Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ben Crocker's Dad - dealing with early onset Alzheimers

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:36 pm
Post subject: Ben Crocker's Dad - dealing with early onset AlzheimersReply with quote

Good story, but sad.

Quote:
COLLINGWOOD youngster Ben Crocker has opened up on the difficulties of his father Paul’s early onset Alzheimer’s disease.

Crocker’s father was diagnosed with the chronic degenerative brain disease five years ago in his fifties, with early onset a rarer version of the condition that is the cause of many cases of dementia.

Crocker initially held back on discussing his father’s condition with the Magpies, but last year after speaking with the club’s psychologist decided to reveal it to the playing group as part of Crocker’s own attempt to deal with the circumstances.

Speaking with Fox Footy’s On the Mark, he explained his father’s condition started with memory loss, like forgetting to pick him up from footy training in Year 12, but only increased from there.

“It is sad when I think about it that his involvement now (in my career) is pretty much nothing. He comes to the games but he doesn’t understand what’s going on,” Crocker said.

“I can’t see feedback off him, I can’t talk to him about how I played and how he enjoyed the game. The more I think about it, it is a shame that he doesn’t know I’m playing for Collingwood, because I grew up barracking for Collingwood and I know how proud he’d be of me.

“That’s the saddest thing about it — that Dad would be so proud of me. He actually came into the rooms after my first game and that was probably the last memory he would’ve had of me playing footy.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/collingwood-youngster-ben-crocker-bravely-discusses-dad-pauls-early-onset-alzheimers-disease-on-on-the-mark/news-story/d770a7ae198965625d689818b9a1a8ed

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

A large amount of Australian families are dealing with this on a day to day basis and it's not news. Hopefully stories like this alert people to the growing problem. https://www.dementia.org.au/
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:40 pm

Good on the kid for going public with this. I hope he has a long and successful career with us, but more importantly, I hope his teammates rally around him.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:41 pm

I always wonderded why his Dad was not there when he was Drafted.

This is the Reason - Very Sad

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:06 pm

Such enormous character and strength from Ben. I watched the interview on Fox Footy and he shares in the care of his father after hours. So he puts in a full day at the club, goes home exhausted and then takes on care duties. It's pretty impressive that he has managed to get some senior games while dealing with all of that.
Hope the footy gods reward him with a long, successful career at Collingwood.
MagpieDynasty Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:39 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Such enormous character and strength from Ben. I watched the interview on Fox Footy and he shares in the care of his father after hours. So he puts in a full day at the club, goes home exhausted and then takes on care duties. It's pretty impressive that he has managed to get some senior games while dealing with all of that.
Hope the footy gods reward him with a long, successful career at Collingwood.

Absolutely!! The club will no doubt put their collective arms around him and support where necessary. To deal with that at such a young age and deal with the demands of AFL footy, in my view he is already successful.

There's a few on the list that could do worse than use him as a barometer for courage and determination.

I wish him every success and count my own blessings!

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:12 pm

Good on you young mate —having a dad with dementia and supporting mum thru it is really a difficult task.

We all have parents who are so precious and you acknowledge that by your commitment

Your a champ mate

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:17 pm

Ben Crocker's interview on Fox Footy's 'On The Mark' programme is now up on the Collingwood web site.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-04-12/ben-crockers-inspirational-story
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:35 pm

So moving and hard to hold back a tear !!!

Ben any dad would be proud to call you son

With time dad still with you am sure you will love him and help mum give him
the best life you can

ip address 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:04 am

Good on you "Crock", I'm very proud of how brave you are and how you're handling this very delicate and difficult time.

My mother passed away a couple of years ago from dementia and when you said your Dad still recognises Eddie McGuire it made me laugh as I used to visit my Mum in the nursing home after work and we would watch 'Million Dollar Hot Seat' or whatever the show is called, and her short term memory was gone, however, I would always ask her, "who is that man? Without fail she would say"Eddie McGuire". Very Happy

partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:24 am

my mum always recognised Didak - watching the footy was one pleasure she enjoyed thank goodness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: