Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 
Log inLog in RegisterRegister
 
Welcome to Collingwood, Nathan Murphy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion
 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
K 



Joined: 09 Sep 2011


PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
Now that we recruited him, I've had the chance to speak to a couple of Dragons mates and they have added a bit to his story.
Apparently he carried an ankle injury and concussion into the combine and some were recommending that he shouldn't do the combine because he was always going to be drafted anyway.
There was a concern his combine results would only diminish his " package ". He chose to attend and took his chances and the results are there for all to see. I'm now only guessing here but I would suggest that he wasn't at 100% during the Combine.
The other thing that is very relevant is that he is very young in this draft.
Stephenson is 11 months older than him. His upside is considerable.
I feel confident, as long as he applies himself, we have picked up a real bargain.


This is exciting news, P16. Maybe we only were able to get him because of his injury-impaired Combine results scaring off other clubs.
Is his kicking excellent? Can he use both feet? One of his passes in the video highlights seemed exquisite.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
E 



Joined: 05 May 2010


PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
E wrote:
K wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Brett Anderson says we would taken Murphy IF Stephenson Failed his Medical Tests and Board did not Approve the Pick

https://twitter.com/BAndersonSEN/status/934193933961150469


If BA is correct, then we can think of Stephenson as being equivalent to our pick 39, which eases the pressure surrounding his selection a lot.
...
Fate seems to have made them interchangeable.


and that is precisely what the club WANTS you to think in the highly unlikely event, the heart issue becomes a problem.

If collingwood took Murphy at 6 when we could have gotten him at 39, then irrespective of our eye for talent, our drafting strategy would be so appalling that they all should be fired.

i dont like what they are saying about Murphy and 6. It makes me think they took a bigger gamble on stephenson than the facts suggest. otherwise why the need to go out with all of this con job bullshit to suck in the gullable fans.


I take it you disliked the club's drafting decisions.

Your second sentence makes sense only if it was reasonable for them to foresee that he'd be available at 39. I doubt it was. It was a surprise to many. And even without major surprises, how can anyone accurately predict the selections of two whole rounds?

As for the con job conspiracy theory... Well, it's possible, but it'd have taken some effort. According to the conspiracy theory, they must have decided to make it more convincing by not putting it out there directly themselves, but instead by persuading BA et al. in the media that it's true. I think BA was emphatic in his belief.

Re. Stephenson, well, see discussion elsewhere on this forum.


nope, i was super happy with the draft. Think we got two players that are perfect for where our list is at right now.

needed x-factor - got it. Stephenson is a beauty (and well worth what seems only a small risk).

Murphy could be anything. I love elite multi sport athletes. I believe they are just winners. think Pendles.

Despite being super happy, i'm still calling bullshit on them claiming they would have gone Murphy at pick 6.

_________________
The above reflects the opinions of the author and should not be considered a direct attack against you. It just means that in my opinion, you are wrong!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
K 



Joined: 09 Sep 2011


PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

E wrote:
K wrote:
E wrote:
K wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Brett Anderson says we would taken Murphy IF Stephenson Failed his Medical Tests and Board did not Approve the Pick

https://twitter.com/BAndersonSEN/status/934193933961150469


If BA is correct, then we can think of Stephenson as being equivalent to our pick 39, which eases the pressure surrounding his selection a lot.
...


and that is precisely what the club WANTS you to think in the highly unlikely event, the heart issue becomes a problem.

If collingwood took Murphy at 6 when we could have gotten him at 39, then irrespective of our eye for talent, our drafting strategy would be so appalling that they all should be fired.

i dont like what they are saying about Murphy and 6. It makes me think they took a bigger gamble on stephenson than the facts suggest. otherwise why the need to go out with all of this con job bullshit to suck in the gullable fans.


I take it you disliked the club's drafting decisions.

Your second sentence makes sense only if it was reasonable for them to foresee that he'd be available at 39. I doubt it was. It was a surprise to many. And even without major surprises, how can anyone accurately predict the selections of two whole rounds?

As for the con job conspiracy theory... Well, it's possible, but it'd have taken some effort. According to the conspiracy theory, they must have decided to make it more convincing by not putting it out there directly themselves, but instead by persuading BA et al. in the media that it's true. I think BA was emphatic in his belief.
...


nope, i was super happy with the draft. Think we got two players that are perfect for where our list is at right now.
...

Despite being super happy, i'm still calling bullshit on them claiming they would have gone Murphy at pick 6.


Okay, E. But another hint it may be true is that Murphy was there at all and was the last one present to be picked. People have been suggesting each top-10-pick club was able to nominate two players for the AFL to invite to be there. It does seem that maybe CFC nominated JS and him.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
E 



Joined: 05 May 2010


PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:59 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
E wrote:
K wrote:
E wrote:
K wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Brett Anderson says we would taken Murphy IF Stephenson Failed his Medical Tests and Board did not Approve the Pick

https://twitter.com/BAndersonSEN/status/934193933961150469


If BA is correct, then we can think of Stephenson as being equivalent to our pick 39, which eases the pressure surrounding his selection a lot.
...


and that is precisely what the club WANTS you to think in the highly unlikely event, the heart issue becomes a problem.

If collingwood took Murphy at 6 when we could have gotten him at 39, then irrespective of our eye for talent, our drafting strategy would be so appalling that they all should be fired.

i dont like what they are saying about Murphy and 6. It makes me think they took a bigger gamble on stephenson than the facts suggest. otherwise why the need to go out with all of this con job bullshit to suck in the gullable fans.


I take it you disliked the club's drafting decisions.

Your second sentence makes sense only if it was reasonable for them to foresee that he'd be available at 39. I doubt it was. It was a surprise to many. And even without major surprises, how can anyone accurately predict the selections of two whole rounds?

As for the con job conspiracy theory... Well, it's possible, but it'd have taken some effort. According to the conspiracy theory, they must have decided to make it more convincing by not putting it out there directly themselves, but instead by persuading BA et al. in the media that it's true. I think BA was emphatic in his belief.
...


nope, i was super happy with the draft. Think we got two players that are perfect for where our list is at right now.
...

Despite being super happy, i'm still calling bullshit on them claiming they would have gone Murphy at pick 6.


Okay, E. But another hint it may be true is that Murphy was there at all and was the last one present to be picked. People have been suggesting each top-10-pick club was able to nominate two players for the AFL to invite to be there. It does seem that maybe CFC nominated JS and him.


If it is true, people should be fired for considering wasting a first round draft pick on someone you can get in the third round. It doesn't even matter if this kid Murphy turns out to be the best player in the draft. The level of ineptitude required to misread the draft so badly and forego the chance to get another A grader (at 6) PLUS him (at 39) would have been a catastrophic mistake. I dont believe the Collingwood recruiting department is that stupid!

On the other hand, i believe that they are smart enough to understand that if Stephenson turns out to be a bust due to his heart condition, it would be a VERY good idea to lay the groundwork for getting us to forgive them by putting on the record that we still got our guy........

_________________
The above reflects the opinions of the author and should not be considered a direct attack against you. It just means that in my opinion, you are wrong!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
RudeBoy 



Joined: 28 Nov 2005


PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't we just be happy we got this kid and welcome him to Collingwood and wish him well? Confused
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
ad4eva Pisces

Skipper in the wings


Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Location: The 'G'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Can't we just be happy we got this kid and welcome him to Collingwood and wish him well? Confused


Pick 6 or not, this kid was projected to go in the teens and we landed him at 39 which is exciting for the club, especially since we didn't have a genuine 2nd round selection in this draft.

With Sharenberg, Maynard, Howe, Langdon, Goldsack and Josh Smith all vying for a similar spot (give or tack some positional tactics to any of the above), I cant see Murphy being required too early in the piece but he certainly appears to have the tools to develop over the next 18 months.

_________________
NicksBB Member #2128
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
daicos from the boundry 



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Location: 6ft under

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím with a few on here. I donít believe the recruiting dept rank him 7th best (at worst) player in the draft. Thatís assuming that the top 5 that went were their top 5. Could be higher. Love his kicking as he lows his eyes to hit the right target. Kicks it low and hard and straight. Good pick at 39. Donít know if I would have liked him picked at 6 with not a lot of TAC footy and under aged. This is the reason he lasted at 39. To many unknowns.
_________________
Utter B@stards
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Dave The Man Scorpio



Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Location: Someville, Victoria, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

So we rated him as the 6th best Talent in the Draft

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2016-12-01/the-grind-ep3-dreams-realised

_________________
I am Da Man
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
E 



Joined: 05 May 2010


PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:41 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
So we rated him as the 6th best Talent in the Draft

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2016-12-01/the-grind-ep3-dreams-realised


no, that is just the story we are running with so that Collingwood fans will stupidly believe we did great at the draft (even if Stephenson has a heart attack during round 1 next season).

Look its really smart by Collingwood and it seems to be working with all of you guys (proving that the tactic works). But its complete bullshit.

_________________
The above reflects the opinions of the author and should not be considered a direct attack against you. It just means that in my opinion, you are wrong!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
K 



Joined: 09 Sep 2011


PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:41 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

E wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
So we rated him as the 6th best Talent in the Draft

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2016-12-01/the-grind-ep3-dreams-realised


no, that is just the story we are running with so that Collingwood fans will stupidly believe we did great at the draft (even if Stephenson has a heart attack during round 1 next season).

Look its really smart by Collingwood and it seems to be working with all of you guys (proving that the tactic works). But its complete bullshit.


Well, E, I don't think it affects the Club too much whether people do or do not believe their claim. But it would be more than a little odd for them to put that much effort into a conspiracy: duping a journalist so that he puts out the claim, (probably) inviting the kid (via the AFL) to attend the draft, having Eddie tell the kid himself that we rated him 6 in the obligatory phone call, ...

As for your rumblings about firing people, well, as you know, there are some shuffling of roles, though not outright firings, that are now taking place.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Dave The Man Scorpio



Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Location: Someville, Victoria, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

E wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
So we rated him as the 6th best Talent in the Draft

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2016-12-01/the-grind-ep3-dreams-realised


no, that is just the story we are running with so that Collingwood fans will stupidly believe we did great at the draft (even if Stephenson has a heart attack during round 1 next season).

Look its really smart by Collingwood and it seems to be working with all of you guys (proving that the tactic works). But its complete bullshit.


Guess you never Watched the Video Then Rolling Eyes

_________________
I am Da Man
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
E 



Joined: 05 May 2010


PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
E wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
So we rated him as the 6th best Talent in the Draft

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2016-12-01/the-grind-ep3-dreams-realised


no, that is just the story we are running with so that Collingwood fans will stupidly believe we did great at the draft (even if Stephenson has a heart attack during round 1 next season).

Look its really smart by Collingwood and it seems to be working with all of you guys (proving that the tactic works). But its complete bullshit.


Guess you never Watched the Video Then Rolling Eyes


I did. i love propaganda pieces and the Grind is one of those shows where you come away thinking EVERY single player is determined to deliver a flag, every player is working harder than ever before and there is total unity at the club. Its awesome (especially since there are currently no games to prove these theories one way or the other).

And a brief note to others.

1. How hard is it to say "we rated him highly and would have taken him at 6 if Stephenson wasn't available"...... you make it sound like that would take a lot of effort.

2. To people who say we are lucky that player A slipped down to us because we didnt have a second rounder, ponder this. It is guys like Pendlebury who actually go higher than everyone thought that often turn out to be the stars and there is often a reason why players slip that makes us all realize why they slipped years down the road. I'm not saying that Murphy cant be the next Dayne Beams, but its no certainty (and its not MORE OR LESS likely to happen because he was highly rated on draft day by some) ...

_________________
The above reflects the opinions of the author and should not be considered a direct attack against you. It just means that in my opinion, you are wrong!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
K 



Joined: 09 Sep 2011


PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

E wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
E wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
So we rated him as the 6th best Talent in the Draft...

no, that is just the story we are running with ... But its complete bullshit.

Guess you never Watched the Video Then Rolling Eyes

I did. i love propaganda pieces...

And a brief note to others.
1. How hard is it to say "we rated him highly and would have taken him at 6 if Stephenson wasn't available"...... you make it sound like that would take a lot of effort.

...


It's not "hard" in the sense of requiring enormous skill or stamina or financial resources. It's just very odd, in the sense of "Who could be bothered to do all of that for no good reason?" And it's "hard" in the sense that one might not naturally be inclined to tell a huge lie as one of the first things you say to your new recruit... It's not just nameless people saying this to nameless other people, you know; the president said it to NM himself.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
E 



Joined: 05 May 2010


PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:41 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
E wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
E wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
So we rated him as the 6th best Talent in the Draft...

no, that is just the story we are running with ... But its complete bullshit.

Guess you never Watched the Video Then Rolling Eyes

I did. i love propaganda pieces...

And a brief note to others.
1. How hard is it to say "we rated him highly and would have taken him at 6 if Stephenson wasn't available"...... you make it sound like that would take a lot of effort.

...


It's not "hard" in the sense of requiring enormous skill or stamina or financial resources. It's just very odd, in the sense of "Who could be bothered to do all of that for no good reason?" And it's "hard" in the sense that one might not naturally be inclined to tell a huge lie as one of the first things you say to your new recruit... It's not just nameless people saying this to nameless other people, you know; the president said it to NM himself.


There you go again. All that work! Its just feeding a line to reporters (which they will jump on). The idea that a football club WOULDN'T do that beggars belief.

We did an entire club review to provide cover for the reappointment of Nathan Buckley. I find it odd that you don'[t consider that PR exercise too much work. And yet, the recruiting team dropping a little morsel for the hungry press to pick up is "too much effort". Naive.

_________________
The above reflects the opinions of the author and should not be considered a direct attack against you. It just means that in my opinion, you are wrong!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
K 



Joined: 09 Sep 2011


PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:57 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

E wrote:
K wrote:
E wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
E wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
So we rated him as the 6th best Talent in the Draft...

no, that is just the story we are running with ... But its complete bullshit.

Guess you never Watched the Video Then Rolling Eyes

I did. i love propaganda pieces...

And a brief note to others.
1. How hard is it to say "we rated him highly and would have taken him at 6 if Stephenson wasn't available"...... you make it sound like that would take a lot of effort.

...


It's not "hard" in the sense of requiring enormous skill or stamina or financial resources. It's just very odd, in the sense of "Who could be bothered to do all of that for no good reason?" And it's "hard" in the sense that one might not naturally be inclined to tell a huge lie as one of the first things you say to your new recruit... It's not just nameless people saying this to nameless other people, you know; the president said it to NM himself.


There you go again. All that work! Its just feeding a line to reporters (which they will jump on). The idea that a football club WOULDN'T do that beggars belief.

We did an entire club review to provide cover for the reappointment of Nathan Buckley. I find it odd that you don'[t consider that PR exercise too much work. And yet, the recruiting team dropping a little morsel for the hungry press to pick up is "too much effort". Naive.


You're entitled to your own opinion, but don't just blatantly ignore things and distort what other posters say. Read what I wrote. You know full well that it wasn't just telling something to a reporter. There was no good reason for any club to get someone invited to the draft just to fool their own supporters, at a time when they should have been thinking only of who they wanted to draft. And Eddie told N. Murphy in their phone conversation that the club ranked him 6. Do you really think it makes sense for the president to tell the new recruit a huge lie in one of his first sentences, just to fool supporters?

In fact, some people who assume that it's all true are critical of the club for letting this info out. I at a minimum agree with them that making public the claim that we ranked our first two picks at 3 and 6 puts more pressure on Hine, not less.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum



Privacy Policy

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group