Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Can we make finals with current group

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

qldmagpie that sums up my veiw and yes Maynard IMO must be an attack weapon so Murray I hope can slot in to replace him
E 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:04 am

i think our success in 2018 hinges on whether we have a forward line that functions well enough to give the rest of the team confidence that they can attack and wont get burned on the counterattack. We saw signs of this towards the end of the year, but i am still not sure we have the answer (or even a solution).

Some combo of Moore, Grundy/Cox, WHE, Elliot and Faz plus some kind of support from our quality ids might form a forward line that serves the purpose.

Last year, when we struggled, i felt like it was mainly due to the defense and midfield worrying about sending the ball forward with abandon. the ball would fly out of our attacking zone just as quickly as it went in, unless we planned our entries meticulously. This is what lead to the chippy type of game that we all saw and HATED!!!!!

If you look at premierships teams, they happily bomb the ball forward and trust their forwards to score or at least lock the ball in the forward line. They sometimes manufacture goals out of nothing from this type of play, but even more importantly, they don't give up the ball on the counter attack so easily or so often.

Our backline and midfield will be at least the equal of any team in the comp. The only issue is whether our forwards can function in a way to give them confidence to take the game on!

This fact will determine how far we go in 2018.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:35 am

I felt although we didn't progress much in ladder position there were signs

The eventual GF teams with a little more effort should have been wins

But boy oh boy it's got to be every one giving 100% all season and that will
take some doing

mudlark 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:52 am

We most certainly can make the finals with this list.We had many injuries again this year.Several games played without least 6 and 7 players not available.We lost at least 4 games we should have won.Richmond,Footscray,Melbourne(QB) and GWS ,we drew after smashing the Crows all day and most of these games we had key players missing and a couple under done. Our best football is as good or better than any team going around and it has ,in a lot of cases, been a poor disposal here or there that has changed a game and we can't forget the poor, very poor, goal kicking.When we have kicked straight we've generally won.My only hope is that next year,and I won't name names ,but I'm sure there's an acute awarenesss of who they are,Buckley stops playing plodders for the sake of it when we all know it is detrimental to our chances.My view is that they should have been moved on ,but that didn't happens we go with what we have and hopefully we get some decent draft picks and Young Mclarty steps up and becomes a key backman. Unfortunately The "B" and the "S" still on the list don't inspire confidence if they happen to get a game, particularly both of them together.We CAN make the 8.
Big Dan 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:19 pm

No. Last 3 years has shown no signs of growth/improvement.

Based on the fact KPP's take 3-4 years to hit peak performance, I'm not expecting a finals appearance until 2021-22.

If the club keeps trading off early picks and recruiting as if it only needs to plu holes, then this could be even longer.

I hope I'm wrong, but there has been nothing to show me that there is a plan in place (both on & off field) to halt the quick-fix approach that has been taken since 2013.
Stevo75 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:52 pm

Yes they can and anything else should be seen as a failure. The best from this group of players is certainly enough and we have seen glimpses of what they are capable of against the "so called" best. Full pre-seasons from Scharenberg, Langdon, Wells, Reid, Varcoe and Aish to name a few will go a long way towards success. The Club has had a huge turnover of players in the past few years and I'm happy that they have stuck with the core group next year. Cohesion is greatly underrated and is what has been lacking in the last few years mostly due to injury. This group need to gel and trust each other and if that happens anything is possible! Go Pies!
K 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:36 pm

BazBoy wrote:
Max Laughton of Fox sport

I see he has a low opinion of the last two premiers. (I also do, but how low is the question, and if one is to miss and the other scrape into the eight, I hope it's the Tigers that miss.) It also looks like he thinks the trading results will boost Port, but not the Bumbers. Time will tell...
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:09 pm

A little off topic but I was thrilled to hear that Pendlebury, Treloar and Adams all joined in (2 weeks early) with first to fourth year players at pre-season training today. They didn’t have too but they did. How many posters on this site would forgo two weeks annual leave for the love and commitment of their job/employer?

That is exactly the sort of commitment that will drive our list up the ladder and into finals. Great leadership. Go Pies.

Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:31 pm

For mine, there are six crucial players/elements.
Elliott and Faz fully fit and mentally right alone will be enormous.
Cox coming on up forward and pinch hitting in the ruck is something to be excited about.
Reid, Varcoe and Wells getting through the year for more games collectively than last year will be a significant boost too.
A bonus would be a Pick 6 who has an immediate impact.
My glass is half full.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:16 am

I'm with Billy.... we'll piss it in.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:22 am

Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:
A little off topic but I was thrilled to hear that Pendlebury, Treloar and Adams all joined in (2 weeks early) with first to fourth year players at pre-season training today. They didn’t have too but they did. How many posters on this site would forgo two weeks annual leave for the love and commitment of their job/employer?

That is exactly the sort of commitment that will drive our list up the ladder and into finals. Great leadership. Go Pies.

Well, they need to if they’re wanting to catch up to Mr Copeland 2017’s on-field exploits in 2018.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:58 am

The last two years have proved that anything is possible. In 2017 our good was good but we were inconsistent and fell away in far too many games. With and achievable improvements in kicking skills both in play and at goal our results would have been much better from a win / loss perspective.

I do not think we are going to se the world on fire but if we keep our guys on a paddock we should make the 8.

R.Barham 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:52 pm

All you Guys are amazing with such a positive attitude this time of year

If the Players where as positive and possessed the same metal attitude as you guys we could guarantee a Top 4 finish !!

Very Happy Very Happy
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:37 pm

^Pies4shaw

You never miss an opportunity lol, Qldmagpie will choke on his weetbix reading that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: