Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The end of the internet as we know it?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
I’d be more interested in finding out how many here haven’t participated in piracy in some way.

Well there was that one time several years ago after a few drinks.

Look, I was fine with having the parrot on the shoulder and wearing an eye patch, but I baulked at having a hand or foot cut off to be replaced with a hook or pegleg.

Wuss. Clearly we are dealing here with a man who cannot hold his liquor.

I hold her by the ears or hair. You? Confused

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:54 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
I’d be more interested in finding out how many here haven’t participated in piracy in some way.

Well there was that one time several years ago after a few drinks.

Look, I was fine with having the parrot on the shoulder and wearing an eye patch, but I baulked at having a hand or foot cut off to be replaced with a hook or pegleg.

Wuss. Clearly we are dealing here with a man who cannot hold his liquor.

I hold her by the ears or hair. You? Confused

She must be pleased you passed up the chance for the hook, then.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:37 am

Here’s an article that cuts through some of the rhetoric on both sides and looks at what the consequences are likely to be:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/12/net-neutrality-was-never-enough/548549/

Quote:
In truth, nobody yet knows how the net-neutrality rollback will affect anyone—consumers, telcos, big tech, or start-ups. Internet zealots warn of widespread blocking and throttling, not to mention pay-for-play fast lanes that might benefit big companies like Netflix and Google and prevent upstarts from enjoying innovation and growth. ISPs, aware of how hot the issue is, will likely take no immediate action.

When they do, it will probably come in a form invisible to consumers anyway. Pay-for-play deals with big providers might make some services load faster and others slower. Small delays can be fatal for adoption and continued use, and the costs of operating a new business in such an environment might make some start-ups inviable.

As I’ve argued before, progressive advocacy for net neutrality can’t credibly claim to be acting on behalf of consumers and small businesses when venture-backed technology start-ups are the main beneficiary. The dissenting statements of both Democratic FCC commissioners, Mignon Clyburn and Jessica Rosenworcel, give special mention to the “innovators” who might be harmed by dismantling net neutrality: big tech companies that might have to pay tariffs to telcos, or small tech companies that might struggle to do so. Bandwidth-heavy services would be most impacted—the “next Netflix,” as advocates often name it—but it’s not clear that the online-video market hasn’t been taken over by incumbents anyway, like search and social networking have.

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:54 am

David wrote:

I do it all the time.

I pay for Foxtel, Netflix, Stan and Hayu. For anything I can't watch same day as US, I download. Given an option to pay for them, I would. But if not, I don't feel bad about it at all about.

#SIDEBYSIDE
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:46 pm

Also with Massive Censorship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8pi6e5GLaQ

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:28 pm

mandy wrote:
David wrote:

I do it all the time.

I pay for Foxtel, Netflix, Stan and Hayu. For anything I can't watch same day as US, I download. Given an option to pay for them, I would. But if not, I don't feel bad about it at all about.

Agree with you Mandy; we are on the same page here, literally!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: