Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Finally, we appear to have depth!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:54 am
Post subject: Finally, we appear to have depth!Reply with quote

By my count, we now have 15 without question automatic selections (meaning if fit and healthy, they play).

Grundy, Moore, Reid, Scharenberg, WHE, Elliot, Faz, Howe, Pendles, Treloar, Adams, Sidey, DeGoey, Wells and Maynard.

I also think we have 11 others who have proven they are of AFL caliber.Note: Some of these players are considered by the CFC to be automatic selections, but i could argue they are not all automatic and a number of them wouldn't get a game if our entire team was fully fit.

Cox, Dunn, Langdon, Crisp, Goldsack, Thomas, Greenwood, Varcoe, Aish, Bromhead, Phillips.

Then we have a handful of players (8) who are young or haven't played for us yet (but you gotta believe that some of them are already AFL calibre and most of this list is likely to be AFL calibre):

Stephenson, McLarty, Murray, Murphy, C. Brown, Daicos, T. Brown, Kirby

Our back-up players that are unlikely to get games unless things are crook (or unless we see drastic improvement) are as follows (and is down to 6 guys plus rookies):

Blair, Smith, Crocker, Mayne, Sier, Wills (plus 4 rookies).

That is a pretty healthy list. Any chance we could keep our discussions this year focused on the performance of the first and second list and the development of the third list? Any chance at all that we could spend a little less time crapping on and losing our minds about players 35-44 on our list? i would say for sure that last year we spent 50% of our time talking about this later list.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

E—-Further to your post where or what deficiency from last seasons have potential to improve.

Forwards ❓
Backs❓
Mids❓
Rucks❓

Any opinions

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:56 am

I'll try not to exaggerate here, but I think about 2-3 years ago our list was a cot case, with players barely able to keep up the pace on an AFL field and others so deficient in basic kicking skills as to make them a liability playing in the VFL. It's ok to say let's concentrate on the 22 that take to the senior side but when you get hit with injuries you're forced to field players who wouldn't normally get a game in any AFL side. So the players between 35-44 on the list can't be ignored and ideally all the players between 35-44 are still teenagers who will improve over time and break into the senior side at some point. If the players at the bottom of the list are aged in their late 20's you should ask the question what are they still doing on the list.

Where I do agree with you E is that our list is a lot healthier now than what it was about 3 years ago. We have much better depth now, particularly in the midfield, but it's no secret we lack good quality KPP's apart from Moore and Reid. If we recruit Tom Lynch next year he fixes our forward line and if McLarty comes on as a player, he will improve our backline. The other big if is whether Murray can become that small rebounding defender that we lack. Fix those problems by 2018 and the rating of our list goes from a 7/10 to a 9/10 in my opinion.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:58 am

BazBoy wrote:
E—-Further to your post where or what deficiency from last seasons have potential to improve.

Forwards ❓
Backs❓
Mids❓
Rucks❓

Any opinions

Massive improvements in all departments since the start of 2017 to start of 2018.

Grundy will be one of the best 2 ruckman in the AFL in 2018. He wasnt in 2017.

Our forward line will have Elliot and DeGoey in it (which wasnt true in 2017). That alone made us look much better last season when they were both there. Faz should be happier than last season and Stephenson should give us great x-factor up there (and until he does, WHE will do it). Much improved! Moore will be more like Joe Daniher and Ben Brown next year than young Darcy. All of these things should make the foward line exponentially better

Down back, Langdon and Scharenberg will be the two best flankers in the league next year (in 2017, they were each a shadow of what they will be next year). McLarty might also deserve a spot in the team. Massive improvement on the defensive side.

Maynard and DeGoey joining the midfield will be huge. If Wells plays games, we will win all of them. That was true in only a few games last year. Accordingly, midfield MUCH better.

Remember that we crushed Melbourne in round 23. We ended the year a good side (maybe the best side outside the Cool. This year, we should be that good by round 1!

Finally, Blair and Smith probably wont be good enough to get games this year. According to many here, that alone will improve us.

BB, what do you think? The implication of your post (which i may be misreading) seems to be that you think nothing has changed. Was i reading you correctly?

Dont know how old you are, but in 1990, Collingwood went from good to great when the 1986/87 under 19 team that was so awesome, finally hit their peak. It feels like the same thing should happen this year to the likes of DeGoey, Moore, Grundy, Adams, Scharenberg, Aish, Broomhead, Crisp, Langdon, Maynard, WHE. A 20% improvement from these 11 payers will take us over the top n my opinion.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:03 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
I'll try not to exaggerate here, but I think about 2-3 years ago our list was a cot case, with players barely able to keep up the pace on an AFL field and others so deficient in basic kicking skills as to make them a liability playing in the VFL. It's ok to say let's concentrate on the 22 that take to the senior side but when you get hit with injuries you're forced to field players who wouldn't normally get a game in any AFL side. So the players between 35-44 on the list can't be ignored and ideally all the players between 35-44 are still teenagers who will improve over time and break into the senior side at some point. If the players at the bottom of the list are aged in their late 20's you should ask the question what are they still doing on the list.

Where I do agree with you E is that our list is a lot healthier now than what it was about 3 years ago. We have much better depth now, particularly in the midfield, but it's no secret we lack good quality KPP's apart from Moore and Reid. If we recruit Tom Lynch next year he fixes our forward line and if McLarty comes on as a player, he will improve our backline. The other big if is whether Murray can become that small rebounding defender that we lack. Fix those problems by 2018 and the rating of our list goes from a 7/10 to a 9/10 in my opinion.

i agree with this (and think you restrained yourself very well). A point of clarification however, is that the 6 players that you call the list cloggers (my last list) are actually in the 28-33 range (not 35-44). They are still better players than the kids (for now). i just rate them at the end of our list in terms of importance.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:16 am

E —yes and not meant to be indecisive (it did look like that)

Here are my opinions on backs—-I believe Langdon finally developed into a better decision maker and it makes his future (& ours) better
More game into Shaz and a pre season (injury free) feel he is on the cusp
McLarty based on his excellent VFL form (if it continues) further help
And Moore down back

Mark for defence from a 2017 *7 to 2018 *9

Mids with Maynard ,De Goey and say 15 games out of Wells

10 out of 10

Forwards is an area that need bigger improvements (accuracy) but with my feeling that ruck and forwards both 10 out of 10 getting the Sherrin in quick
Mason could take forwards up in improving plus Elliot (fit) and the young Daicos or Kirby consistency add more hope

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:16 am

E —yes and not meant to be indecisive (it did look like that)

Here are my opinions on backs—-I believe Langdon finally developed into a better decision maker and it makes his future (& ours) better
More game into Shaz and a pre season (injury free) feel he is on the cusp
McLarty based on his excellent VFL form (if it continues) further help
And Moore down back

10 out of 10

Forwards is an area that need bigger improvements (accuracy) but with my feeling that ruck and forwards both 10 out of 10 getting the Sherrin in quick
Mason could take forwards up in improving plus Elliot (fit) and the young Daicos or Kirby consistency add more hope

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:28 pm

Too fckn funny, haven't even played a game let alone won one in Season 2018. Rolling Eyes
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:53 pm

When we play well into season we can revisit our speculations
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:21 pm
Post subject: Re: Finally, we appear to have depth!Reply with quote

E wrote:
Finally, we appear to have depth!

Thumbs up from me, just for the tread title.

I think the club has done well to address our depth issues. Possibly with the exception of tall forwards.

Like others have stated, I guess we'll know more once the AFL and VFL seasons have kicked off.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:15 pm

Initium Novum
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:41 pm

We certainly have depth, we have more half back flankers than any two teams in the league combined.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:07 pm

BazBoy wrote:

10 out of 10

Golly, BB, you seem to have awarded three 10s and a 9...
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:15 pm

Way I see it
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:42 pm

E wrote:
BazBoy wrote:

Any opinions

Dont know how old you are, but in 1990, Collingwood went from good to great when the 1986/87 under 19 team that was so awesome, finally hit their peak.
It feels like the same thing should happen this year to the likes of DeGoey, Moore, Grundy, Adams, Scharenberg, Aish, Broomhead, Crisp, Langdon, Maynard, WHE. A 20% improvement from these 11 payers will take us over the top n my opinion.

E, I think a 20% improvement from ANY of these players is too optimistic.
All players across the AFL should be aiming for a 5% improvement each year, or chances are they are out the door by seasons end.
A 10% improvement from any of these players would probably exceed expectations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: