Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#35,#1 Jaidyn Stephenson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
Also, remember 12 months ago we were given a hard time because Carlton "had the better list" after having received more rising star nominations than us.

Thats up there with the biggest bullsh*t I've ever read with "blockbuster fatigue".

Same stuff was going around pre-season: Carlton are heading in the right direction, Pies are stuck and with an ageing list.

Carlton have got some talented young players, they've also brought in a bunch that are pretty ordinary. So far, there's little to no evidence that Bolton is going to take them forward. They've been the worst scoring team in the comp under him and only seem to be getting worse.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:04 pm

K wrote:
Media have been reporting for a while that a 2-year contract extension is imminent.

Looking forward to seeing him wear #11 in 2019!

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:21 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
Also, remember 12 months ago we were given a hard time because Carlton "had the better list" after having received more rising star nominations than us.

Thats up there with the biggest bullsh*t I've ever read with "blockbuster fatigue".

Same stuff was going around pre-season: Carlton are heading in the right direction, Pies are stuck and with an ageing list.

Carlton have got some talented young players, they've also brought in a bunch that are pretty ordinary. So far, there's little to no evidence that Bolton is going to take them forward. They've been the worst scoring team in the comp under him and only seem to be getting worse.

Not that I care but how are Carlton going to get better when every year they make 10-13 changes to their list? Bolton is a good coach coaching a lousy list. It's basically a hit and miss situation where some of the pickups such as Marchbank turn out ok and others linger in the VFL until they get delisted and so it goes on every year. You need to have a clear strategy with the type of player you need to top up your list. Clarkson is brilliant at it. Buckley is learning from his mistakes and has basically got it right since 2015. If you change coach you change list strategy which can be disastrous if you want to build a list which will eventually deliver you a flag.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:23 pm

Well, one fewer competitor for the Rising Star award, with Jack Graham rubbed out. Not that Graham was necessarily a threat. I'm just pleased that the Tigers lost $10k appealing. It's good that we're not the only club throwing money away frivolously.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:32 pm

K wrote:
Well, one fewer competitor for the Rising Star award, with Jack Graham rubbed out. Not that Graham was necessarily a threat. I'm just pleased that the Tigers lost $10k appealing. It's good that we're not the only club throwing money away frivolously.

Buckley only won the award because he wasn't playing for us. We never win this award and never will, hence there are no threats to us winning the rising star award. Look at Lewis Taylor who won the award a couple of years ago for Brisbane. Good player isn't he? I'd prefer Stephenson to be a premiership player any day of the week than a rising star winner.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:10 pm

Jezza wrote:
Heath Shaw came close in 2006 finishing 3rd in 2006 behind Danyle Pearce and Andrew Raines.

That shows you the unimportance of this award. And how wrong they can get it.

Rhys Palmer (2008), Michael Wilson (1997), Paul Hasleby (2000) are other examples of lesser players winning.

E 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:35 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Heath Shaw came close in 2006 finishing 3rd in 2006 behind Danyle Pearce and Andrew Raines.

Rhys Palmer (2008), Michael Wilson (1997), Paul Hasleby (2000) are other examples of lesser players winning.

rising Star award is not meant to be a judge of how good a player will end up. that would be far too subjective. Shouldn't it be about who had the best rookie year? Haselby was better than Pavlich in 2000. He looked like the steal of that draft. That his career didn't end up as decorated as Pavlich's for example should not prove that the award is crap.

Otherwise, let's award the Rising star for 2000 in 2015 when we have full visibility as to what will happen to a player (and can account for injury, quality of team, motivation to play forever, etc.).

By the way, on draft day, I thought Collingwood said it would have taken Murphy at 6 if Stevenson wasn't available? Why isnt he winning the rising star nomination?

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:47 am

Lokan got nominated and out of AFL shortly after.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:24 am

E wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
Jezza wrote:

rising Star award is not meant to be a judge of how good a player will end up. that would be far too subjective. Shouldn't it be about who had the best rookie year? Haselby was better than Pavlich in 2000. He looked like the steal of that draft. That his career didn't end up as decorated as Pavlich's for example should not prove that the award is crap.

Otherwise, let's award the Rising star for 2000 in 2015 when we have full visibility as to what will happen to a player (and can account for injury, quality of team, motivation to play forever, etc.).

By the way, on draft day, I thought Collingwood said it would have taken Murphy at 6 if Stevenson wasn't available? Why isnt he winning the rising star nomination?

I thought the point about a rising star award was to give it to somebody who would become a star of the competition. In fact no problem with Haselby or Pavlich who both went on to be stars of the competition. Most times the experts get it right but ocassionally one or two slip through the cracks who you wonder about. We had our own two in McGough and Barham, neither of whom knew how to kick, who won on a performance on one game. Stars perform consistently most days. That's the difference between a star and an ordinary player.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:56 am

Whatever it’s supposed to be, it’s actually just “best-performed, so far, according to the following arbitrary criteria ....” It’s a little like “best first-year player” but with some bulges in the rules because some players aren’t really “best first-year players” until their second year, as they only tend to get a bit of a glimpse at the AFL in their first season.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:10 am

Historically, it has helped to get an early nomination as it is a precursor for playing more games.

That Stepho and Murray have been nominated inside the first 4 rounds gives them a chance.

I actually rate Murray the more likely as he has that little bit more mature body and has played senior footy for a season. Stepho at some point will be given a rest as he's quite slight and the rigors of week in week out footy may wear.

Regardless, it's great to have such exciting and talented prospects running around in out best 22.

Hope springs eternal!
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:29 pm

^^^
Agree that Murray looks more likely and for the reasons you said.
Raynor looks very likely and they would love to give it to a Lions player of course.
Parfitt looks a ripper and Coffield has been impressive in his first two games.
There’s a lot to play out but I would think Murray would get more game time than most of the “ kids “ ( baring injury ) and that can only help his chances.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:36 pm

E wrote:

Otherwise, let's award the Rising star for 2000 in 2015 when we have full visibility as to what will happen to a player (and can account for injury, quality of team, motivation to play forever, etc.)

Well thats all fair.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:12 pm

Our NAB RS💥 boys for mine set their sights on playing well and retaining their spot

Give their all and share in a cake called Premiership

think better 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:27 am

Just rewatched the game from Friday night. I can't remember a first year player with such great footy instincts and skill.

The goal he kicked when he lost sight of the ball, had it bounce up in front of him, which he grabbed cleanly, took one step and snapped off his left (non-preferred) was just brilliant.

His other goal which he kicked from a set shot in the right pocket again with his left boot was another gem, and then...........

His big kick from 60 out on a set shot was great and fully deflated the Crows

He won't do this every week but if he can produce some of these feats of brilliance like this now and then, we have unearthed a gem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 8 of 128   

Jump to: