age profile would be appealing for sure.
For mine it comes down to either money or finals footy.
If the Suns have as expected another terrible year then our chances rise. If we have a strong year making finals then those chances increase again probably making us near favourites.
There's a lot to play for this year on many levels.
I'm crossing my fingers for a Suns debacle year and pies stellar year
Daz 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:42 pm

themonk wrote:
If you believe the rumours that he's a pies fan and he wants to come home then we are the obvious choice.

If he's not a pies fan then one would think Richmond are frontrunners.

https://thewest.com.au/news/australia/dennis-cometti-lynch-values-gold-highly-ng-ya-113620

Quote:
'''''' Who did you barrack for as a kid?

I was a Collingwood supporter. My last game supporting them was the 2010 grand final replay. Then I quit while I was on top. I actually went to that game. Not too competitive but I really enjoyed it.

'''''' Who was your favourite player?

Nathan Buckley. I couldn’t go past him. I also enjoyed the big forwards like Rocca, Fraser and Tarrant.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:49 pm

Hmm, a season is a long time in footy.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Okay, let's pretend we get him. Is he worth the reported $1.3m/yr this would cost? Specifically, is he mobile enough for the way the game has been heading?? Thoughts, Nicksters?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:55 pm

Yes.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:06 pm

You have to put things into perspective. Pendles is our best player and he's not earning more than a million per year, so Lynch isn't worth a million per year.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:12 pm

We have a host of up and coming midfielders, such as Treloar, Adams, Sidey, De Goey and Maynard, who could replace Pendles (who I agree is our best player). However, a key dominant goal kicking power forward is irreplaceable. On that basis, Lynch would be well worth the money imo.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:17 pm

I haven't looked at data, but I just wonder about Lynch's mobility. Buddy, for example, simply cannot take a contested mark but that matters less now. And Buddy has mobility, which matters more now.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Is he worth it? He’s a freakin’ STAR. Straight as a die kick for goal too.

Pay him what he wants.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:56 pm

The game has changed enough that the days of 100 plus goal kickers are gone. Franklin and Kennedy are as good as ever but they now kick around 70 goals per season.
I wouldn't think Lynch would kick more than 60 goals a season ( which is still good value ) BUT I do think we would get extra value from the opposition players who would be drawn to his space.
I have no doubt he would be of real value to our second tall forward by opening up more space for whoever it is, to allow them to compete one on one.
I still think he needs a good season in 2018 to be justifying over a mill a year at any club.
Time will tell.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:21 pm

I'll start thinking about Lynch in october 2018. Way too much water to go under the bridge before then. Confused Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: