Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Magpie player debuts

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:17 am
Post subject: Magpie player debutsReply with quote

Chronologically:-
1. Terry Waters kicked 5 goals on debut against North Melbourne at Vic Park in 1963. He was a great mark and kick for goal. He played in 3 losing grand finals, on the backline. Collingwood could never be accused of learning from mistakes.

2. Wayne Richardson amassed more than 30 possessions on debut against Richmond at Vic Park. It was clear that he'd be a star.

3. Rod Oborne kicked 5 goals on debut then basically disappeared.

4. Heath Shephard kicked 5 goals 9 in his first game and looked to be unbeatable. Then he too disappeared to later reappear for the Brisbane Bears.

5. Dale Thomas kicked 2 goals on debut and took a spectacular mark. There was a performance which WAS a portent of things to come. Daisy was pivotal in helping us win the flag in 2010. I forget where he is right now but I believe he'll always be regarded as a magpie.

So, who have I forgotten? Tomorrow night we'll see Jaiden Stephenson and Sam Murray make their debuts for Collingwood. Let's hope for a long successful career for them both.
GlovemanGayfer Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Damien Houlihan - From memory three brownlow votes to match the three goals he kicked with his first three kicks. Obscurity followed....
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:07 am

Ricky Barham? 5 goals from the wing opposed to (I think) Rocket Eade.

Went on to have a handy career - 4 losing grand finals and a draw...
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:46 am

1973 VFL Prelim final a 16 yr old debut,s for Magpies (AFL/VFL record youngest player in a final)

Rene Kink (aka Tank O,Donahue) that day kicked 3 goals 2 behind in a losing game

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:59 am

BazBoy wrote:
1973 VFL Prelim final a 16 yr old debut,s for Magpies (AFL/VFL record youngest player in a final)

Rene Kink that day kicked 3 goals 2 behind in a losing game

...and I was there. He also attended Melbourne High School (MHS) for some years where I went. In terms of academic abilities he was a great footy player. He was a year "below" me.

Our school team featured many VFL (pre AFL) and reservers, thirds and VFA players.

Basically clubs would entice players through their parents to come from the country & sell a good education in the mix. MHS also had others come to do their HSC and matricualtion before that.

In my year we had: Robbie Flower, Billy Picken, Phil Manassa, Butch Edwards, Shane Fitsimmonss amongt other (& WPT)

These days MHS has changed, AFL is not like it was I'm told at the school but that is another story. However I'm told ping pong, cricket and badminton is second to none at MHS Wink

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:09 pm

Me too WPT and also saw a young man debut in the VFL prelim of 1965

Went on to be a Collingwood great Len Thompson

That debut game overshadowed by alleged hit behind play

Duncan Wright it was said decked Somerville ❓❓❓❓❓❓

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:10 pm

Ricky Barham. Of course! How could I have forgotten him. I was there, at Princess Park when he kicked 5 goals on debut, from the wing. Thanks for the reminder.

Rene Kink's debut in the 1973 Prelim Final was a good debut, but there was a guy called Peter McKenna who'd been dropped for that game who might've done better. That was significant in a game which we lost by 7 points. Not Rene's fault of course but after all of these years, it still rankles.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:23 pm

Watched Demons beat us last round in 1976 to the shame of a wooden spoon

April the following year (1977) I was off to Europe till early August and pre email days I was sending and receiving air mail letters

Got all the news and a mate kept saying Mate this new kid Barham is so quick Tommy seemed to have righted the ship

Got home and slept out side Vic Park for two nights to get grannies tickets
Mark 1 and Mark 2

Yep Ricky was good

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:51 pm

Sorry, guys - it wasn't Ricky's first game. He played in the two previous matches. His 3rd game was against Hawthorn. But it was a great one.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:45 pm

Boogie Knights wrote:
Ricky Barham? 5 goals from the wing opposed to (I think) Rocket Eade.

Went on to have a handy career - 4 losing grand finals and a draw...

Yes, it was against Eade. Eade has spoken about the smashing that he received on that day. I remember everyone diving into their Footy Records to find out who the quick goalkicker wearing no. 43 was. From memory, that it was the day the Hawks unveiled their '76 premiership flag, and Tommy's boys pumped them.

Another debut was Peter Marshall late in '79 - may have been the last game of the season pre finals. Promoted as Raw Shaw was out injured, got Brownlow votes, dropped the next week.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:48 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Sorry, guys - it wasn't Ricky's first game. He played in the two previous matches. His 3rd game was against Hawthorn. But it was a great one.

Yes you are right, but you are ruining a good story. It was the first game in which RB actually started on the ground rather than on the bench.

As Churchill once said, words to the effect of "if it's not true, it should be". I didn't want to call myself '5 from the wing on the 3rd game", it doesn't sound right.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:57 pm

You've missed quite a few debuts. Here are some Round 1 debuts to remember:

Frankie Raso: Rd 1, Hawks, 1998: 1 free against

Luke Godden: Rd 1, StK, 1997: 4 disposals, 1 tackles and 2 frees against

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:26 pm

Heath Sheppardhis father Grahame was a doozie circa seventies

After a game at Vic Park we lingered over a lot of beers on 1st floor bar

Leaving the Social Club when our lift arrived Grahame was using key to get into his Falcon and after several unsuccessful attempts finally listened to his partner who for ten minutes tried to tell him it werent his Falcon

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:40 pm

Harrysz wrote:
Ricky Barham. Of course! How could I have forgotten him. I was there, at Princess Park when he kicked 5 goals on debut, from the wing. Thanks for the reminder.

Rene Kink's debut in the 1973 Prelim Final was a good debut, but there was a guy called Peter McKenna who'd been dropped for that game who might've done better. That was significant in a game which we lost by 7 points. Not Rene's fault of course but after all of these years, it still rankles.

Might have done better, but Supermac had struggled to get more than 4 possessions in the preceding three weeks, averaging about two goals. I loved him, but he was way below his best by then. I was there that day, and it was the second worst Colliwobbles performance after 1970. We were about 45 points up late in the 2nd quarter, but we all knew what was likely to happen next. And it did, of course. Sigh. Such a strange era.

duke750 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:30 pm

Allan Toovey had a pretty good debut...3 goals against Richmond. Then became a very good defender.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: