Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Raising kids to follow the tradition

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:18 pm
Post subject: Raising kids to follow the traditionReply with quote

I was raised with one religion ....The CFC!!!!
Out of my 4 kids I have instilled the religion into 3 of them.
The fourth one has been a problem
He barracked for the Hawks for a few years much to my horror.
He has now become completely and utterly not interested.
That is better than being a Hawks supporter I suppose.
Mind you he played 50 junior footy games and gathered I reckon about 10 kicks and 5 handballs .....total......I kid you not.
Worst footballer I ever saw.
But I was devastated when he threw in the towel on his career.
I am now working on my grand kids and all of them barrack for Collingwood. Except the youngest at 2 hasn't a clue.
Anyway, if you are a true believer then the onus is on you.
Indoctrinate anybody into the firm, in particular family!!!!!
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know I am a 3rd generation Pies supporter.

My brother in law, a died in the wool North supporter, wasn't happy when many years ago I persuaded his now 19 year old son to jump camp and join us on the dark side.

I have failed with my sons though. They say they barrack for the Pies but they don't really care at all, or even know what is happening from week to week. I did all of the right things. The jumper, the scarves, took them to games. We don't want to go they said. Football is boring they said. We don't want to play it either they said. They played the game only when forced to by their school. Basketball got them. They love the 2k basketball computer game, as do their friends. Unfortunately, AFL will never have the scale to have anything near that game. As a result of that game, they probably know the height, weight and stats of every NBA player going back to the 1980's.

I enjoy watching them play basketball but would have enjoyed them playing football more. Little brother is 6 feet 3 at 15 years old. Someone mentioned to me a few weeks ago that he has the same build as Pendlebury and moves like him. Big brother at 17 is 6 feet 2, is a very good athlete, is quick and has a very different build, being a lean and muscular 93kg.

I am not saying for a second that they would have been AFL footballers, the odds are that if they were of my generation they would have played local footy and done quite well, but in a sign of the times they have been lost to the game, and that may lead to any kids that they may have also being lost to the game.

The funny thing is though, they have seen old footy videos (yes, video cassettes) of mine from the 70's and 80's and they both liked Daicos and BT. Daicos because, well, you know why, and BT, because he was a pyscho, and you don't see that in regimented sport any more.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:31 pm

Do they like watching "roaming Brian" now?
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:16 pm

Another aspect of training ya kids to follow a tradition—the “the hate Collingwood tradition)

Coupla kids age around 9 tops at a pie stand at MetroCon “Hope we kick these Collingwood,s arse,s

Their old man taught them his

K 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:25 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
...They love the 2k basketball computer game, as do their friends. Unfortunately, AFL will never have the scale to have anything near that game. As a result of that game, they probably know the height, weight and stats of every NBA player going back to the 1980's.

What is this game? Do they choose their team from NBA players and then play as one of them? Is it realistic?
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:35 pm

My 3 daughters 27, 22 & 19 are loud, proud Pies! I thought that would be challenged, living here in the West, surrounded by clueless wiggles fans, but they are as passionate as me, almost.
When I got rid of the old Fairlane I was going to put the Collingwood number plates into storage... Jess (19) wanted them on her car, done!

2 of my Grandkids are Pies for sure. But Jaxx's Dad is a wiggle man. He has Pies gear and wiggles gear. Its guna be tough, but I reckon old Grandad will be able to get him to go the right way Smile

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:41 am
Post subject: Re: Raising kids to follow the traditionReply with quote

masoncox wrote:
I was raised with one religion ....The CFC!!!!
Out of my 4 kids I have instilled the religion into 3 of them.
The fourth one has been a problem
He barracked for the Hawks for a few years much to my horror.
He has now become completely and utterly not interested.
That is better than being a Hawks supporter I suppose.
Mind you he played 50 junior footy games and gathered I reckon about 10 kicks and 5 handballs .....total......I kid you not.
Worst footballer I ever saw.
But I was devastated when he threw in the towel on his career.
I am now working on my grand kids and all of them barrack for Collingwood. Except the youngest at 2 hasn't a clue.
Anyway, if you are a true believer then the onus is on you.
Indoctrinate anybody into the firm, in particular family!!!!!

My best friend is a hawks supporter. Disappointed for you that one of your kids bucked the tradition and followed Hawthorn, then lost interest and now doesn't follow a team. However another way of looking at it is that he following his dream and played junior footy without succeeding and now does his own thing. Sounds to me that you raised him very well.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:10 pm

K wrote:
Do they like watching "roaming Brian" now?

No, because they don’t watch AFL.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:18 pm

K wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
...They love the 2k basketball computer game, as do their friends. Unfortunately, AFL will never have the scale to have anything near that game. As a result of that game, they probably know the height, weight and stats of every NBA player going back to the 1980's.

What is this game? Do they choose their team from NBA players and then play as one of them? Is it realistic?

It’s a very realistic basketball game where you pick players from the NBA both past and present to play against other teams. You are part of the game by building your own player with various physical attributes. The game is played by millions of people around the world. It sucks kids in and indoctrinates them. A new version is released each year. Soccer does the same thing. Games like these are a real worry as they chip away at the AFL at its base, being the young kids, as it teaches them all about the history of rival sports.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:23 pm

Yeah, I agree that must be a powerful influence. I have to poke around and see what there is for the AFL. You'd think it's not so hard (i.e. expensive relative to the size of the market) to produce something, possibly without the fantastic graphics that some of those games have.

Okay, there's something called AFL Evolution... Must compare with the FIFA & NBA games... AFL Evolution has a demo...

Now all the kids are playing Fortnite, maybe the AFL has been saved...

We should probably spare a thought for the plight of Gaelic Football, too.
SteveH67 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:51 pm

Unfortunately tradition will disappear with my demise down the track.

I am a 3rd generation supporter, Grandfather played for Collingwood thirds back in the days of Coventry, Colliers etc.

I never had children, so it ends with me.

Nephews and Nieces not interested in AFL, given I am in a RL town these days.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:57 pm

Converting an NRL fan would be even better.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:21 pm

I'm in a mixed marriage in more ways than one

My wife is an Essendon supporter who has taken renewed interest in Football last year (how surprising)

My oldest was born in August 1990 at the birthing Centre at Monash Medical Centre and is a Collingwood supporter

My Youngest was born in 1993 when Essendon beat Collingwood in a night game (on TV) at the Wodonga Hospital and like my wife is an Essendon Supporter, Like my wife she is an Essendon Supporter and also found renewed interest in Football last year.

My family of origin barrack for Collingwood.

My parents migrated to Australia in 1950. Dad was a fruit picker before coming to Melbourne (Lived in Bonegilla - coincidentally near Wodonga). Back in Melbourne three children were hatched & trying to make ends meet & be able to work they needed a baby sitter in our East Brunswick home. Mrs Mack was the baby sitter. According to family lore Mrs Mack spoke like sergeant major when she said “if you’re going to be living in Melbourne you’re going to need a football club to barrack for: Collingwood’s your team” or “Thou shalt barrack for Collingwood”

So it was spoken.
So it was heard and,
So it was observed.

Go Pies

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:15 pm

K wrote:
Yeah, I agree that must be a powerful influence. I have to poke around and see what there is for the AFL. You'd think it's not so hard (i.e. expensive relative to the size of the market) to produce something, possibly without the fantastic graphics that some of those games have.

Okay, there's something called AFL Evolution... Must compare with the FIFA & NBA games... AFL Evolution has a demo...

Now all the kids are playing Fortnite, maybe the AFL has been saved...

We should probably spare a thought for the plight of Gaelic Football, too.

It may be a small sample size, but my kids and their friends have become bored with Fortnite, having dropped off playing it about 6 months ago.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:18 pm

As of now, I haven't attempted the AFL Evolution demo. Certainly, the graphics seem closer to cartoon than to movie quality, and the player movements seem a tad (ahem...) clunky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: