Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Politics and university study

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
K wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Interesting how this thread twists.

There's little doubt that humanities subjects have a left wing bias both in the lecturers and the students, in general. The subject matter leans that way.

What would be the political bias of the science based subjects? Chemistry, physics, maths, engineering, IT, medical etc. Is there a conclusion to be drawn there, as these subjects generally attract the most intelligent students.

Do you mean what political bias is in the courses themselves? Or do you mean what (unstated) political views the average lecturer or student harbours ?
Since politics is not relevant to most science and engineering classes, it won't come up in the lectures themselves. That is presumably true of large sections of the humanities, too, such as foreign languages.

Where I was aiming is that some subjects, by the nature of the content, attract students (and therefore lecturers) who naturally lean to either left or right depending on the subject.

Science based subjects I would expect to have more right leaning students and the reverse with most arts/humanities students

I've never got the impression science students are particularly right leaning. Which STEM course they take does seem to be influenced somewhat by socioeconomic background.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:04 pm

Maybe, maybe not. I have no data, I'm personality profiling from a distance and assuming from the Myer briggs scale that F's are more likely to do humanities and lean left and T's are more likely to do sciences and lean right.

I may be totally wrong.

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:36 pm

Hard to generalise but in my experience id say commerce, economics, marketing and engineering students are right leaning and humanities and social sciences left. With science students it varies depending on the science. For example, I teach a lot of environmental science students and most are centre left which makes sense. Other sciences tend to be more varied. They're mostly crazy as batshit though...
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:54 am

Wokko wrote:
http://newbostonpost.

com/2017/11/09/undoing-the-dis-education-of-millennials/

That was a majestic read, thank you.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:11 am

Went back and read the article on your comments and I totally agree. If only all teachers felt that way! Especially like the part about diversity and equality not being sought just for the sake of it. There is nothing wrong with embracing our differences and indeed, making the most of them. And not everything needs a label. Love it.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:42 pm

The scariest part of this article? "non-replicable research"
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-unfortunate-fallout-of-campus-postmodernism/?wt.mc=SA_Twitter-Share
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:49 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
The scariest part of this article? "non-replicable research"
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-unfortunate-fallout-of-campus-postmodernism/?wt.mc=SA_Twitter-Share

I think the scariest part of the article is that this world view leads us towards the horrors of Maoism. The elevation of sentiment over reason, and the humiliation of intellectuals by mobs chanting idealistic slogans has happened before in history, and it will happen again. There is no reason to expect that it cannot happen here.

What’s hard to understand is just how widespread it is. Is it just a few nutters with their retinue saying outrageous things to get noticed, or is it established at scale? My son, a history student at a major UK university, says that it’s there, but not widespread. He also says that genuinely conservative professors are few and far between (he couldnt think of any). Interestingly, he said that many students with aConservative bent end up doing military history, as there is a kind of factual neutrality in that subject.

In one sense, the “critical theory” foot-stampers are right. In the field of the humanities, what’s deemed good depends significantly upon power relations. There are no bridges that must stand up, or aeroplanes that must stay aloft. Postmodernism is, in that sense, quite correct. What is mystifying is why Conservatives have wanly vacated, or been pushed out of these fields so successfully, given that the radicalism now in vogue has such a terrible record of inhumanity in the twentieth century. It’s as though the re-education camps, the gulags and the concentration camps never happened.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: