Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#35,#1 Jaidyn Stephenson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DT 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Deserves his whack but he also deserves credit for his honesty. At least he is available for finals.
Pi Gemini

The AFL look at it form the point of view what team can afford to lose, and its always us; weather it be contentions umpiring, salary cap concessions, you name it. At the same time we are the AFL's biggest cash cow.

Alright; no betting from any Collingwood supporters and lets list how much they didnt get each week.

Personally I don't gamble with money, so lets say its $20 I was going to bet and now wont.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

Damien wrote:
Looking at all the other precedents the penalty seems way OTT.

The number of bets and the fact it involved games for the team he was playing for killed his chances of a lenient punishment.

The decision to self-report may have been the only thing that saved him from missing a year of football as opposed to half a season.

He's made a terrible mistake and will need to regain the trust and respect from the club and his teammates. He's let down everyone down at the club but I'm sure the club will also support him as they have with past players who have been involved in off-field indiscretions.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:06 pm

Harrysz wrote:
It turns out that he bet on 3 separate games. This wasn't a one-off. On a couple of occasions he got a friend to put the bet on. On another occasion he did it himself. Did he not know you weren't allowed to do this? Did he forget?

The talk about this being an anti-Collingwood thing is rubbish. Saying "he made a mistake", is also rubbish. 3 mistakes?

I think that the penalty is harsh but in the circumstances of him having placed 3 bets, it makes sense. Stevo's a great player but this was a dreadful error of judgment. His teammates, coaches, club and supporters are entitled to be angry with him.

Correct weight. Jethro Tull had an album and song that could be dedicated to Jaiden “thick as a brick”

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:07 pm

Here's the AFL statement, with details of the games and the bets - Footscray, Essendon and Vomit. We won all three:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-19/afl-statement-on-jaidyn-stephensons-suspension
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:07 pm

doriswilgus wrote:

No,it's a 10 week suspension,with 12 weeks suspended.It's bullshit anyway.The A.F.L has completely lost the plot,no wonder people are turning away from the game.

Totally agree! Wish there was some way Collingwood supporters could hurt the AFL, but not the club , as this is just using our club's standing in the competition to send a message to every other club. Evil or Very Mad
Ev5Magpies Virgo

Ev5Magpies

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:09 pm

Silly boy. Will learn from his mistakes (we hope!)

10 weeks is about right considering all the bets were on Collingwood games he was involved in. If they were other teams he bet on he would've just been slapped with a fine.

Rowdy31 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Very harsh penalty and I'm sure has learnt from this mistake. Sadly, you can't put an old head on young shoulders so let's hope he has enough support around him to get him through this and come back even better. We have form in this area, Didak, Shaw and Swan all committed a variety of transgressions but with support they went on to forge amazing careers.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Rules are rules and he knew he broke them as he self reported. When you heard the list of bets I was thinking to myself take just take your 10 weeks and run stevo.....

The AFL wanted a harsher penalty because Stevo should have known after the first game he broke the rules not bet on 3 separate games.

I love the kid and hope he comes back and makes up for it in September but seriously what has he thinking not just betting on AFL but making multiple bets on Collingwood games in which he featured.

BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:11 pm

That is a brutal penalty. I was thinking 2-3 games. **** me
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:12 pm

Really f%cking stupid , such an important player , but the ego just gets in the way. I think the fine was a bit excessive and I think 6 weeks would have been fair since he self- reported.

www.facebook/the hybernators
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:13 pm

I bet $50 he wins the Norm Smith medal... Very Happy
mudlark 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:13 pm

Press conference @ 2.00PM on fox footy I believe.`Because he "Self reported"?and was honest about what happened he got 12 weeks ,suspended.Someone has dubbed him in and the AFL must have been sitting on this for quite a while.

Last edited by mudlark on Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:14 pm

Pi wrote:
The AFL look at it form the point of view what team can afford to lose, and its always us; weather it be contentions umpiring, salary cap concessions, you name it. At the same time we are the AFL's biggest cash cow.

Alright; no betting from any Collingwood supporters and lets list how much they didnt get each week.

Forgive my ignorance, but does the AFL get any dividend from betting? It must get sponsorship for all the advertising it gives to the betting agencies.

If so, a refusal from Collingwood supporters to bet on anything AFL could help.
Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:15 pm

22 weeks is WAAAAAAAY over the top.
The 10 weeks he has to serve is excessive.
He has to be suspended for being stupid though.
I would have thought around 4 weeks was appropriate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 25 of 128   

Jump to: