Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#41 Brody Mihocek

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy has been fantastic for us. Another player, like Sier, who has come in because of injuries and become a best 22 player.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:27 pm

Lots to love.

Plays the game as it should be played. Knuckles down and does what's needed without the histrionics.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:19 pm

He reminds me of most KPPs from the 70s. 192cm and you held down that position back then.
Not a lot of lateral movement or agility ( compared to the modern KPP )
Pretty much a mark and kick footballer but does it very well.

Holds his ground well in contests and a nice kicking action that gets it done.
Good from outside 50 too. Its a rare quality, so he doesnt need many chances to make an impression on the scoreboard.
Most important, he looks like he is enjoying the opportunity, so hopefully there is more improvement next year.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:20 pm

This is a fantastic story. The only downside I see is that he has clearly earned more than a minimum contract going forward and I doubt that budgeted for.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Leggie wrote:
tbaker wrote:
Yes, he was a hero in the end, but...he also cost us a goal when he tried to take that mark over a team mate and dropped it...

Let's burn him at the stake

Rolling Eyes

I wanted to strangle him when he missed two sitters straight in front when he ran right & hooked left and kicked behinds. He (fortunaley) made up for it.

jatsad 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:53 pm

He is an Earl Spalding clone.

That's what I thought when I first saw him play in the forward line.

tbaker 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:01 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Leggie wrote:
tbaker wrote:
Yes, he was a hero in the end, but...he also cost us a goal when he tried to take that mark over a team mate and dropped it...

Let's burn him at the stake

Rolling Eyes

I wanted to strangle him when he missed two sitters straight in front when he ran right & hooked left and kicked behinds. He (fortunaley) made up for it.

Yes, it wasn't all roses for him until late in the game when he delivered in spades...as they say: all's well that ends well

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:59 pm

Article from back in July.

Quote:
BRODY Mihoceks father Jack had a question for the Collingwood forward in the rooms following his impressive four-goal haul against North Melbourne last week.

Given the Kangaroos high number of blood rule send-offs, Jack joked to his son: Brodes, did you get one of them? to which the 25-year-old confessed to have been accidentally responsible for Luke McDonald coming off.

I said, Mate, thats good, at least you got one of them, Jack Mihocek said this week from the Burnie sports store, Balls and Bumpers, which he and wife Jan run.

Anyone who knows Brodys feisty father wouldnt be surprised.

Forty years ago, he was, in Brodys words, a red-headed w0g who used to belt people up. Jack laughs at his sons assessment, admitting he had to give up soccer at 16 after being suspended for two years. As a consequence, this kid from Zagreb, in Croatia, who came to Australia when he was nine, took on the national game.

He played 13 games with Essendon from 1976-78, before making an impression literally with Frankston in the VFA and elsewhere.

Jack was physically tough. But he swears his sons toughness is more admirable, not only because he plays hard and fair, but due to Brodys persistence in pursuing a childhood dream into his mid-20s when others may have given up, or chased cash in suburban leagues.

In an AFL season bogged down in controversy about the state of the game, Brody Mihocek is one of the feel-good yarns of the year.

The purity of someone so determined to play AFL and so single-minded in the belief he was good enough makes for a refreshing change to all that negativity.

It has been a blast, the quiet, but determined Mihocek said as he prepared for his eighth game, todays Collingwood-Richmond blockbuster.

On the outside, you see players going into the system and getting kicked out a few years later, wondering what happened with their two years. I knew going in that I needed to make the most of every opportunity.

He has grasped that long-awaited chance with the firmness of a vice.

Mihoceks pathway from Cooee, near Burnie, in Tasmania, to Collingwood ultimately took seven years.

In between he balanced a move to Melbourne as a 20-year-old with full-time employment in trying to fund his ambition, yet never lost faith in his ability.

That journey took him from Burnie Hawks, to Maribyrnong Park, to a short stint training with Essendon reserves, to Werribee, then to two high-achieving seasons with Port Melbourne, where he worked closely with coach Gary Ayres and defensive coach Ryan James.

Having spoken to half the AFL clubs leading into the 2011 national draft, after being the All-Australian Under 18s centre half-back, his phone dried up until the Magpies finally rang him late last year to say they were interested in rookie-listing him.

Back then, he was a warehouseman/forklift driver at George Fethers and Co in Port Melbourne, rushing off to the gym at 5.30am before working a full day, then heading off to training with Borough at night.

Now, he has become an important member of Collingwoods multi-pronged forward line, having kicked a goal in every game he has played, being used in attack, despite being recruited as a defender.

I am only a rookie; all I ever wanted was a chance, he said. Even when I was 18, all I ever wanted was a taste of it, but now that Ive had it I want more.

I am still a week-to-week player I have still got a lot more to prove before I can cement my spot.

Everyone has said that the injuries at Collingwood have hurt, but it has helped players get a chance. It is good that people are fighting for their spots.

Ill be fighting for mine.

He kicked four in his debut match against Fremantle in Round 11 which brought a tear to his fathers eye and four more last weekend.

Thats the aim, to keep the run going, he said of his streak of goals.

Its been a big learning curve, but Ive felt comfortable from day one. I always thought I was good enough, it was just about getting the opportunity to show it.

His biggest challenge came against West Coasts Jeremy McGovern. While Mihocek kicked two goals and had 15 disposals, his Eagles opponent was best afield.

We sort of said that we would kick it away from him, but we didnt, Mihocek said of McGovern. It made me play a bit more on him. I still had my fair share of kicks at goal, and I felt I went all right for my sixth game of AFL footy.

I lost a few one-on-ones, but when I play on him again, hopefully it will be a different story.

He wont be fazed if Saturdays opponent is Alex Rance.

Even if Rance shuts me out, it might mean another of our forwards kicking goals. It might be Stevo (Jaidyn Stephenson) or Will (Hoskin-Elliott), or Coxy (Mason Cox). We are a tough forward line to contain and we pride ourselves on that.

Rookies earn a minimum of $71,500, but the bonus match payments means he is earning more than he did as a warehouseman last year.

But he isnt getting carried away. He is playing without the safety net of a guaranteed contract next year.

Im not even worrying about whats ahead, he said. I am putting everything into now.

His father, who has almost sold out of Brody badges in his sports store given the local interest in Burnie, is hopeful a guarantee isnt far away.

I said to Eddie McGuire, Everyone is re-signing with Collingwood, dont leave Brody behind. (Contracts) are not his area, but he did say the club will look after him.

Given Brodys form, and his dads former reputation, youd be stunned if it was otherwise.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/collingwood/collingwood-matureage-recruit-brody-mihocek-opens-up-on-his-sevenyear-journey-to-the-afl/news-story/19c7994360ffd10d6740afea36fd7b5c

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:45 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
He reminds me of most KPPs from the 70s. 192cm and you held down that position back then.
Not a lot of lateral movement or agility ( compared to the modern KPP )
Pretty much a mark and kick footballer but does it very well.

Holds his ground well in contests and a nice kicking action that gets it done.
Good from outside 50 too. Its a rare quality, so he doesnt need many chances to make an impression on the scoreboard.
Most important, he looks like he is enjoying the opportunity, so hopefully there is more improvement next year.

Alan Martello reincarnated

K 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:27 pm

[Also see previous thread: http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=83984 ]
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:50 pm

Probably would never have got his shot if not for injuries. Now hes one of our MOST important players. 23 goals is quite a season. Could be a major player come finals. What a story. Hats off to ya Chequers.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:11 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
This is a fantastic story. The only downside I see is that he has clearly earned more than a minimum contract going forward and I doubt that budgeted for.

Yes but many others on performance based KPI's would not have hit through injury so its swings and roundabouts...........

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:25 pm

MJ23 wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

Yes but many others on performance based KPI's would not have hit through injury so its swings and roundabouts...........

Im talking about base salary. Everyone gets match payments on top of the salary. True performance-based contracts are unlikely to exist because they make managing TPP under the cap nigh on impossible.

Number 35 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:10 pm

23 goals 12 from 12 games.

Only game he didnt kick at least a goal was against Sydney when he got pulled to defense

Who are they watching out for now, Cox or Checkers?

Checkmate

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:24 pm

Stood up when it counted in the last quarter and it's great to see a player who has worked hard to earn his AFL opportunity be rewarded for it by playing some excellent football.

He's living his dream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 11 of 19   

Jump to: