Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Politics and university study

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:37 am
Post subject: Politics and university studyReply with quote

<split from ‘Police Killings in the USA’ thread>

stui magpie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Individual cases are often tragic and there have been some appalling miscarriages of justice. That is not in contest. What is questionable is the proposition that a black man, in a highly-charged context, is more likely to be shot than a white man.

https://www.cesariolab.com/race-bias-in-shooting

This is not actually a difficult read, and it is a highly reputable paper from a respected professor of social science at Michigan University. The methodology behind it is statistically rigorous and careful.

Good article and reflects a comment I was about to make, adjusting the figures based on population doesn't work.

Blacks are more highly represented in crime statistics and in Gaol. Is this pure racial bias or a reflection that a higher percentage of Blacks live in poverty than whites, and poverty is a well established link with crime.

https://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/acsbr11-17.pdf

So when every American has easy access to guns, and Blacks are more highly represented in crime stats than blacks, any cop pulling up a black person will be on heightened alert. That's not racial profiling, that's preservation instinct kicking in.

The Black Lives Matter people should focus on getting more black people educated and into higher paid employment, reducing poverty and crime if they really want to save black lives

That lack of an Arts degree is showing.

Perhaps another way of seeing the information is that laws in part are designed to operate against poor people.

Let me see: Centrelink cuts a payment to a person beacuse of the f*cuk ip in the new system. They cannot call as the goverment has cut services. A peson then has no money. How are they then meant to live?

"Dealt" with a person only last week where this exact thing happened.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ You're confusing an Arts degree with Left-wing propaganda (which, to be fair, is not surprising, since they are, sadly, intimately related nowadays).

Nowadays, laws are designed to reflect the will of parliament, which is elected via universal adult suffrage - hardly the simple conspiracy against the poor your Arts degree may have taught you.

What you wrote was somewhat true in the 19th Century, though even then the laws that protected the rights of property owners also provided a basis for protection of ordinary working people against theft and thuggery, and for economic development.

The example you gave does not seem to be to do with laws and law-making, but with very poor government and indifferent service delivery. Plus ca change.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:22 am

watt price tully wrote:

Perhaps another way of seeing the information is that laws in part are designed to operate against poor people.

If it brainwashed you to believe rubbish like that, good.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:17 am

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

If it brainwashed you to believe rubbish like that, good.

No, just providing a perpective that you continue to miss because your inherent assumption is that the laws are equal for everyone and don't operate in part against the poor. Stop being so 3AW (tabloid) about this Stui.

Remember your assetion that BLM should be advocating for jobs for black people ...Same as in Australia: there are more unemployed people & under employed people than there are jobs.

Advocating for people to be treated fairly should be worthy of support.

Having said that I'm no big fan of BLM either & they have racist policies at the same time in some areas.

Last edited by watt price tully on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:30 am

Mugwump wrote:
^ You're confusing an Arts degree with Left-wing propaganda (which, to be fair, is not surprising, since they are, sadly, intimately related nowadays).

Nowadays, laws are designed to reflect the will of parliament, which is elected via universal adult suffrage - hardly the simple conspiracy against the poor your Arts degree may have taught you.

What you wrote was somewhat true in the 19th Century, though even then the laws that protected the rights of property owners also provided a basis for protection of ordinary working people against theft and thuggery, and for economic development.

The example you gave does not seem to be to do with laws and law-making, but with very poor government and indifferent service delivery. Plus ca change.

What utter rot Mugwump. Like Malcolm Roberts just because you believe this does'nt make it true.

I know its: feminists, drugs, 1960's, free sex, free drugs, marxists under the beds, yada, yada yada..... If you are so fixated on simple causes to explain things like Stui's nonsense earlier then you're necessarily self limiting - you seem to want to categorize & label again thereby missing other ways of seeing.

If I'm a one eyed collingwood supporter then necessarily I will likely miss other ways of seeing collingwood. The same applies with your responses here: if you're so fixated on Marxists, Feminists, 1960's then it's very hard for you to entertain other ways of seeing complex issues than through reductionist lenses. That is a very ideological way of seeing the world.

Again, I did not say all laws, i did not say conspiracy (your attributions) & I did not apply labels (although I did juxtapose malcolm roberts).

Laws in part do operate against the poor that should be self evident to all whether by design, intent or unintentionally.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:28 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

What utter rot Mugwump. Like Malcolm Roberts just because you believe this does'nt make it true.

I know its: feminists, drugs, 1960's, free sex, free drugs, marxists under the beds, yada, yada yada..... If you are so fixated on simple causes to explain things like Stui's nonsense earlier then you're necessarily self limiting - you seem to want to categorize & label again thereby missing other ways of seeing.

If I'm a one eyed collingwood supporter then necessarily I will likely miss other ways of seeing collingwood. The same applies with your responses here: if you're so fixated on Marxists, Feminists, 1960's then it's very hard for you to entertain other ways of seeing complex issues than through reductionist lenses. That is a very ideological way of seeing the world.

Again, I did not say all laws, i did not say conspiracy (your attributions) & I did not apply labels (although I did juxtapose malcolm roberts).

Laws in part do operate against the poor that should be self evident to all whether by design, intent or unintentionally.

Actually, from progressive taxation, to means-tested benefits, to hundreds of equality-promoting laws, the laws we have probably operate against the rich more than the poor (and fair enough, too).

Since you repeatedly accuse me of being “simplistic”, I’ll note that in hundreds of topics, I struggle to think of one topic where your posted views differ from the orthodoxy of the undergraduate Leftist. If you can think of one, perhaps you could let me know.

My posts diverge from most bog standard modern political conservatives on the following (inter alia) : global warming, gun laws, foreign wars, market fundamentalism, housing policy, banks, and many others. You can read and check.

My distaste for the cultural rev that began in the 1960s stems from a view that the ancient British (and thence Australian) concept of liberty within the law was warped into liberalism, then into libertinism, because a growing middle-class and baby-boom bracket wanted to pursue pleasure, and thought it worth the risks. It has brought a vast legacy of drugs, violent crime, death, child vulnerability and human misery, mostly among the poor. That is my argument, and it may be right or wrong, but it is not simplistic. If you find it simplistic, maybe you are not thinking deeply enough about it.

Given the above, being repeatedly accused by you of being “simplistic” is a little like being accused by Redgum of not being sufficiently rock’n’roll.

Last edited by Mugwump on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:47 am; edited 2 times in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Mugwump wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Actually, from progressive taxation, to means-tested benefits, to hundreds of equality-promoting laws, the laws we have probably operate against the rich more than the poor (and fair enough, too).

Since you repeatedly accuse me of being “simplistic”, I’ll note that in hundreds of topics, I struggle to think of one topic where your posted views differ from the orthodoxy of the undergraduate Leftist. If you can think of one, perhaps you could let me know.

My posts diverge from most bog standard modern political conservatives on the following (inter alia) : global warming, gun laws, foreign wars, market fundamentalism, housing policy, banks, and many others. You can read and check.

My distaste for the cultural rev that began in the 1960s stems from a view that the ancient British (and thence Australian) concept of liberty within the law was warped into liberalism, then into libertinism, because a growing middle-class and baby-boom bracket wanted to pursue pleasure, and thought it worth the risks. It has brought a vast legacy of drugs, violent crime, death, child vulnerability and human misery, mostly among the poor. That is my argument, and it may be right or wrong, but it is not simplistic. If you find it simplistic, maybe you are not thinking deeply enough about it.

Given the above, being repeatedly accused by you of being “simplistic” is a little like being accused by Redgum of not being sufficiently rock’n’roll.

Of course you would say that.

I said a lot more than saying here you were being simplsitic. Indeed I know you like to use that back on me. I don't think I used the word simplisitic but I did use the term reductionsist & simple at one point.

However, there's no doubting that if your lens is so muddied you won't be seeing clearly. The same of course applies to anyone but your repeated mantra does not make it true (with respect to the world is rooned because of the ........& things were better in my day approach). Yes, you are soundng like an old fart.

However, which arts degrees? which subjects? which uni's are you talking about?

As you well know, an Arts degees can include subjects like:

Maths
Language
Linguisitics
English
English literature & a whole heap of things therein
Philosophy
History
Legal studies

Melbourne Uni

Ancient World Studies
Anthropology
Arabic
Art History
Arts Minors
Asian Studies
Australian Indigenous Studies
Chinese
Classics
Creative Writing
Criminology
Economics
English and Theatre Studies
French
Gender Studies
Geography
German
Hebrew and Jewish Studies
History
History and Philosophy of Science
Indonesian
Islamic Studies
Italian
Japanese
Linguistics and Applied Linguistics
Media and Communications
Philosophy
Politics and International Studies
Psychology
Russian
Screen and Cultural Studies
Sociology
Spanish and Latin American Studies

LaTrobe Uni
Aboriginal Studies
Anthropology
Archaeology
Asian Studies
Chinese
Creative and Professional Writing
Crime, Justice and Legal Studies
Economics
English
French
Gender, Sexuality and Diversity
Greek
History
Human Geography
International Studies
Indonesian
Italian
Japanese
Linguistics
Mathematics
Media Studies
Philosophy
Politics
Psychology
Screen studies
Sociology
Spanish
Sustainability and Development
Theatre and Drama
Classics and Ancient History
Hindi
Latin American Studies

(I used those two uni' as that's were I went for Graduate & Post Graduate Studies)

So lets be more specific: Which Arts course? which location? Which subjects?

Rather than generalize please be more specific. Rather than use some overarching term "Arts Course & Leftists" that you appear to use perjoratively which, where & what?

Of course I suspect you're thinking about Gender studies etc....

My oldest went to Melb & Edinburgh Uni's and did well. She's bright and was taught by some whose politics were likely to be of the left & others who weren't Same with me. I'm sure it was similar for you. I had so called leftists & rightists as teachers / tutors/ educators. People who were seen as rightists then but are now seen by the extreme right wing media as leftsits: Goal posts & agenda's have changed: tabloids are ruling the popular roost.

Sociology when I was at LaTrobe had a terrfic stats department both qualitative and quantitative.

My youngesrt did a double degree in Politics & Criminology. She enjoyed both subject areas, got good balance & understanding. She learnt to research, discuss, see things from different perspectives. I think her course was grand. She once took an elective in Aboriginal studies at Melbourne but found it "too preachy" especially her tutor but found other aspects interesting. But that's swings and round abouts; I'm sure you too had tutors who were good, not so good & others where you needed to change the tutor (different class). Students are not simply empty vessels that seems to be impicit in your views.

Yes, one can say it's not the simple level of student experience but the overarching framework that informs the syllabus & curricula; (those nasty leftists at it again) but I reckon you're heading in a paranoid area if you take it too far. Or is it becoming a device for conservatives to endeavour to deligitimize through labelling etc. a straw arts man?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:55 pm

Having recently delved into the cesspool of the Arts faculty they are overwhelmingly run, taught and studied by leftist/progressives and this line of thought is pushed very strongly. Any conservative opinion is devalued or shouted down and identity politics permeates everything they do.

University has become a breeding ground of progressive brainwashing to the point where they ban and censor opinions they don't like; the exact opposite of what university should be about.

Of course there are 'Good' professors, courses and institutions that still follow the Western tradition of thought, discussion, debate and respect for others opinions but finding those is like heading out to Creswick state forest hoping to find gold nuggets.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:26 pm

Wokko wrote:
Having recently delved into the cesspool of the Arts faculty they are overwhelmingly run, taught and studied by leftist/progressives and this line of thought is pushed very strongly. Any conservative opinion is devalued or shouted down and identity politics permeates everything they do.

University has become a breeding ground of progressive brainwashing to the point where they ban and censor opinions they don't like; the exact opposite of what university should be about.

Of course there are 'Good' professors, courses and institutions that still follow the Western tradition of thought, discussion, debate and respect for others opinions but finding those is like heading out to Creswick state forest hoping to find gold nuggets.

I'll ask the same question: which uni's, where, what subjects etc....as I did for Mugmump.

Ballarat uni ? Which subjects?.....

Is it English Literature and the leftist use of iambic pentameter? Did the leftists want to change it to 6 metrical feet?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:56 pm

^ WPT, if the discussion is now about whether there is left wing bias in the Arts faculties, then I think there is a great deal of evidence, both systematic and anecdotal, to support this. The Wikipedia entry on the subject, which is pretty dispassionate and tries to avoid ideological town criers, describes the various reputable studies which document the fact that academics are significantly more liberal than the community.

I think this is borne out by the various points of contact that most of us have with humanities at tertiary level. My own experience is very dated (early 1980s in literature and Psychology), but even then the preponderance of Marxist and feminist and “structuralist” theory over conservative and Leavisite was striking. With two children studying Arts subjects now at two different UK universities, they report to me that a certain game must be played to avoid “assessment risk.” Fashionable liberal opinions are safest, touching “diversity”, secularism, relativism, gender fluidity, “privilege”, post-patriotism, anti-Capitalism, etc etc as these dominate the discourse. The forces of order and tradition are always on trial, while the new orthodoxies are given a free pass.

Like most young people, of course, they just accept it, though they know, deep-down, that the edifice of the new orthodoxy is more contingent than it seems.

Final note - nowhere have I said that “we are all rooned” and that the past was golden. The past had many injustices and darknesses, and there is no reason to want it back as it was, even if that were possible. However, many things in the 1950s and 1960s were demonstrably safer and more secure for ordinary people than they are today ; and unlike “progressive” thought, the past is (broadly) not speculative, and it can teach us about concrete human possibility.

As a people, we are always in the process of choosing a future. My view is that we chose a future which entails far more derangement and misery for the less advantaged members of society than we needed to, and so-called “progressive” voices are far too complacent about their ideology and its effects. As, by the way, are the libertarian Right, who have prevailed in economics with the same damaging results.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:25 pm

Universities nowdays are little more than glorified tech schools, turning over qualifications .

I'm glad i never went and had people trying to tell me how to think, it wouldnhave eb ded well.

People who need to go to uni at 18 to learn how to think are a worry. People with brains had already figured that out.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:59 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Universities nowdays are little more than glorified tech schools, turning over qualifications .

I'm glad i never went and had people trying to tell me how to think, it wouldnhave eb ded well.

People who need to go to uni at 18 to learn how to think are a worry. People with brains had already figured that out.

Look I know a rehab centre for addiction to tabloid Murdoch press. They can assist you to wean off Terry McCrann, I just hope its not too late.

Last edited by watt price tully on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:00 am

stui magpie wrote:

^ Unfair. If you need a house wired, a sink plumbed, or a staircase made, tech schools probably teach more useful things than the average Arts degree.

At work, a really top-flight Arts graduate can be a powerful and highly effective employee, but they are too far and few between, and an average Arts graduate is liable to disgorge handed-down contrarian opinions rather than show a process of real thinking. A pity, as even the average often prove to have useful minds, once cleared of baggage and forced to engage with an unyielding reality.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:10 am

Mugwump wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

^ Unfair. If you need a house wired, a sink plumbed, or a staircase made, tech schools probably teach more useful things than an Arts degree.

However if the plumber, sparky and builder spoke another langauge they could tap into a wider market.

Further, if they studied say legal studies they might be able to assist other workers in the area about their rights as workers to work in safe environments. They could assist their colleagues say from workplace injury and say death that is far too high in the building industry....A trade is so much more useful with an Arts degree rather than instead of.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:53 am

You don’t want the trash getting above themselves, wpt. If they learn to read, they might read dangerous things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: