Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#41 Brody Mihocek

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Well sorry for being impressed with the bloke.

I think there's many more chapters for Mihoceks book to come.
Sure, he may not trouble the scorer as much as he did on debut, but you know he's going to be; having a red hot go, is a good size and for mine, knows how to read the play fairly well.
I think his long apprenticeship has served him well.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:56 pm

I'm certainly not getting carried away. As I've said previously, only time will tell if he has what it takes to become a regular senior player. However, if you can't be encouraged by a 4 goal debut - junk goals (???) or not - then it's time to look for other things in life to be interested in.

He has also been regularly one of our best in the VFL, so he was selected on the back of good form. Finally, he is one of the few players on our list who is seriously strong in holding his ground and who has good hands, and is a good kick.

Ultimately, however, I think what he does is 'play his role' and helps provide structure for our forward line. Given the injury proneness of Reid, I'm glad we've got him on our list.
E 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:58 pm

Skids wrote:
Confused

Sure, he may not trouble the scorer as much as he did on debut, but you know he's going to be; having a red hot go, is a good size and for mine, knows how to read the play fairly well.

The qualities you are describing are the Big man version of Blair.

I think its funny that Blair is pilloried for these qualities and Mihocek is praised. I wonder why that is. I guess it comes down to whether those qualities have come up short against good opposition and this hasnt happened to him yet...

E 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:59 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I'm certainly not getting carried away. As I've said previously, only time will tell if he has what it takes to become a regular senior player. However, if you can't be encouraged by a 4 goal debut - junk goals (???) or not - then it's time to look for other things in life to be interested in.

He has also been regularly one of our best in the VFL, so he was selected on the back of good form. Finally, he is one of the few players on our list who is seriously strong in holding his ground and who has good hands, and is a good kick.

Ultimately, however, I think what he does is 'play his role' and helps provide structure for our forward line. Given the injury proneness of Reid, I'm glad we've got him on our list.

another email that could be titled "In Defense of the big man version of Jarryd Blair!"

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:13 pm

E wrote:
Skids wrote:
Confused

The qualities you are describing are the Big man version of Blair.

I think its funny that Blair is pilloried for these qualities and Mihocek is praised. I wonder why that is. I guess it comes down to whether those qualities have come up short against good opposition and this hasnt happened to him yet...

Talking to you is like talking to my ex misus.

Blair was the last thing on my mind.... and, as far from the man in question, as you are from Zaltar!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:07 pm

He followed up with a serviceable game today. Apart from bringing some much needed physicality - built like a brick shizenhousen actually - he uses the ball well, and is a great kick. He kicked a nice set shot himself, but helped get another couple with great kicks to advantage. Atm, I prefer him to the forever broken down Reid.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:38 pm

This guy will be able to fill any spot on our spine atm if required. A great utility to have on the list.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:04 am

Damien wrote:
This guy will be able to fill any spot on our spine atm if required. A great utility to have on the list.

That goal he kicked under pressure at 3 qtr time showed the type of player he is under pressure: cool, calm and composed. He has a bit of grunt about him but needs to work on stamina, speed and endurance I reckon. Certainly looks to be a role type player who is capable of going forward and creating a scoring option. Should get better with time.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:31 am

RudeBoy wrote:
He followed up with a serviceable game today. Apart from bringing some much needed physicality - built like a brick shizenhousen actually - he uses the ball well, and is a great kick. He kicked a nice set shot himself, but helped get another couple with great kicks to advantage. Atm, I prefer him to the forever broken down Reid.

Reckon Reid must be seeing the writing on the wall after today....

E 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:41 am

RudeBoy wrote:

All good points. A friend of mine asked the very valid question - can we afford to go into a big game with any of Wells, Varcoe or Reid given their propensity to break down?

If Cox can be the type of player he was today, then Mihocek (playing the Leigh Brown forward role) is more valuable than Reid. If Cox cant be a reliable target, then Reid becomes more valuable for his lead up work.

Seriously, Cox was incredible today. I would never in a million years ever thought a yank could play AFL footy the way he has proven to be able to play it. It seems that you don't need to grow up playing footy in order to develop a feel for the game. It never used to be the case, but now that every sport is converging with the same tactics (AFL, basketball, soccer, hockey, etc), maybe that ability to know where the ball is going to be is no longer a unique AFL thing anymore.

Cox was as much a beast today as Cloke and Ant Rocca were in their prime and as such it doesn't really matter who the second tall is as long as they play a role and aren't a liability defensively. Mihocek meets this minimum bar.

Mind you, his position is still one of the 4 players who played today where I feel we could improve.

The other three were Daicos, Greenwood and Wells.

Seriously, the other 18 are premiership caliber!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:32 am

^

Good post, E. Hine is on record as saying that MasonCox was his most important recruit, and I think we are staring to see what he meant.

Greenwood didn’t get a heap of it but I suspect his job was to make sure that melksham didnt either : and if so, he succeeded. It is very hard to evaluate “ role players” without knowing the role assigned to them.

lanstro 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:20 pm

Mihocek did alright yesterday, I was a bit too critical of him in the match thread. If his poster in the first quarter had gone through I'd have rated it a solid game. He's a good size, seems to have a good kick and has composure.

Looked a little lost in the second when he got caught in the forward 50, but I'll put that down to a long-time VFL player getting used to AFL pace. I don't think we'll be seeing a mistake like that again.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:41 pm

without being at the game, he is quicker than I thought he'd be and seemed to cover a lot of the ground. Id suggest he was playing deliberately high to keep the "one out" set-up for either the resting mids, Jayden or Cox. Often the player for us in this role is too close and allows their player to zone of to create a 2 on one.
I think he looks comfortable at the level.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:19 am

Had to go a long way back to find a thread about Chequers. This guy is a beast. With the horror injury run we’ve had he is now one of our MOST important players. Three goals again tonight. This guy must be pinching himself everyday. Playing fullback in the VFL last year and now is gunna play as a key forward in the AFL finals. How a talent like this wasn’t playing AFL beggars belief. Just shows how much mature age talent must be lurking out there in the state leagues. Just gives you an honest contest every time the ball comes his way and his kicking is a weapon. I love having him out there in the black n white.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:26 am

Great bump. I was looking for the same thread. he was excellent tonight. He's a hell of a good footballer. Strong overhead, cool with ball in hand, accurate kick. He did a lot of damage when we needed to. He is indeed now one of our most important players. When ben Reid went down, I didn't imagine that we had a very similar style of player waiting to step up and do better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 8 of 19   

Jump to: