Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

An NBL team - dare we?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:58 am
Post subject: An NBL team - dare we?Reply with quote

The article only hints at it, but is it a smart way around the football department spending tax?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-clubs-considering-franchises-in-nbl-expansion-says-nbl-chief-jeremy-loeliger-20171113-gzkoix.html
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:53 pm
Post subject: Re: An NBL team - dare we?Reply with quote

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
The article only hints at it, but is it a smart way around the football department spending tax?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-clubs-considering-franchises-in-nbl-expansion-says-nbl-chief-jeremy-loeliger-20171113-gzkoix.html

Tell them they are dreaming. If it is to be done, it can't be at a very low level like the Women's AFL or netball. It has to be professional to compete.I can't see it being financially viable. Where will the support for it come from? How much money would the club be prepared to lose on it?

A few years ago an iconic brand such as Melbourne Tigers separated from the Tigers junior club and reformed as Melbourne United. My boys were typical of Friday night rep. basketballers that played against the Tigers juniors. They saw the Tigers as their enemy and had no interest in the Tigers NBL team. They have little interest in Melbourne United now, but live and breathe NBA. They support their NBA teams.

If there was a Collingwood NBL team the subset of potential supporters is very small - that being Pies people that are interested in basketball. Supporters of other AFL clubs will not be on board. That does not sound very appealing from a commercial prospect.

If the NBL wants to expand Nunawading would be a possible choice. But, rival club's supporters won't support Nunawading. A potential choice would be Eltham, (the largest sports club in the southern hemisphere), which has about 4000 registered players, but no stadium worthy of a high level competition. But, rival club's supporters won't support Eltham.

Collingwood knows nothing about basketball. It should keep well away from ventures that even basketball clubs won't touch.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be a successful AFL club both on and off the field first before we head
into any more distractions

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:02 pm

I am all for it. The amount of basketball players that become footballers is pretty high. Some gun footballers used to play basketball. Robbie Gray was grabbed off a basketball court to play Aussie Rules and the rest is history. Pendles was a basketball player. It will be like a mini recruiting area and we have the facilities that can be utilised all year. Yes I'd rather the AFL team be successful but a basketball team isn't that strange an idea. It will happen.
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Well we aren't going to win an AFL premiership any time soon.

Why not an NBL one.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:34 pm

Does this mean we can bring back Jesse White?
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Seriously though, The NM Giants, SE Melbourne Magic and the Melbourne Tigers were all successful NBL clubs in the 1990's.

Then something happened.

And we saw all three clubs change identities and completely disappear.

We saw the South Dragons and the Victoria Titans.

And no we have Melbourne United. An attempt to win back the supporters of all the clubs of the past. The Tigers are dead. The Giants are dead. The Magic is dead. The Titans are dead. The Dragons are dead.

United, a team that wears black and white and mostly resembles the Magic of the past, are just hanging in there.

Collingwood in the NBL would be an epic disaster. The fan focus can only be towards Collingwoods AFL supporters. So how many Collingwood supporters like basketball enough to go to games and support the new team?

Does the NBL want this? Would a Melbourne United Vs Collingwood rivalry be enough to keep the NBL alive in this state? Do we want this extra distraction? Do we actually give a fk about it?

Will an ice hockey team be next?

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:07 pm
Post subject: Re: An NBL team - dare we?Reply with quote

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:

Tell them they are dreaming. If it is to be done, it can't be at a very low level like the Women's AFL or netball. It has to be professional to compete.I can't see it being financially viable. Where will the support for it come from? How much money would the club be prepared to lose on it?

A few years ago an iconic brand such as Melbourne Tigers separated from the Tigers junior club and reformed as Melbourne United. My boys were typical of Friday night rep. basketballers that played against the Tigers juniors. They saw the Tigers as their enemy and had no interest in the Tigers NBL team. They have little interest in Melbourne United now, but live and breathe NBA. They support their NBA teams.

If there was a Collingwood NBL team the subset of potential supporters is very small - that being Pies people that are interested in basketball. Supporters of other AFL clubs will not be on board. That does not sound very appealing from a commercial prospect.

If the NBL wants to expand Nunawading would be a possible choice. But, rival club's supporters won't support Nunawading. A potential choice would be Eltham, (the largest sports club in the southern hemisphere), which has about 4000 registered players, but no stadium worthy of a high level competition. But, rival club's supporters won't support Eltham.

Collingwood knows nothing about basketball. It should keep well away from ventures that even basketball clubs won't touch.

As usual 5FTW you make many valid points.
It is the age old business issue. Stick with core or go for non core opportunities. There is not a business case for this proposal and it will be a drain and a sideshow.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:37 pm

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/nbl-confirms-afl-clubs-are-keen-to-create-basketball-teams-to-be-part-of-leagues-expansion/news-story/a9b56301d8d6334b41866797a9be017a
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:07 am

Elite athletes training with other elite athletes, shared cost, the ability to attract the best support staff - I think the following for the team would actually be a secondary consideration.

And a couple of hundred thousand Pies supporters is a better deal than they have at the moment. I pay scant attention to NBL today, despite having played the game (at a Z-grade level). If there was a Collingwood team, my interest would be that much more.

(Mind you, imagine Richmond reigniting the Tigers NBL brand!)
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:49 am

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Elite athletes training with other elite athletes, shared cost, the ability to attract the best support staff - I think the following for the team would actually be a secondary consideration.

And a couple of hundred thousand Pies supporters is a better deal than they have at the moment. I pay scant attention to NBL today, despite having played the game (at a Z-grade level). If there was a Collingwood team, my interest would be that much more.

(Mind you, imagine Richmond reigniting the Tigers NBL brand!)

It is going to be a crowded gym at Pieland.
Need to have a booking schedule for the weights equipment. With the support staff overworked. It is a distraction with little to no value re rubbing shoulders with other athletes.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:18 pm

Co you know, MBA students have never benefited from rubbing shoulders with others outside their domain, and the armed forces never go to serve with other country's forces...
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:32 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Co you know, MBA students have never benefited from rubbing shoulders with others outside their domain, and the armed forces never go to serve with other country's forces...

the armed forces practice with other armed forces. MBA students do work for others in different business fields.
This whole expansion business is a crock.It is as if silly Ed wants to have a brand with every sporting code and badge them Collingwood. It is the Mcdonalds business plan of Maccing everything. Maybe ed will name us McCollingwood.
It is an ego thing. The delusions of grandeur. Just stick to our core business of football afl style. I will support the womens team as at least it our football code. But netball and basketball and others doesn't make a great deal of sense.
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:32 pm

The only crossover that has really worked is Collingwood AFLW team. That is because all Magpie fans like footy and a lot of us want to barrack for a Collingwood women's team. I am less convinced that most Pie fans are all that interested in Collingwood netball team. I sometimes watch them on TV but have never been motivated to go to a game. This is not because it is a women's team, it's because it is a netball team. I would have the same reaction to a Collingwood basketball team. And a few years ago, when we had a Collingwood soccer team (which was really Heidelberg Soccer Club) I didn't go to see them either. Australian Rules Footy (both Men's and Women's) is what Collingwood does well. Let's confine ourselves to that.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:13 pm

Can we just focus on being a strong football team?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: