Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2017 National Draft Summary

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched hi lights of Stephenson and Murphy and both looked OK

Big leap to AFL and Stephenson kicked swag of goals in the footage

Made me think on another recruit who came to us after a 10 goal haul
in GF —-our man of Steele

Mids yep backs yep but failure in front of goal last few seasons have hurt as much as leaked goals by opponents

BazBoy 

Mids yep backs yep but failure in front of goal last few seasons have hurt as much as leaked goals by opponents

BazBoy 

BazBoy 

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:36 am

I get people's angst by not finding that elusive KPP but really the tall types are a real gamble. Of those taken in this years draft none are out and out stars at junior level. There all likely types and may make it big but really it's a huge gamble on all of them
Yes it's a gamble with all players but they likelyhood of hitting a good long term player as a mid sized or mid is far more likely than a KPP.
Stephenson fits a few bills for us especially line breaking speed.
Let's not forget there's still the rookie draft with a couple of talls available who are still young and might be worth a punt (Michael Close comes to mind)
The 2018 draft is apparently full of really good talls so saving that spot for then isn't the end of the world.
Let's not forget that we've been linked to Lynch plus GWS have 2 academy kids next year who are both around 200cm so either one of those or a current tall on there list would be up for grabs given list balance and salary cap
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:03 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
^^Our two tall defenders will be McLarty and Moore. That's enough. Backups will be found anywhere as they always are.

Alternatively we play one genuine key back and fill the rest of the positions with ~190cm players of which we have plenty. Chances are this would work better in the modern game anyway, where a player's ability to move and intercept is far more important than body on body work - so little of it and less and less as games get bigger, peak pointlessness coming in the Grand Final.

The game has changed. AFL quality utility players are far better at holding down a key post than players who are only picked for their height. Those days are gone, a tall actually has to be able to play to get on the field, or even on a list nowadays. That's why we saw so few taken early in this draft.

It's a huge relief that we didn't fall into old habits of thinking we had to go tall and drafting players who would never be anything. The talls available at 39 and later were far worse than what we got.

While I'm a little worried about our lack of tall defenders, it wasn't the defence that let us down this season. It was our inability to convert on the forward line that prevented us making the finals. Stephenson should get plenty of game time next year and it's his ability to break lines and kick em through the big sticks that will make him so valuable. Murphy, while a bit raw, has plenty of upside as a marking forward and could fulfill the Gunston role as our third tall forward, or fill a role in defence if required.

I still think McLarty is more than a year away from breaking into the senior side. Moore can cover at CHB as needed. Dunn gets first call on the opposition's best tall forward. Howe has the Maxwell role. We play our tall utilities in Crisp and Scharenberg on the half back line. Maynard moves into the midfield and our Sydney recruit offers us speed from half back if it works out.

We need a couple more KPP's to provide us cover on our list. That's now 12 months away.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:06 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Let's not forget that we've been linked to Lynch plus GWS have 2 academy kids next year who are both around 200cm so either one of those or a current tall on there list would be up for grabs given list balance and salary cap

Who are these?
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:57 am

Interesting to see that Fogarty didn't go until pick 12, so we weren't the only ones who didn't rate him as a top 10 prospect.
He may yet go onto be the best player from this draft but then once again, it doesn't just become Collingwoods error for not getting it right.
The Dockers should know Naughton better than anyone and they didn't pick him at five when they had the chance ( and it's not like they don't need KPPs either )
I agree with " Inkling ^^^" , there isn't much point in picking talls if you're not convinced they're good enough in the first place. At least if you do have a surplus of mids, you can shop them around at some point and get some R O I down the track.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:13 am

Pies2016 wrote:
Interesting to see that Fogarty didn't go until pick 12, so we weren't the only ones who didn't rate him as a top 10 prospect.
He may yet go onto be the best player from this draft but then once again, it doesn't just become Collingwoods error for not getting it right.
The Dockers should know Naughton better than anyone and they didn't pick him at five when they had the chance ( and it's not like they don't need KPPs either )
I agree with " Inkling ^^^" , there isn't much point in picking talls if you're not convinced they're good enough in the first place. At least if you do have a surplus of mids, you can shop them around at some point and get some R O I down the track.

Freemantle were desperate for midfielders after they lost Weller so no surprise they didn't draft Naughton. The WB have a good player in Naughton. Adelaide drafted well in getting Darcy Fogarty. We should be happy with Stephenson. As I see it most clubs last night would be very happy with their selections. This draft will take 3-5 years to play out before anyone can tell who the victors were last night.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:43 am

This draft was touted as the most even ever so it seems every club got a steal at some stage. How much of a steal remains to be seen. Sounds like next year is the big draft and will be a more important one in the long term. Sounds like the Tigers got exactly what they wanted.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:55 am

Foxtel Draft Coverage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZonHpJhur8

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:31 am

Damien wrote:
This draft was touted as the most even ever so it seems every club got a steal at some stage. How much of a steal remains to be seen. Sounds like next year is the big draft and will be a more important one in the long term. Sounds like the Tigers got exactly what they wanted.

I think that's the politically correct version for a poor talent pool.
I read yesterday that a number of recruiters declared there were only around 40 odd players who they are comfortable with drafting.
It will be interesting to look back on this draft in 4 / 5 years time.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:39 pm

People do realise we walked away with two top 10 selections based on how Hine rated the talent available?

Brett Anderson reporting today that if Stephenson hadn't received medical clearance in the final 24-36hrs we were going to pick Murphy at 6.

With this draft I have the same sense of excitement that I felt after we secured Sidebottom and Beams.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:10 pm

swoop42 wrote:
People do realise we walked away with two top 10 selections based on how Hine rated the talent available?

Brett Anderson reporting today that if Stephenson hadn't received medical clearance in the final 24-36hrs we were going to pick Murphy at 6.

With this draft I have the same sense of excitement that I felt after we secured Sidebottom and Beams.

Yeah. Murphy and Beams where Simmlar. Top 10 Prospect that we had get us to our 2nd Pick Exclamation Very Happy

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:17 pm

Boy oh boy, I reckon we've added some real speed to our list.

A team with Sam Murray and Nathan Murphy running off half back, linking up with speedster wingers Will Hostin-Elliott and Jayden Stephenson, will significantly improve our team. Add Wells, Varcoe and Treloar speeding through the middle, all of a sudden we should be able to deliver the ball quicker and better towards our forwards. Exciting times ahead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: