Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dehumanisation, cruelty and morality

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:43 pm
Post subject: Dehumanisation, cruelty and moralityReply with quote

I found this a really interesting read (kind of related to that article I posted earlier today in the ISIS thread). It’s an analysis of where human cruelty comes from, with, perhaps, some surprising conclusions.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/11/27/the-root-of-all-cruelty

Quote:
In many instances, violence is neither a cold-blooded solution to a problem nor a failure of inhibition; most of all, it doesn’t entail a blindness to moral considerations. On the contrary, morality is often a motivating force: “People are impelled to violence when they feel that to regulate certain social relationships, imposing suffering or death is necessary, natural, legitimate, desirable, condoned, admired, and ethically gratifying.” Obvious examples include suicide bombings, honor killings, and the torture of prisoners during war, but Fiske and Rai extend the list to gang fights and violence toward intimate partners. For Fiske and Rai, actions like these often reflect the desire to do the right thing, to exact just vengeance, or to teach someone a lesson. There’s a profound continuity between such acts and the punishments that—in the name of requital, deterrence, or discipline—the criminal-justice system lawfully imposes.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It started off well and i agreed, then it went heavier and I lost concentration about half way through.

I may go back to it, it was interesting.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:24 pm

The first 2 things are the social goals of capitalism. To a proper conservative, they are net public goods.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:26 pm

^

Speaketh the lawer

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:27 am

I read it, but I didn't think it illuminated much. Its argument seems to be that :

1. Some violence comes from denying the subjectivity of the victim.
2. Some violence comes from understanding how the subjectivity of the victim may threaten me (which then leads me to deny their right to do so).
3. Those who commit violent acts often convince themselves that they are acting for the "good" (Himmler really seems to have believed the world would one day thank him for ridding the world of Jews).

I honestly didn't think this takes us much beyond what we already knew. I think violence is both inevitable, and arguably essential, to human nature and society. After all, the state itself is constituted, at bottom, by the right to use physical force. The interesting question is not why some people act violently : it is what rules regulate violence so that is only deployed when large essential principles are in play: reciprocity, proportionality, predictability, individual liberty etc. the other interesting question is how we build and sustain conscience in a mass of humanity. When the wrong people are given power, unjust violence follows as pus follows gangrene. That is why the wrong people - who often dress themselves in high-minded humanitarian camouflage - must not be allowed to triumph.

If there is one cause of everyday violence, it is the belief thay my subjectivity is sovereign in the world and it has the right to rule yours. This has become more or less the default setting in our atomized modern world, where the crude certainties of feeling have dethroned reason and compromise.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:22 am

Sapolsky's caveat that the same behaviours often have (apparently) different causes, and different behaviours often have (apparently) identical causes, should probably preface these discussions.

It's not hard to imagine both humanisation and dehumanisation causing the same outcome. Then again, it's not hard to imagine both humanisation and dehumanisation causing different outcomes. Or, that both terms are unhelpful in this context. Or, that both terms mean pretty much the same thing depending on how they're used. And so on.

Such is where we're at.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: