Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#35,#1 Jaidyn Stephenson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Clarkson - a so called senior figure in AFL, assaults a member of the public in Adelaide but apparently that's not bringing the game into disrepute.

What Stevo did was silly at best nd yes, attacks the integrity of the AFL but really, 22 weeks, no matter how many are suspended is crazy. He would have been better belting someone according to the AFL.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:18 pm

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
Al Clarkson - a so called senior figure in AFL, assaults a member of the public in Adelaide but apparently that's not bringing the game into disrepute.

What Stevo did was silly at best nd yes, attacks the integrity of the AFL but really, 22 weeks, no matter how many are suspended is crazy. He would have been better belting someone according to the AFL.

One has to question "what integrity"? The AFL are such a bunch of hypocrites.
melliot 

Considering the other previous betting infringements vs penalties by others and the age of the player, the fact that he self-reported (a very major factor), I feel it is a harsh penalty. Thought 4-8 weeks and a big suspended portion would be fair.

The penalty is so harsh, that it will discourage others from coming forward and self reporting. They'll more likely to run the risk of getting caught.
MagpieDynasty Sagittarius

I'm wondering if there's any chance to appeal the penalty and have it reduced at all?
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:19 pm

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:

Free Kick Hawthorn , look at Stratton sent to the tribunal gets two weeks.

www.facebook/the hybernators
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:20 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Pi wrote:
The AFL look at it form the point of view what team can afford to lose, and its always us; weather it be contentions umpiring, salary cap concessions, you name it. At the same time we are the AFL's biggest cash cow.

Alright; no betting from any Collingwood supporters and lets list how much they didnt get each week.

Forgive my ignorance, but does the AFL get any dividend from betting? It must get sponsorship for all the advertising it gives to the betting agencies.

If so, a refusal from Collingwood supporters to bet on anything AFL could help.

Just sent the AFL an email saying that if they are serious about gambling they need to stop advertising at every level and get away from them like all sports did with tobacco!

PiesFan 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:20 pm

Completely agree with comments relating to double standards with the league affiliating themselves with gambling. In particular on tv broadcasts - they are pushed to viewers multiple times throughout the game.

While it’s very disappointing to cop such a long suspension, when you consider same of the reported details - it’s creating a dangerous precedent if it’s perceived as a light sentence.

Collingwood to win not as concerning; but - winning margain, Stephenson to goal, Stephenson 3+ goals, team mate to goal, team mate 2+ goals and team mates to have certain # possessions are all factors which could have been concocted in game (not suggesting that Stepho did).

Also the fact he placed bets on his friends account and then paid in cash suggests he knew he was in the wrong.

If the details reported are indeed accurate we are entitled to be extremely disappointed. But let’s also not crucify the kid. He has made a massive error in judgement and will now will pay for it. I have faith he will repay the faith our club shows in him if we provide him with support instead of desecrating his character.
melliot 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:22 pm

I think they basically negotiate the penalty with the club and player. But I guess if they can't agree, the Integrity Dept will just hand down the penalty.

It is rather convenient that it ends after the H&A. so looks like a deal.

But way over the top.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:23 pm

melliot wrote:
The penalty is so harsh, that it will discourage others from coming forward and self reporting. They'll more likely to run the risk of getting caught.

Exactly!

tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:25 pm

MagpieDynasty wrote:
I'm wondering if there's any chance to appeal the penalty and have it reduced at all?

There was a report that the AFL and Collingwood were in negotiations about the sanction, so I suspect it's accepted by the club - I personally think that if it was any higher then the Pies may have threatened to appeal, so they may have helped lower his suspension to only 10 games and have him back for finals.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:26 pm

The hypocrisy from the AFL is mind boggling, seeing as they make millions of dollars from advertising footy betting. Stevo should due the AFL for promoting gambling, then punishing him for partaking in it.

Sure, Stevo was dumb, but young people are prone to make dumb mistakes. Let's not be too hard on the kid. Now is the time to give him support. The one good thing with a 10 week ban, is he is unlikely to get injured before the finals! I suspect he'll be involved in some intensive match simulation sessions leading up to the finals, and as he is so talented, I'm hoping he won't need time to find his touch.

Luckily we have other forwards, so it shouldn't hurt our win/loss record in the 2nd half of the season.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:28 pm

PiesFan wrote:
But let’s also not crucify the kid. He has made a massive error in judgement and will now will pay for it. I have faith he will repay the faith our club shows in him if we provide him with support instead of desecrating his character.

I do believe that nowadays, the club supports its players who make mistakes extremely well. JDG is a good example of that. Jaidyn will need mountains of support. Obviously, I have no idea of what sort of personality he has, but if he has the strength of character of JDG, he will repay the club's faith in bucket loads.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:29 pm

melliot wrote:
I think they basically negotiate the penalty with the club and player. But I guess if they can't agree, the Integrity Dept will just hand down the penalty.

It is rather convenient that it ends after the H&A. so looks like a deal.

But way over the top.

Yep, same as the Heath Shaw 'deal' - determine the effective matches, then add on a suspended component to make it look as though the bigger penalty was the starting point. Except in this case, 22 weeks is way over the top.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:31 pm

KenH wrote:

Just sent the AFL an email saying that if they are serious about gambling they need to stop advertising at every level and get away from them like all sports did with tobacco!

Well done Ken. I shall do the same!!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:32 pm

I think he was pretty lucky to get only 10 weeks, all things considered:

Quote:
The multi-bets over the three legs included bets on Collingwood to win, Collingwood winning margin, Stephenson to kick a goal, Stephenson to kick multiple goals, Collingwood teammates to kick a goal, Collingwood teammates to kick multiple goals and Collingwood teammates to have in excess of a number of disposals

Shaw’s one-off transgression seems pretty minor in comparison.

Last edited by David on Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 26 of 128   

Jump to: